Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay... been a hell of a week and i HAVE to run some dawgs to get it behind me, problem is weather man says its gonna be raining. As with my bow hunting... I have rain gear for running in the rain... but it sure is hard to get out there when it is a falling.

What about the rest of you... are you fair or fowl weather runers?

I even went and bought ne a hat to kep my bald noggin dry...:headscratch:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Yeah, I think i'll sit home and watch the rain. I have to work in it, so if I ain't gotta be out there, I ain't gonna be out there.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
i don't mind running in the rain as long as its not just pouring the dogs always seem to run well when its rainy out.

·
Site Sponsor
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... I got up and collard the hounds... rain had stopped sometime before daylight. I decided I was going to take my youngest female "Ripley". This would be her first time in the field. So Chase, Hunter, Twister and Ripley would be the cast today.

We went to the first field where I had decent running earlier tis fall... but not so much as a single strike and it had started to rain again by the time we were heading back to the box.

took them to my second field where we gnerally run non stop. It was tough to get back out of the truck knowing the rain was pouring. But I was already out there... may as well get at least one run in.

We started to the left by a pond... during snow all the rabbits seemed set up in here... Chase struck... Twister soon joined... but could not produce a bunny. Seems like the feed lines protected by the rain held scent... but when they got out of cover it had been washed away, tough on the hounds.

relocate to the big thicket.... all hounds working tight... soon Hunter strikes... Chase and Twister open in unisen .... and be damned if there is not a new voice in my pack... Ripley... first bunny and opening. Rabbit pushes thru a barbwire fence and accross a trail into the hollow off to my left... then hounds a pounding... Ripley was not tonguing at this point... just trying to keep up. But she was right there with them... occasionaly talking to me.

I suppose the breeding season as started cause this rabbit was bee lining away and showing no sign of turning. I see a neighboring farms large dogs heading to the action so I had to hit the keats and call the race off.

Relocate ... raining pretty good now... miserable... but the thoughts of my little lady running a rabbit keeps me out there. I talk with David on the cell... excited at the occurance... he, as a good coach will... advises how to be sure she is running rabbit and not chasing dogs. Hunter strikes... hounds hark... Ripley hits the strike area with nose on the ground... good sign David comments. But again cannot produce the bunny... lots of bumping... but no bunny.

I have had it with the rain... comfortable that Chase got a little excercise... and i see his desire to find the bunny... I am content that he will do well next weekend... so "To The Box" I command... we make that long dreaded walk.
I get Ripley and Twiset in the box and Chase / Nunter must have bed jumped... they were screaiming thru the thicket and toward the hollar again... Ripley and Twister were trying to tear the doors of my box... so to the ground with them... soon all 4 hounds were yellin at me... they circled this bunny twice before a breakdown0... Ripley was not doing so good at keeping up... she was "boo hooing" more than tonguing... so I called her to me. The breakdown lasted long enough called... so I leashed all the hounds and boxed them up.

Glad to get outa the rain... but more proud of my lil Ripley... was well worth gettign wet for.

D

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good time. I went this morning, started at 6 and finished about 9. I took my 6 month old pups out of Teddy mac, and Lock-on and they stayed right with the big dogs, giving mouth and noses to the ground. I as so pleased with them, I could have about 3 more of the same LOL. Ran all females today. Take the males out next time. :thumb:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sounds like ya had a good time. I usually run in the rain as long as it isnt coming down heavy. I have always had decent runs in the rain when ive gone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like running in the rain at the club for 2 reasons..
#1..Nobody else wants to run when its raining..so i get the grounds to myself...
#2----Rabbits will not hole up when its raining..they will not go into their holes when its raining because the first part of the entrance ( which is lower than the "living quarters" ) is filled with water...
I have had some long runs when it is just a heavy drizzle..just enough to keep the ground soggy.
I started a few dogs in the rain also....

So get out with your rain slicker and enjoy the wet!!!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
if its the weekend and its raining i go. not to much rain this year but did have a bunch of snow, would take the rain instead of the snow. anytime is good rain snow or sunshine, sounds like you did ok in the rain. dave aka buckeye

·
Site Sponsor
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Dave... welcome aboard... glad to see ya here as well...

I did have fun... but now ALL of my females are in heat... males keep chewing thru chainlink... howling al night... man what a ruckous!!!

should be over soon and can get all of them out running on some of them spring races...

Did you sign up to win a hat?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am working 3 sarurdays and off 1 saturday so I go when I can. Mostly evenings. If it is not pouring I will go. Rather run on a rainy day than when the wind is howling but I don't have much choice anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts