Wild Rabbit ?

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by RKW, Mar 25, 2010.

1. RKW

RKW Active Member

If you trapped wild rabbits would they raise in captivity? Has anyone tried?

Roger

2. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

You have about a 5% chance of the breeding in a cage.

They WILL breed in a running pen "IF" you have food/water/cover.

3. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

my dad tried several times could not get to breed in a cage though

4. Not gonna happen. They won't make it in captivity, and a tame rabbit won't make it in the wild.:headscratch:

5. RKW

RKW Active Member

What about trying in a 1/4 acre pen with food ,water, and cover?

Roger

6. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

Yes that should work ok. Just make sure they have year round feed/water/cover. Also dont let it get to over populated because they will stop breeding.

In a 1/4 acre pen - 2 bucks and 3 does will produce you plenty of rabbit to restock in the wild or other pens. Remember - the less walking lanes the better in a smaller type pen.

7. RKW

RKW Active Member

Bglenut, what I was thinking was a pen that was large enough to raise wild rabbits with a way to drive them into a smaller catch pen on one end when I needed to remove some of them. I would not want walking lanes except around the edge of the pen. Instead of building it in a square I considered a rectangle shape making it much longer than wide to help in a rabbit round up. Something like 50' X 300' = 15,000 SF which would be a little over 1/4 acre. Do you have any suggestions or do you still think this will work?

Roger

8. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

sounds like it would work

9. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

Yes - That should work ok . My cousin had a 100x250 foot puppy starting pen and he raised plenty of baby rabbits in it, plus started a a ton of puppies in there too. He would just leave several box traps out there in the pen and feed the rabbits corn in the traps. When it was time to trap a few rabbit out he would just set the traps to catch them. That is the easy way to do it.

Just remember, If you use it as a starting pen for pups, as soon as they learn to bark on a line. take them out. Also, when you start to see your first small baby rabbits, you need to shut the pen down to let the first group of young ones get raise (about a month or maybe longer).

10. Ken James

Ken James Active Member

MS.
    Good advise Dave. We have two pens, one we can raise, in it is about 1/2 an acre and the other is 17 acres I try to feed them year round. I have a friend that lets me pickup all the corn his picker misses and believe me it is more than enough to feed . We get several bushels of corn . When they are raising I try to put some alfalfa pellets in the feeders to give them a little extra advantage. It takes a ton of work to keep wild rabbits in a pen. The rewards are worth the effort in training your dogs.