Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is a line considered yours?

If I buy two dogs straight from ____________ Kennels and breed them together are they still ___________ or are they my line once I make the first cross or breeding?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
They are your line because the original breeder of the parents might not have made the cross you made. But alot of peolpe will still use the original breeders kennel name if it is a well known name to let people know what they really have, or just to capitalize on someone else breeding program.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
FB,
They become your line the first time they smoke your buddies dogs. Until then they came from the male I bought from so and so and that dang female I got from so and so.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sit around and try to think up things to get people to post and give opinions and this was the best I could do at the time. :wink:

I understand what yall are both saying but that would mean there are literally thousands of lines of dogs right?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
FB,
I believe there are thousands right now. How about this test. Are people intrested in a dog because it is comming out of your kennel or are they intrested in a dog because of who, or where the parents came from.

I have a female cotton country expecting pups right now. The male is FC Buck. Buck ( Robs diamond, Blackjack ) ) on top
People are not going to buy the pups because they came from our kennel they have probably never herd of us. They will but the pups because of who the parents or grandparents are .

·
Registered
520 Posts
Rosco I agree with you many people are looking at breeding line , but I have guys that want to buy some of my dogs just because they are out my old Joe dog . They do the same thing on my Pea ridge Yeller dog. They could care less that one of them is the grand-son of Jim dandy. All they know is they run rabbits.I know most trialers hang on bloodlines, But your average hunter wants something that will hunt,jump,handle ,and bring the rabbit back to the gun. That's all:D:D. Come to think of it that's what I want..

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Ken,
Thats what I ment. If they are wanting pups just because it came out of your dog then maybe you have started a line with the your dog and your good female.
Maybe " Mississippi Yeller.

·
Registered
520 Posts
That's funny Rosco. I never thought about having my own line. I just always borrow from someone else's successful crosses. I have so many different lines I tend to get them tangled up like the lines in my trot lines for catfishing. Boy it is a mess sometimes. Gay,Mayo,J.D. and all the rest of the junk lines :D. I am partial to L&W or R&W,but I really would like a purple color, now that would be different.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I think that would be fair.

I like dogs with Otis in em someplace but I dont consider em to be my line. Out of my dogs but not my line of dogs since I didnt own Otis. Im kinda like Ken. Im just trying to build off something that someone else did.

·
Registered
520 Posts
That sounds good to me and I have always really liked Yellow Creek. They seem to make good ole country rabbit dogs. By the way BRamsey, noting the part of the country you are from are you any relation to Ron Ramsey that is running for Gov. up there in TN.? He likes to talk about giving people the boot, that is country talk. Guess I could have put this under a new thread and ask about Ramsey politics. Hey don't take this the wrong way . I have taken a liking to you. We hill folks have to stick together.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
Ken, I don't think i'm related to Ron Ramsey. But the mayor of Hamilton County (Cluade Ramsey) is my cousin. I don't know Ron and I haven't seen Claude in person for over 30 years. But i'm sure they're crooks just like the rest of the politicians. Hey Claude, i'm sure they don't allow beagles on the golf course you live on but if you ever run across this post send me some of that money and i'll see if I can get it deleted. Hey Ken, where you located?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I live just off Hwy 72 in Ms. I live near Walnut, that's about between the TN./MS. state line and Corinth, Ms.. I am about 2 miles south of the southern line of Tn. and Northern line of Ms. I am 60 miles east of Memphis

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
When you get down to it, we all are! Everybody's line came from somebodies.
Mr.Mike bred the patches for 30 years, he still called them patch but they were different than the hare hound due to his selection for different type over time.
When he got them from Willet, he didn't like their style but due to the field trial fad his previous hounds had become worthless for hunting (He called them two hour wonders). He needed hounds to start over that had the grit and ability to hunt day after day(easier to pull a rope down than push it up).
When he was able to get what he wanted through selection of the puppies he kept, he just bred them together until he was able to reproduce what he wanted in their offspring, that's when he had his own line.
A line has the "stamp" or ability to reproduce type in a majority of the offspring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts