Rabbit Dogs banner

When in the woods, what caliber is needed to stay safe?

8K views 71 replies 34 participants last post by  duke1 
#1 ·
In my different hunting woods, there are are lots of hogs, occasional wolves and at least one cougar spotted in the last year . And just like everywhere, coyotes.
I decided to ask this question because a friend of mine was attacked by a hog near Palestine TX.
He had a 30-30 rifle with him. One shot to the head saved him.
I don’t hunt deer anymore so all I carry is a rifle that shoots 22LR.
So what do you carry even if you are not hunting In case of running into a dangerous animal?
Is 22LR enough fire power? Well, all these animals have ran away so I haven’t had anything come after me. My friend says I’ve just been lucky and that a sow with babies will attack furiously.
Would like to understand what everyone else carries for the safety of themselves and their hounds.
I am thinking common sense would tell us that 22LR might not have enough knock down power.
Thoughts and opinions?

#9 ·
I think this would depend on location...If lived out west and bears and wolves it would be different than around here in Ky...I think the worst possible thing here would be a rattler, cottonmouth or copperhead...Did I say that is all we have...As far as i am concerned all snakes are deadly...Of course most of the time you dont need a weapon, just leave alone but I dont know anyone who does this..But like most of previous post I am always carrying something..

#22 ·
I don't carry anything to the woods. The woods is the safest place on the whole planet to be. No people.

I know what an animals gonna do. Only humans do things animals will not do.

Now

When Mrs. Red and I take an evening excursion into the city...…. (New Orleans)…….for social events, to visit friends or to have a little R and R we always armor up to the hilt with an lovely assortment of sleek, very low profile, personally tailored gear that fits our attire and life style that doesn't stand out......just incase the evening gets a little..... animated. You can never have too much fun!

#63 · (Edited)
I don't carry anything to the woods. The woods is the safest place on the whole planet to be. No people.

I know what an animals gonna do. Only humans do things animals will not do

No offense Mitch, but if you've ever seen what wolves do to hounds, much less what a pack can do to a human, not to mention Bear and now MT. Lions, you'd have to have a pretty dim lightbulb not to carry!

I never go into the timber without my Ruger .44 mag. on my hip.

#24 ·
Only time I carry a gun to the woods is if I’m hunting , if I’m just running dogs or just roaming around scouting or if I just want to leave this world behind and go catch my breath and look at Gods beauty I don’t carry anything but like Mitch said when I have to hit the town or out of town for work well thats a different story , I’m your huckleberry !

#26 · (Edited)
I have always carried since a friend and I were Pheasant hunting in Mt Pleasant , Michigan, we had permission to hunt the parcel of land we were on. A guy came out and told us we were on his property and he wanted Barry and I to give him our guns. The guy had a 45 pistol he was carrying, we both had our shotguns. We told him we had permission which we did, he still was yelling at us to give him our guns, we said if you want our guns we are not going to give them to you. I stated you will have to call the State Police or Sheriff. Barry and I were both on the Central Michigan University campus Karate Club, Barry was a Black belt and I was a Red belt, just below a Black Belt. As emotions subsided we were able to talk about what is occurring. The guy stated he was fed up with people coming on his land hunting. He showed us his property lines which we did not go on. We ended up shaking hands and we went on our way as did he.
That is one of the closest times I have ever thought I would get shot. I would go and ask him if he wanted to hunt and we went a few times and gave him a couple roosters because he had other things he had to do.
we had built a good friendship after the major/first contact we had.
I have carried ever since and will NEVER give my gun to any land owner. JMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.