Where did it go

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by Robert L. Dunn, May 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Addi

Addi Well-Known Member

Anyone who wants a better understanding or Race, Wealth, and Politics, I recommend Dr Thomas Sowell.
    If his knowledge could be shared with the youth of America, starting today in High School, the country would begin to heal immediately. He is a great example of why the myths of different races are lies that are propped up and supported by racists and race baiters.
    Its sad that we are being used as pawns to keep us under their control.

I watched last night as he gave a preview of his book. "Wealth, Poverty, and Politics".
    I'm going to buy a copy for each of my grandchildren.

MackC likes this.
  2. will messer

will messer SUPER MODERATOR Staff Member

I came home to Chicago in 1970 ~185 lb with 27--28 inch waist line---physically fit. The city advertised they were hiring 1500cops in the next ?? years. I took the test and was 475 out of 1500. year wait at most to start training. The commissioner came by and visited---parting words were ---YOU must support the democratic party~~
    A year goes by---I go downtown and look at list and I am still475 on the waiting list. I called the commissioner and asked why people were being moved in front of me. He told--"I told you-- you have to support the party-----you have not been to one fund raiser. He explained you have to take 1500.00 worth of tickets--(75) and sell or buy yourself and turn in at the banquette...THIS WAS EVERY QUARTER !!---otherwise 6thousand a year for the job-----I told him hell no I will wait my turn---he shook his head and said---SON~ YOU GOT A LONG WAIT
    I moved to Alabama in 1980 and guess what----my number was still the same.
    THAT IS WHATS WRONG WITH OUR COUNTRY----POLITICIANS ARE RUINING IT!!!!!!!!!!

AJ Johnson, MackC, Circle4p and 2 others like this.

3. Addi

Addi Well-Known Member

Thanks Will for making my argument.

Different situation but still relevant to politics. In 1988, I was employed by TVA building Nuclear Power Plants. There was, due to politics, a big lay off. I decided to apply for employment in the postal service. I was guaranteed as a veteran to have first preference in gov't jobs. The lady told me, sorry you must be a minority, or have service connected disabilities before you can take the test.
    So much for government promises.
    It wasn't a big deal for me. Just part of life.

4. Swampman

Swampman Well-Known Member

Wisconsin
    As for the video, the only one I've seen is from a cell phone.
    Where are the body cams showing:
    • why he was cuffed?
    • where he was cuffed at?
    • how he got from being cuffed to the squad car?
    • the struggle in the squad car?
    • how he got from the squad car to the ground?
    Just to be clear, I am not condoning what happened, why the cop kept his knee on his neck is beyond me, but there are many pieces of the puzzle missing.
    Also, we as Americans are guaranteed due process, innocent until proven guilty.
    Let all of the facts come out, then prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

I have friends who are police officers, from beat cops, sheriff deputies, to a homicide detective. They all have very tough jobs and you have no idea what they have to deal with day in/day out.

As for the statement " Let’s hire strong men and women to be cops. Now days anyone can be a cop. That’s part of the problem."
    This is called affirmative action, look at any government job opening, being it fire, police, city worker, postal service, etc. and see what it says in the job ad as to whom is encouraged to apply.

As others have said, looting, burning buildings and beating people are not helping/solving anyone/anything. These are just common outlaws/thugs breaking the law, they have no concern for George Floyd, they are just using his name as an excuse to be the POS's they really are. In fact, these actions are taking attention away from the true issue and what happened to him and focusing on the rioting and destruction.

I thought his brother said it best yesterday, he was asking for the violence to stop and that this is not what George would have wanted. I agree with him that peaceful gatherings/protests will bring more attention to the actual problem rather than distracting from it with the rioting and destruction.

Fortunately, most of us on this site don't care if your white, black, red, yellow, or even green, we respect each other and care for each other.

To all of you, stay safe my friends!

5. WVBeagleMan

WVBeagleMan Well-Known Member

WV
    Do not think for a second that a person in handcuffs cannot kill you. Handcuffs don't stop people from kicking, biting, headbutting or shooting a gun. I lost 2 brothers in green a few years ago to a guy that was handcuffed and in the back seat of a cruiser, he had a gun hidden on his person they did not find and he pulled it and shot and killed both of them. This in no way means I agree with what happened to George Floyd, but handcuffs do not eliminate the threat, they only help give a little control.

6. Jared Levi

Jared Levi Well-Known Member

Sorry for wat happened to you. That’s Terrible. Floyd was unarmed. Hands behind his back in cuffs . Once ur on the ground cuffed your gonna have to headbutt kick and bite asphalt because that’s all ur gonna reach. Get up and run you won’t get real far before you trip n bust a lip.

One of my best friends is a police chief but that’s irrelevant.

7. km

km Well-Known Member

Iowa
    AMEN on all points swampman.

8. Jabshier1

Jabshier1 Well-Known Member

The police were called cause first time 2 people entered the store tried to pass off a fake $20 they were declined but they didn’t call police , later George Floyd went in store with same fake $20 he passed it off when he left the store cashier called in police that how/why George Floyd Was being arrested ....there another video ( outside store video camera) the first 2 officers (they are new on police force rookies) showed up first while George Floyd was sitting in his car on side of street , the one officer drew his gun told Floyd to get out of car. Floyd wasn’t complying the officer holstered his gun and then kinda yanked Floyd out of the car put cuffs on him ... then it shows them walking him down to their police squad car the video is kinda blurry at that distance but according to reports George Floyd would not get in back of police car he claimed he was claustrophobic he was falling while they were trying get him in back of car ... Then the other 2 officers rolled in veterans on force for awhile Somehow they were struggling to get George Floyd in back of car the door opened up he fell out of other side of car then 3 officers pinned him down to ground .... We haven’t seen Body cams yet , but one rookie cop did mention According to reports “should we turn him on his side“ ? Officer with knee to George’s neck said “no keep him still he fine he still talking” it’s a huge mess , I’m sure thoes guys didn’t start their shift off that day with planning on accidentally killing someone , autopsy reports said George Floyd had drugs in his system also had health problems as well that they were unaware of at that time

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  9. Jabshier1

Jabshier1 Well-Known Member

came across an article today , This how bad these some of these riots are getting ! Setting a house on fire with child inside then Protesters blocking off fire engines Preventing firefighters from rescuing folks and child from a burning home... this isn’t protesting For a “cause” in my opinion this is pure evil malice ! Stuff like this make me mad when derange protester just block off traffic when someone’s else life is on line .

https://www.policeone.com/george-fl...gHybkX_rnu1QbgTVZA1s69iWW30N8eb8ehLWQzXAjsvk0

10. WVBeagleMan

WVBeagleMan Well-Known Member

WV
    My reply was to your statement "If I have a person handcuffed I don’t need to choke them. I’m a man tho." Handcuffs don't take the fight out of people, even small people, man or woman. If you have never had to try to control someone out of control you have no idea what you may have to do to keep them from hurting you, other bystanders or themselves. Sometimes you have to use force to gain control, even on a handcuffed person, no matter how much of a man you are.

11. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    The man had a knee his neck for over 8 minutes, and the other cops were laying on his back. No way for him to inhale and exhale in this situation. If it was a family member of yours that this happened to, you would be up in arms. You don't know unless you were in his shoes. I work part-time on a Adult Psychiatric Unit and are trained in Non- Violent Crisis Physical Intervention. I have taught the class as well. We are trained never to do anything that puts the person in jeopardy especially in the airway. I have seen and heard of lawsuits that have occurred from the wrong technique. You do not want to go to court and be charged, it has happened just like in this case. I agree the Police need to be retrained and utilize some self restraint. We will see what comes out in the wash.

MackC, TJRANGER, Circle4p and 2 others like this.
  12. cltyus1

cltyus1 Well-Known Member

Missouri
    Even though we were all “created” equal....
    Life isn’t quite that way.
    If you guys wanna hear different experiences coming from a young black man from Ferguson and still here....and interactions with police profiling and harassing us....then I can totally give you an understanding of why it is the way it is right now.

Am I condoning burning down small businesses and destroying the community?? No

But I also understand the anger and rage that some people have.....and then there are others that are just taking advantage of the mayhem....but not looking for a change.
    I hate seeing the small businesses and innocent people getting hurt though. That pisses me off.

I know some great cops through my field of work....and they know all the racist bad cops....but they just turn an eye to it.....and it gets swept under the rug for so long and then these incidents occur....and all the signs had been there....

And these cops need to be punished just like one of us would. IMG_3540.jpg

13. cltyus1

Missouri
    Our city looked like a layer of hell last night sadly

14. cltyus1

Missouri
    I don’t even think they need to be retrained. I think they need to be punished to the fullest extent of the law.
    The thing is they’ve gotten away with stuff for yeeeears.
    There’s a lot of politics and dirt in law enforcement. I am friends with a lot of GOOD cops and the stuff they tell me that they experience will have you livid. And every department has em.

15. Md deadeye

Md deadeye Well-Known Member

Maryland
    This is crazy I hope none of this craziness comes to my area and I pray for everyone else that’s having to deal with this foolishness

16. bear128

bear128 Well-Known Member

maryland
    I THINK WHAT GETS LOST IN A LOT OF THESE SITUATIONS IS THE FACT THAT THE PEOPLE THAT ARE BEING RUFFED HOUSED ARE NOT FOLLOWING THE OFFICERS ORDERS . I'VE SEEN BLACK WHITE BROWN PEOPLE GET SLAMMED TO THE GROUND RUFFED UP BY POLICE BUT THE COMMON FACTOR WAS THEY DIDN'T FOLLOW THE OFFICERS ORDERS . I'M NOT SAYING THE OFFICER IS RIGHT I THINK HIM BEING CHARGED IS THE CORRECT THING IN THIS CASE . BUT IF THE OFFICERS ORDERS ARE FOLLOWED I DON'T THINK WE ARE HAVING THESE CITUATIONS OR THESE CONVERSATIONS . I'VE BEEN LOCKED UP FOR BEING DUMB ITS NOT FUN BUT I SHOWED THE POLICE RESPECT AND THEY RETURNED THE FAVOR . I HAVE GOT OUT OF COUNTLESS TICKETS JUST FROM BEING POLITE AND USING MANORS NOT BECAUSE I'M WHITE . I'VE SEEN SOME BUDDIES GET RUFFED UP PRETTY GOOD BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT LISTENING AND BEING DICKS

Circle4p likes this.
  17. Materjuice

Materjuice Well-Known Member

Soso, MS
    Foolishness is right! I agree!

Mater

18. bear128

bear128 Well-Known Member

maryland
    yeah so far its been peaceful got more protest here tonight and Friday hopefully they stay peaceful

19. MackC

MackC Moderator

I agree the standards need to higher and the pay needs to reflect those standards. I don't even know what they make but I'm for paying them more and holding them to high standards. And if they work the big city's like NY, Chicago, LA, etc.. where gangs are prevalent and crime rates are high they should make extra hazard pay. If we are going to require perfection on their part we need to reward them for it. I'm from a small town and I have been a victim of the good ole boy system. And it is soo maddening... but I didn't start a riot, I kept going higher until I got justice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.