Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Female beagle that will come back or turn down deer even if pack is running,upper medium speed,good hunt,descent line control and works a check correctly.I suppose you have to own one to know what you value it at.Or something close to that and 13 in.

·
Super Moderator
5,999 Posts
LT as Jimmy said Probably not for sale out there but to give you an idea had a buddy going out of beagles and he sold a 7yr old ( like you explained) for 800. I actually thot that was cheap. I turned down 1500 for my old Indian Hills gyp ( that I lost first of year)several years ago. She was that kind of dog and not for sale. Those are few and far between!! I never ran a collar on her.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Like Mitch said in another thread,... People don't sell that kind of dog,... ON PURPOSE!!!

My gyp that is currently in Kansas is "Deer Proof" I'd hang a $1000 price tag on her head,... and if someone don't wanna pay that..... the papers can/will just remain in my name!

Mater

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
With the technology available today and with some time and effort anyone should be able to have dogs that dont run deer.Ive heard people on here say theyve had a dog that a shock collar wont stop but ive not seen one myself.Beagle or curr.I have a collar on every dog i turn loose.Each dog is tone broke.I would never guarantee one of mine to not run a deer but if he does and my collars working properly im pretty sure i can stop him and call him back.I take it for granted that the dogs ive kept so long have never been bad about running deer but they get the message pretty quick if they do.I have some dogs here that have never ran a deer so i cant say they are broke off deer but im ready for em if they do.And i guarantee you they know what a deer smells likes.Alot of deer in my area.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
With the technology available today and with some time and effort anyone should be able to have dogs that dont run deer.Ive heard people on here say theyve had a dog that a shock collar wont stop but ive not seen one myself.Beagle or curr.I have a collar on every dog i turn loose.Each dog is tone broke.I would never guarantee one of mine to not run a deer but if he does and my collars working properly im pretty sure i can stop him and call him back.I take it for granted that the dogs ive kept so long have never been bad about running deer but they get the message pretty quick if they do.I have some dogs here that have never ran a deer so i cant say they are broke off deer but im ready for em if they do.And i guarantee you they know what a deer smells likes.Alot of deer in my area.
So many deer in your area! Same here Ronnie! It affords to opportunity "to properly" break them! My dogs ALL had to be "taught" to leave deer alone!
I easily understand people in low deer density areas,.. having a MUCH harder time breaking dogs than us!
Mine simply see so many of em,... they basically view them as cows! Can't run them either! I am fortunate to have a feeder behind my house. At early ages, my young dogs are turned loose solo,... when I see deer, possum, ***** and rabbits standing down there,... AT THE SAME TIME!!!
They MUST choose correctly! Sometimes they do,... sometimes they don't!
When they don't,... THEY PAY A HEAVY PRICE!!!

Mater

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
They are hard to come by. I think I have two but you never know till you turn them lose with no collar on and the shi.... Hits the fan. Finding one is hard sometimes. Sometimes it's just dumb luck. I have been with my neighbor two times to buy a dog. He thought he had one bought but no luck. When money is not an issue. It is still hard to get done.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I firmly believe that deer running is a handling issue not a genetic flaw.That genetically deer proof mess is just that A load of crap.Deer breaking takes time patience and boot leather.And most guys simply don’t put that in em.They chuck em in the pen let em start running and Poof Its a rabbit dog.Not Hardly.You Dont have to be a genius to deer break them but you do have to be consistent and down right harsh with some of em.All of my grown dogs are deer proof.Puppies that start and stay here will be shortly or they will have hair curly as a poodle.LOL

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I agree with Jeffro. Handling is a big part of deer runs. A dog won't hunt close,Don't know their names and are just running wild. A deer run is about to start. I can almost watch a dog for 10 minutes and tell you if deer are a problem. To answer your question LT. There is one one the board for $650 Hunt is extreme and no deer problem. Opens on a rat some under a 20 foot deep doze r pile but she will be under it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
It wont cost you one red cent besides what you’ve already paid for them collars take the ones you have and make them what you want them to be.
Be very consistent and put the fire to them , no bumping no half throttle go all in every time and it will be corrected shortly .
I had one yesterday that decided she would like to run her a ground hog the only thing that I’d rather had than that collar would’ve been for him to decide he was done running lol

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
LT I gave away a male this spring that was a total tattletale when it came to deer, if another dog jumped a deer he would be standing at my feet in seconds, now he wasn't always like that he rode the lightning until he almost bit his tongue of a couple times (no I don't feel bad about it either). Last week the guy I gave him to sends me a text saying his pups ran the snot out of a deer and this male went with them, now he don't run them as hard as I do and this dog probably figures he can get away with it on his new owner. I sent him a text back and said turn the Garmin to max power and let her ride then mash the button until it stops a second time, he thought that was too much, I don't. I got a pup right now that has a soft spot for big old bucks in the rut, he also has a few burn marks on his neck, he will figure it just like the rest do. If you are looking to sell your gip she is worth whatever you are asking for her, it's rabbit season and good dogs are hard to come by this time of year. JMHO:)

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Seriously LT I have been in your position before my problem was a lot of areas I hunt it's hard to tell what they are running till after they run it for too long Imo, I fixed it myself by getting rid of every one of those dogs except for one and started over, I had too many maybes in the pack if you know what I mean nowadays I use my training collar to make sure they don't hunt out too far I like a dog who hunts out but not too far so I can watch what they're doing if they're trailing underneath of Breyers I know it's not a deer but, it's something that I'm sure you know you have to stay on top of when you got those maybes in the pack, in my area we have a lot of deer I watch them dogs especially hard first thing out of the box in the morning if they want to open up in open areas I'll holler at them and tell them it better be right in a growly voice and I actually think they understand as the fact is they have had their hind Parts burnt up before for a deer and I I'm sure they have not forgotten can be a tough frustrating situation though

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
LT I gave away a male this spring that was a total tattletale when it came to deer, if another dog jumped a deer he would be standing at my feet in seconds, now he wasn't always like that he rode the lightning until he almost bit his tongue of a couple times (no I don't feel bad about it either). Last week the guy I gave him to sends me a text saying his pups ran the snot out of a deer and this male went with them, now he don't run them as hard as I do and this dog probably figures he can get away with it on his new owner. I sent him a text back and said turn the Garmin to max power and let her ride then mash the button until it stops a second time, he thought that was too much, I don't. I got a pup right now that has a soft spot for big old bucks in the rut, he also has a few burn marks on his neck, he will figure it just like the rest do. If you are looking to sell your gip she is worth whatever you are asking for her, it's rabbit season and good dogs are hard to come by this time of year. JMHO:)
Semn I own a tattletale female now and she was the hardest dog I’ve ever owned to break from running deer but when she decided she was done she was done and I’m pretty sure she has bite mark scars on her tongue too

1 - 20 of 133 Posts