Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started letting the grass grow at the back of my property. It's a 90x60 area that I want to breed rabbits in. Mainly for my children to make a few bucks. I have 3 already interested in Jr handling. Possibly get an occasional pup started early in it although I seldomly have pups. I'm building brush piles and planting blackberry briars. I will order the fence soon. Would you folks build a pen this small? How successful can I be with breeding real rabbits in this sized area?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
View attachment 55197 I started letting the grass grow at the back of my property. It's a 90x60 area that I want to breed rabbits in. Mainly for my children to make a few bucks. I have 3 already interested in Jr handling. Possibly get an occasional pup started early in it although I seldomly have pups. I'm building brush piles and planting blackberry briars. I will order the fence soon. Would you folks build a pen this small? How successful can I be with breeding real rabbits in this sized area?
You trying to breed cottontail native rabbits or San Juan?

Its big enough to have them breed, but you will need a lot of cover. That is a Hawk and Owl breakfast area paradise. If you are breeding San Juan, they breed in a cage, they have babies in a nesting box, in about thirty days. They will breed again immediately after giving birth, if you put them with a Buck for a couple of hours. Wean the babies at three weeks and as soon as they are eating rabbit food, put them on the ground., Next week she has another litter. Repeat!
You will be knee deep in rabbits and going broke buying rabbit food, if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I have something similar, I put a 8X12 yard barn in it. Rabbits have a knack for coming up and hiding under yard barns and nesting around them. The yard barn also store the lawn mower and garden tiller(bonus). If I want to trap rabbits, I go to folks along the highway that garden and have out buildings, they seem to have the biggest rabbit problems that need help.
Buck rabbits will kill each other, so you'll need only one buck/ 3 doe, and to change bucks every year. Use tree trimmings for brush piles, rabbits teeth constantly grow and they will gnaw to wear them down. Fruit tree trimmings seem to be a favorite.
Best of luck...

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Wild game have learned to hang out where there are more humans. I live in a gated community and the only cover is the shrubs and flowers around the houses. Everything else is sidewalks, driveways into the garage and roads leading into the properties. Often I see a rabbit hopping down the sidewalk or road. I see squirrels all the time and wild ducks. For two or three years one of my friends and neighbors had a wild duck set and raise little ones near one of his gutter downspouts. I never see a predator, cats are kept inside and all dogs are on leashes. Great place for wild animals to raise and exist.

·
Registered
320 Posts
There is a guy around Sebastapol, MS that starts dogs.
He has maybe a 5-7 acre pen, but you have to drive into
a smaller pen to access that pen. There are a few sheds,
a camper, and a few other assorted things around.
The rabbits raise themselves in the small pen (they have
plenty of cover). He just traps what he needs to out of
there and puts in the larger pen as/if needed. Always
has rabbits. They key to this, in my opinion, is that he
is there almost everyday most of the day. He is on
constant patrol. It works out very well for him.

He never allows dogs in the smaller pen, he also does
not allow access unless he is there. He always closes
gate as soon as you pass through (both ways) no
exceptions. The smaller pen is maybe 1 acre or so.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wild game have learned to hang out where there are more humans. I live in a gated community and the only cover is the shrubs and flowers around the houses. Everything else is sidewalks, driveways into the garage and roads leading into the properties. Often I see a rabbit hopping down the sidewalk or road. I see squirrels all the time and wild ducks. For two or three years one of my friends and neighbors had a wild duck set and raise little ones near one of his gutter downspouts. I never see a predator, cats are kept inside and all dogs are on leashes. Great place for wild animals to raise and exist.
My cousin couldn't wait for me to visit her in Dallas, TX. Wild rabbits were in her subdivision just like you mentioned. No woods, only shrubs and low bushes.. I could not believe what I saw hahaha. The neighbors probably wouldn't like me running by dogs is their bushes:LOL:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Game is thick in the town I live in.I see abundant rabbits, squirrels,deer, groundhogs, waterfowl and even turkey and eagles all in town, but then again I know when and where to look.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get some pallets to pile up for rabbits to hide, put in feeders also. Put a hot electric wire at the outside bottom and at the top of the fence. JMO
Might want to put a coyote decoy by the fence, it may deter hawks and owls. JMO
What do you put in your feeder, store bought rabbit pellets, corn, or alfalfa?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
SALT and Feed store Rabbit pellets, can put in a little hay, and corn.
Make sure the whole pen grows up with grass, your berry plants.
Good luck let us know how it is working out. JMO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts