young dogs important traits

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by davemcc, Jun 28, 2020.

1. davemcc

davemcc Well-Known Member

In previous threads we’ve talked about faults we don’t like but could tolerate.
    In this thread let’s talk about the two most important Traits you look for in a young dog. If it’s brains please explain
    At least we’re back talking dog !

For me :: above all is HUNT. If they can’t r won’t hunt and jump there own rabbit I have absolutely no Use for them.
    Second : since of direction a young dog that just seems to know which way the rabbit went the ones that always seem to hunt the right direction in a ck

That, Seark, AJ Johnson and 9 others like this.
  2. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

1 Hunt,don't need to be walked to find a rabbit
    2. Brains enough to learn which way the rabbit went and when to tongue and work a check right

3. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Hunt is a given but they must turn back at the check to the point of loss if they loop back they will get wider as they age

4. KyBrushBuster

KyBrushBuster Well-Known Member

1. Good family tree. If the dogs parents can't run a rabbit the way I expect a dog to how could I expect their offspring to?
    2. Intelligence (brains). I want the pup that is level headed. Doesn't get over excited. When I walk up to the kennel I want the pup that sits there studying my every move.
    3. Hunt. I don't want a dog that ranges out to far but I can't put up with one standing at my feet. I want a pup that I can call into a brush pile and it dives right in.
    4. Check dog. When they go into a check I expect them to stay close before swinging out. I want to hear that nose working and that head slinging from side to side. Like I tell my ballplayers "Act like you want it worse than the next guy!"
    5. Tote the line. If the rabbit is running straight ahead I want them pushing straight ahead. When the scent stops out front then you can snap back.

On a side note. I want my dogs to get excited to hear my truck coming down the driveway or when I open the door at feeding time. But unless there is a rabbit or Bigfoot in the back yard you better shut your trap when momma's in bed.

5. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    No one has mentioned but good kennel manners and obedience are traits that I appreciate in my young dogs. I believe these are also passed down.

6. duke1

duke1 Well-Known Member

Kennel manners are VERY important. I got rid of a puppy before a year old beacuse of it. I have a male that learned fast and i can tell him to be quiet through the window if need be!
    1) hunt- never stop looking for a rabbit if you're outside of the kennel. Other than eating, thats what they live for
    2) heart- if they have been in the puppy pen the whole day when i go to pick them up, although tired they should still be walking a rabbit if they cant run.... not laying by the gate

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    That, Seark, AJ Johnson and 7 others like this.
  7. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

SE Ohio
    In a YOUNG hound, I look for conformation first, then desire to hark to the pack and stay in the running without causing any issues for the others or me.

8. Grizzly creek beagles

Grizzly creek beagles Well-Known Member

Hunt/search I want them in the brush that rabbit is not at my feet and the pup shouldn’t be either.

Handles good and has some common sense which I believe includes—
    Dog that hunts with me
    Comes in when toned
    Trash proof
    Kennel manners
    Quite in the box/tied out
    Wants to please you

learns from the older dogs and contributes to the pack. In a check everybody better be looking for the line.

9. longview

longview Member

For me it’s brains first seems to me if they have some grey matter upstairs everything else will fall into place. Brains hunt foot in that order for me

10. 10ACbeagler

10ACbeagler Well-Known Member

TN
    Heart and brains

If they have heart then they should have the desire to hunt and not give up. If they have brains they learn to figure out tough situations in the field. It also ties in with lots of other things like not barking in the kennel or check, not running off game, handling issues, etc.

I cant stand a dog that won't listen or is shy of people.

11. wad

wad Well-Known Member

Il.
    They gotta have a nose. Nothing bothers me more than to watch a dog on a check thats crossed the line time and again and cant smell it.

12. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Well-Known Member

I would say determination and brains but this is about the same

JDW, That, AJ Johnson and 6 others like this.
  13. davemcc

Huntsman you’re the first to mention confirmation which really surprises me I would of thought that would have been high on the Priority list. Interesting how so meany mentioned kennel manners as one of the top priorities. I can definitely see how that’s a big plus in picking a pup. I’m also surprised no one has mentioned speed yet. Interesting keep them coming

14. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

Dave you said top 2. Confirmation is number 3 for me

15. davemcc

Bowguy if I was to pick nun three most important on my list it would be without a doubt desire/ determination I’d take a dog with a little less natural ability and tons of desire any day over one that has a little more natural ability but lacks desire

That, MackC, Bowguy 1 and 7 others like this.
  16. davemcc

I can see that LT you have some good looking hounds

17. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

SE Ohio
    Yes, I was thinking of a young hound just starting to hunt. I think most of these replies are more about young hounds who are started or well started. I have bred to as many show champions as field champions thru the years, so conformation is always a starting point for me. If a young hound does not have an acceptable level of this, I would not bother further with him. Then when field work starts, I like to see a hound with some sense about him, and a great desire to go see/learn what the others are doing. I don’t like a hound who appears lazy or indifferent toward work. Also do not like high-strung overly hyper hounds.

That, Seark, AJ Johnson and 5 others like this.
  18. KyBrushBuster

KyBrushBuster Well-Known Member

Lol somehow I missed "top 2" traits. My bad guys, sometimes I can overrun a little!

As for conformation, I guess that one is just a given. I ain't hunting with no ugly dogs. Even if beauty is only in the eye of the beholder.

19. jeffro

jeffro Well-Known Member

No way i could place more importance on any two traits in a hound.I am not very good with compromise so i go through lots of hounds.May never get exactly what i want but as a whole i think am closer than i ever been.Still looking,studying and breeding.

20. Hippy

Hippy Well-Known Member

Hunt--Patience/Brains. They have to be in the Brush @ all times--make turns & NOT over run the trac/QUICK recovery when they do
    Handle (Brains) I NEVER carry a leash with me my dogs obey my commands and know when it is time to go--NO KENNEL barking EXCEPT @ feeding time is prohibited

Jim