Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for people that trial and rabbit hunt. If you could have your choice between two different beagles. No. (1) A beagle that has all field champions in their pedigree of bloodline of your choice and age of your choice, male or female or No (2) A grade male or female and age of your choice that is everything you have ever wanted in a rabbit dog ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would agree with the previous two. I got rid of some very good grade dogs when I got into registered ones. I know they are worth more and bring alot more money, but the grade dogs are sometimes better rabbit dogs than alot of the registered ones. JMO

·
Registered
28 Posts
i would prefer the grade dogs. cause i aint got to worry about keepn track of papers, registering litters, fees, transfering papers, ect. i already have to deal with all that with my racoon dogs.

i like the grade beagles cause i didnt pay much for em. and if i loose em, the only thing i lost is a good dog. and i got sum good grade beagles. they can run with the best of em. sho nuf rabbit dogs. thats all i need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would have to agree with bass master as long as my dogs hunt good i dont care if they have papers or not just love to hunt rabbits and hear my dogs run

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think i will make a comment here. I realise their is no perfect dog, at least i've never had one. But to be able to own a beagle as i mentioned about the grade dog that was a dog of your choice would mean more to me than a beagle with just a pedigree even though it was loaded with field champions. This is really a loaded question. A beagle of your choice means to me first a true jump dog, that in itself would be worth a lot. But not only a jump dog but a dog that can run a track so good he or she has very few if any losses. One that handles excellent, retrieves the rabbits back to you when it is killed. Very good kennel manners, a dog with a big mouth of my choosing whether it be bawl, chop squall. Remember this is a dog of your choosing. So you registered dog people you can't make room for a grade dog like this ?

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
I think the answer will be different for different periods within ones own lifetime. There have been times when I only wanted a dog or pack of dogs that were economical, (lower purchase prices and no reg. fees) and all I wanted was to shoot some rabbits or sit on a tailgate and enjoy a good race. At those times I prefered grade dogs. When I want to trial, raise pups, and keep records I preferred registered dogs. Registered or not I expect dogs to handle good, produce rabbits and pursue them to a conclusion. I also believe that dogs can do these things and also have a good mouth, good conformation and be a color I like. It all comes down to what you are willing to accept.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
well, in the off season, its fun to listen to people talk about their registered dogs, because you can keep up with them, and know where they came from as well as where they're goin. But during rabbit season, my grade dogs are just fine, cause then I can get on here and brag about how many rabbits we're running, and nobody cares who they are. So to answer your question, I'll just have to keep my grade dogs, and covet all these high bred blackcreek hounds. :thumb: Kinda reminds me of the Ford Chevy thing, you really want one of those pretty four door Chevrolets with the beautiful paint job, but as long as your old beat up ford with the holes in the floorboard, is getting you there and back, you'll keep driving it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As some of you may know, I aquired a beagle last fall
(8wks) but lost the address and phone # of the people that I baught him from (and map to get there; very complicated location). I have had him neutered, and he is now 9+ mths. I wish that I had requested more information on him, not because I would have wanted to breed him, but only to see his parent's background. The people that I got him from said that they had not registered his mother, and while the father was owned by their hunting friend, they couldn't remember whether he had papers or not. There is no question that he is purebred, and tracks at least as well as his mother. So-- that being the case-- registered would be nice for background.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
dblevens, you seriously need to try a Toyota.
I probably will as soon as the passenger door falls off my old truck. Can't get rid of it while its still got a door on it. Was gonna ask about the gas pedal sticking, but it don't matter, mine sticks all the time, so I'm used to it.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Pedigrees are an important thing when it comes to breeding dogs. I would rather have a reg dog that runs like I like, if that is a choice.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I keep both. I like them both. It depends on what you want. There is old saying around our neck of the woods:" You deserve what you accept." I'll take an amen on that .. I think both my types are equal in the field, but when it comes to selling most people jump on the registered dogs . Funny thing is they all came from the same stock. Some I took the time to do the paper work and some I did not . That is probably true of a lot of people..

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's strange sometime how people interpret a question. The question was not about registered dogs vs grade dogs nor was it about what you already own. I have all registered dogs myself and i have owned some good ones and some that were not so good. As i mentioned in choice no.1 you get a reg. dog male or female, age of your choice and a pedigree full of field champions and that's all you get. In choosing dog no. 2 you don't get a reg. dog but you get any kind of of dog you want, a dog of your choice means i can choose to make him the best dog that's ever run a rabbit. Doesn't anyone want to own the best beagle alive whether it be grade or registered ? In understanding the question the key to the answer is in the word choice. It's a question to make one think on what is being said.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If I just wanted a rabbit dog I would pick the cheaper of the two. If I wanted a dog to use for hunting and breeding, I would only used registered dogs. Knowing pedigree information is extremely important when breeding. before I got into registered dogs, I bought 4 different female pups to raise and breed to an old grade male I had. They were all supposed to be from great hunting parents, but when they were grown and started they were all worthless. There are a lot of great grade dogs in the world, but few of them came from careful and managed breedings, they are usually genetic freaks. I don't want to take that chance again and thats why i finally broke down and paid more money for registered dogs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Grade dog

First of all let me say I generally keep dogs that are papered but if you have one heck of a grade dog that is really nice please come up and pleasure run with me. If the grade dog smokes my papered gundogs I will be trying to by him from you:thumb:

·
Registered
646 Posts
This question is for people that trial and rabbit hunt. If you could have your choice between two different beagles. No. (1) A beagle that has all field champions in their pedigree of bloodline of your choice and age of your choice, male or female or No (2) A grade male or female and age of your choice that is everything you have ever wanted in a rabbit dog ?

This is a no brainer , I will take the beagle that is everything I have every been looking for in a hound, papers or not. :up:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have both. The grade dogs are as good as the registered dogs.The advantage to papers is that if i like a dog wellenough I can usually stay close to that bloodline.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts