Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,514 Posts
I use a Sportdog 2500 1 1/2 mile range up to 6 collars. Had it 3 years now with no problems. Would like to sell it and get the new Sportdog system out, but not pushing real hard cause this one is working fine. My partners use TT Trash Breakers and they seem to be very good systems as well.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Collar system

I have only owned one kind and as far as I am concerned it is the only brand out there. I own two systems by Tritronics and both are great. If all you need is a 3 dog system you can purchase the G2 Sport Basic. It is a good system that the transmitter is compact and can easily fit in your shirt or pants pocket or hang on your neck. Range is 1/2 mile and is ample on flat ground, easy one hand operation. Oh, and this system also has a tone feature, more like a buzz but serves the same purpose.

I also have the G2 EXP 70, expands to 6 collars. Great if you need to work more dogs. Has a greater range but the transmitter is much larger and it is not one hand operation if you need a different power selection. Goes out and gets them though. With my aging mine I have a problem remembering 6 colors and which go with which dog. Not the units fault though. No problem with either set and the collars can be used on either transmitter and you can marry the collars to the transmitter in the field easily within seconds.

Hope this helps your . Sure some of the others are good also but have no experience with them.

John

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
I have a sport dog 3 collar system with 3/4 mile range. I wouldn't have another one. I don't know how far it will work in the open but if there are hills or trees in the way it won't pick up even 300 yards. If I were to buy another one it would be tri-tronics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
how about the sport dog 3200
I have had mine for a couple years and am very happy with it i have also used tritronics they were good units but they didnt have the lifetime warranty so between that and the added cost i bought a sportdog and dont regret it

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
i had the sport dog 3200 4 dog system and had good luck with it the only thing i didn't like was where you have to plug the charger in was always getting filled up with dirt and mud. I now have a G3 tri tronics exp 6 dog system and i'm happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
3,514 Posts
Tri-tronics for me also........this is one of those topics that can get heated quick some times.:whistle:
It should'nt get heated, who cares what someone else uses, use what you like. I have seen or heard bad reports on all the brands. All we can hope for is whatever we buy does not have any defects. I am surprised no one has used the standard Made in USA comment yet, while they type on a Jap PC.:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shocker

looks like a three dog tri tronics is double the price then a sportdog 3200 not sure i WANT TO SPEND that much more if the 3200 is sufficient for rabbit hunting is the 9 volt battery in the transmitter strong enought to go all day or all weekend without replacing

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
dont know.... according to gundogsupply the 9 voltin the g3 sport basic that John Taylor was talking about will last 6 months used evey day or 1 year used occassionally. but keep in mind the range difference.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I haven't bought a new system for 5 years so the features on some systems might have changed some but I wouldn't have one that doesn't offer the tone feature for each collar.:down:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have used Tritronics for 30 + years, like wise I have used Innotech for a long time, they each do a great job. My friend uses a Dogtra 4 collar system and has for several years and he says for service and price he would not use anything else. Just like your dogs, what ever fits you needs and price range go for it. I will say I have had more trouble out the newer expandable TT's, than I ever saw in the older models.The problem with the Innotech You can only use 2 or 3 collars with them compared to 6 with T.T. and 4 with Dogtra. But the Innotechs have been programable for years..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts