Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my different hunting woods, there are are lots of hogs, occasional wolves and at least one cougar spotted in the last year . And just like everywhere, coyotes.
I decided to ask this question because a friend of mine was attacked by a hog near Palestine TX.
He had a 30-30 rifle with him. One shot to the head saved him.
I don’t hunt deer anymore so all I carry is a rifle that shoots 22LR.
So what do you carry even if you are not hunting In case of running into a dangerous animal?
Is 22LR enough fire power? Well, all these animals have ran away so I haven’t had anything come after me. My friend says I’ve just been lucky and that a sow with babies will attack furiously.
Would like to understand what everyone else carries for the safety of themselves and their hounds.
I am thinking common sense would tell us that 22LR might not have enough knock down power.
Thoughts and opinions?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I think this would depend on location...If lived out west and bears and wolves it would be different than around here in Ky...I think the worst possible thing here would be a rattler, cottonmouth or copperhead...Did I say that is all we have...As far as i am concerned all snakes are deadly...Of course most of the time you dont need a weapon, just leave alone but I dont know anyone who does this..But like most of previous post I am always carrying something..

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
In my different hunting woods, there are are lots of hogs, occasional wolves and at least one cougar spotted in the last year . And just like everywhere, coyotes.
I decided to ask this question because a friend of mine was attacked by a hog near Palestine TX.
He had a 30-30 rifle with him. One shot to the head saved him.
I don’t hunt deer anymore so all I carry is a rifle that shoots 22LR.
So what do you carry even if you are not hunting In case of running into a dangerous animal?
Is 22LR enough fire power? Well, all these animals have ran away so I haven’t had anything come after me. My friend says I’ve just been lucky and that a sow with babies will attack furiously.
Would like to understand what everyone else carries for the safety of themselves and their hounds.
I am thinking common sense would tell us that 22LR might not have enough knock down power.
Thoughts and opinions?
Need to carry a pistol on your side, 44 or 45 magnum if worried about hogs. Puts the smack on them. I always carry a pistol just in case, coyotes, or what ever may come my way. Just like Boy Scout motto- Be prepared.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts