Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wonder, how do ya'll do it up there in the snow all the time. I'm just praying this stuff will melt before the weekend. My dogs can't run a rabbit across the snow to save their lives. If a dog hunts in the snow all the time will they learn how to do it? Or do you just hang up your hunting coat after the snows start to fall?

·
Registered
214 Posts
experience definitely helps. you play the way you practice ain't that what they say. i don't like a lite fluffy snow a wet packing snow is better i think. and definitely not a crusty snow. this is just my experience though.i will go any time i can though:clap:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the way I look at it. I go whenever I can, but with a snow like we got yesterday, today was pointless. I more or less just took the dogs out to stretch their legs. That had never seen snow untill two weeks ago, and they can't chase a rabbit in it worth a dern. hope its all gone by the weekend.:headscratch:

·
Registered
86 Posts
pa. beagler is right on. I usually try to hunt when i can not always when i want to .There are alot of days the average hound doesnt run very well here because of the snow/ice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
MN

In MN there really isnt a choice, if you want to hunt pretty much any time after november then there will be snow. In my experience the dogs really have no real problem with it at all unless its super icy. We just got a pup from Mississippi and he hasnt had any trouble what so ever with the snow.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I think the problem in Arkansas, is that the snow will start to melt in the day, and then most of the times freezes back over. My quess is that is were the problems are at. Early in the mornings, my dogs cant hardly even find a rabbit, but later in the day when it starts to turn slushie, they do much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sure that is your problem Plumber. Its hard to track things on ice but once things warm up and get more humid with the melting snow scenting conditions get better and i personally believe the rabbits start moving around a bit more. I think that it probably helps that the northern dogs run in the snow A LOT more than other dogs further south would. They just get used to it where as dogs that are used to no snow are suddenly introduced to snowy conditions and different scenting conditions have a difficult time getting used to it. This is only made worse when the dogs are only asked to run in the snow every now and then in my opinion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts