Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I'm pooped, I had some new lanes pushed and I've been putting out seed, lime and fertilizer. I bushogged 4 acres on the east line and clipped the rest of the grassed lanes too. Then mowed the yard which is about another 7 acres.
I planted Alyce Clover on the new lanes because it is supposed to grow all summer. I hope it works since I have never used it before. According to the information David Riley sent me it should grow to a height of 12'' to 24". I planted around 1 1/2 acres on the lanes. Maybe it can grow faster than the deer and rabbits can eat it. I fertilized and limed the grass lanes too.
My wife and I rode the 4 wheeler over the back 40 about 7:00 pm and saw 4 rabbits sitting in the grassed lanes. I will try to put some more salt out for them when the rain ends.
I've also been seeing a grey fox on the front 40 that needs to find somewhere else to live. Any ideas?

Roger

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'd leave the fox alone it prefers rats and mice over rabbits. I'd be more worried about clearing potential nesting ground during nesting season.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have got one more year of sowing serica and bi color serica in my 20 acres pen.I also have been cutting little trees and putting Tordon on the but of tree .

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd leave the fox alone it prefers rats and mice over rabbits. I'd be more worried about clearing potential nesting ground during nesting season.
The grey fox is a solitary hunter, and eats a lot of different things such as berries, nuts, birds, insects, rabbits and other rodents. The grey fox is an omnivore. If it has more food than it can eat, the fox will bury it and go back later. It will mark the spot with urine so that it can find it when it gets hungry.

Trobin my situation is that I have an excellent rabbit population. When I say this I mean you can ride over my property and more than likely you will see a rabbit or rabbits which in my mind makes for an easier chance of a meal than berries or mice. I may try to catch it in a live trap and relocate it.

The lanes I pushed on my place only affected about 1 1/2 acres. There are still 80 acres of nesting grounds. I am trying to manage the property to benefit wildlife as I hunt deer on it as well. The one thing that I have really been trying to eliminate is wild hogs. I took out 16 big hogs and 5 pigs this year. Hogs are devastating to habitat not to mention the damage to pastures and hunting grounds.

Roger

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
The grey fox is a solitary hunter, and eats a lot of different things such as berries, nuts, birds, insects, rabbits and other rodents. The grey fox is an omnivore. If it has more food than it can eat, the fox will bury it and go back later. It will mark the spot with urine so that it can find it when it gets hungry.

Trobin my situation is that I have an excellent rabbit population. When I say this I mean you can ride over my property and more than likely you will see a rabbit or rabbits which in my mind makes for an easier chance of a meal than berries or mice. I may try to catch it in a live trap and relocate it.

The lanes I pushed on my place only affected about 1 1/2 acres. There are still 80 acres of nesting grounds. I am trying to manage the property to benefit wildlife as I hunt deer on it as well. The one thing that I have really been trying to eliminate is wild hogs. I took out 16 big hogs and 5 pigs this year. Hogs are devastating to habitat not to mention the damage to pastures and hunting grounds.

Roger
WEll, don't relocate that dude around Walcott! I always wonder what a pack of beagle hounds would do with a wild hog, and now, I know who to ask. I'd like to put an arrow through one of those dudes.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Rodger,
Here in Alabama we call that a good half day of work.
What did you do for the other half ?

Sounds like you have things in ship shape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts