Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wild rabbits eat different foods during different seasons of the year but they maintain a plant based diet. They have a wood based diet in the cold season (gnaw tree bark, twigs, pine needles), but they usually feed on green plants during the rest of the time (clover, forbs and leafy weeds, dry and green grasses, shrubs or tree seedlings). They will eat just about any kind of plant material they can find. Through most of the year this will consist of grass combined with other leafy plants they can find naturally, such as clover and wildflowers.
This is a complete guide What Do Wild Rabbits Eat? Complete Guide About Rabbit.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Swamp rabbits are herbivorous; they eat a variety of foraged plants, including grasses, sedges, shrubs, tree bark seedlings, and twigs.

They feed mainly at night but rain showers will often cause them to feed during daytime as well.

A study has found that the preferred foods of S. aquaticus (Swamp Rabbits) are savannah Panic Grass (Phanopyrum gymnocarpon), False Nettle (Boehmeria cylindrica), Dewberry (Rubus trivialis) and Greenbrier (Smilax bona-nox).

Swamp Rabbits like other lagomorphs, have a (double) digestion.

Food passes through their gut (twice), first producing soft, green feces (cecotropes) which still contain nutrients. These are eaten by the animal again (coprophagy), and after further digestion the remains form drier, dark brown or (black hard pellets), which are not eaten.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Swamp rabbits are herbivorous; they eat a variety of foraged plants, including grasses, sedges, shrubs, tree bark seedlings, and twigs.

They feed mainly at night but rain showers will often cause them to feed during daytime as well.

A study has found that the preferred foods of S. aquaticus (Swamp Rabbits) are savannah Panic Grass (Phanopyrum gymnocarpon), False Nettle (Boehmeria cylindrica), Dewberry (Rubus trivialis) and Greenbrier (Smilax bona-nox).

Swamp Rabbits like other lagomorphs, have a (double) digestion.

Food passes through their gut (twice), first producing soft, green feces (cecotropes) which still contain nutrients. These are eaten by the animal again (coprophagy), and after further digestion the remains form drier, dark brown or (black hard pellets), which are not eaten.
Thanks Mitch, I had a beagle once who must have been one of those fancy Lagomorps, and here all along I thought he was just a .........eater. dang should have kept him if I had only known, he was just saving me money on feed and clean up time, a double digester for sure. On a serious note Mitch appreciate all the info you pass along on these post very enjoyable reading

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Wikipedia...copy and paste....and simplify!...... Mr. Dunn.....now you know I how live....LOST AS A GOOSE IN A HAIL STORM.....without spell check I can't spell anything with more than four letters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts