Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear yalls thoughts on what a good houndsman may be....

Are true houndsmen a thing of the past??

To me I believe a true houndsman knows a hound like the back of there hand from their health to knowing what each different bark on track means ... a true woodsman ....has stomped through countless miles of bottoms and briar thickets...
Watched and have listened to hundreds of races..
His hounds are family...
He wants the best for them from food to housing to the best tracking devices for them...
He truly has a passion for his dogs and what they were trained to do..he constantly thinks about his hounds and putting more tracks in front of them... he has put countless hours keeping up with pups to make sure they stay on track of the intended game ...finds pride and satisfaction in taking a pup and turning it into a broke ,seasoned hunting machine

He finds a strange pride in the briar layden tore up ears tails and bellys of his hounds ... his tattered briar proof gear
It's the odometer of all the hard work they have put in...

I could go on and on

Yall get the idea...

·
Banned
6,404 Posts
Marshal s in my time on this earth I have known some old boys that was true houndsmen. They talked to there hounds ,seldom petted them but always fed and cared for them (mostly home remedies) but always had a line on what they would spend. These folks would say these are hounds not people act accordingly. I am not saying who is right or wrong but I NEVER seen one of there hounds mistreated intentionally but they did not spare the rod. And all of those houndsmen ran the snot out of there hounds. Their hounds was not picky ,they just wanted food and LIVED to run ! Heck they would sleep under a old car hood and be as happy as a clam.

·
Super Moderator
3,690 Posts
IMO a true houndsman "Knows a hound" can watch a hound and in short order know if its worth feeding. He is not emotionally attached to his hounds. He gives them the best care but only wants the "best" wont feed any hound not worthy. never sits on the tailgate, always watching and evaluating.
not afraid to "cull" take out of the gene pool. As stated above, doesn't keep pets, they are tools and hounds not people. Will get rid of one at the drop of a dime for something better.
I could go on, but you get where I am going.

·
Super Moderator
7,100 Posts
Marshall I believe it takes years to develop into a true houndsman. Not only from learning over the years of what works and doesn’t work but learning from others. I have learned from my Grandpa, Uncles, Dad and several other Oldtimers what a true houndsman is and still learning today! As has been stated, care of your hounds, learning each hounds voice differences, handling techniques, bloodline studies, breeding and culling are just a small portion of what’s in the makeup of a True Houndsman.

·
Super Moderator
3,690 Posts
Marshall I believe it takes years to develop into a true houndsman. Not only from learning over the years of what works and doesn’t work but learning from others. I have learned from my Grandpa, Uncles, Dad and several other Oldtimers what a true houndsman is and still learning today! As has been stated, care of your hounds, learning each hounds voice differences, handling techniques, bloodline studies, breeding all are just a small portion of what’s in the makeup of a True Houndsman.
Exactly right! Listening to the old guys, shut up and listen every time out. The internet and these pages are great but they hurt us in a way. We get on here to learn "now!" Instead of learning by years of following the hounds and hanging with the oldtimers.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
For me being a houndsman is something more than just owning hounds or hunting over hounds. Its about Dedication, Boot leather, and a lot of miles watching/following dogs. How you care for your dogs is a important part with all of today's information but if you're not watching and evaluating you're learning nothing. I don't care who crossed the path first I don't care what Garmin screens show, you have to watch dogs. No kennel blindness and being willing to better yourself kennel if need be. I think real true houndsman are fading. Its just a different generation now days. Hunting and hunting practices in general are changing JMO. It will be interesting to see where beagleing is in 10-20 years.

EDIT
Amen to everything TJ and Spini has said.

·
Registered
155 Posts
putting trophies in a distant second to breeding an overall hound. He may enjoy trials, He may like to win. But he will keep a hound that won't trial if it improves his pack. Most good houndsmen you can tell immediately when you run with him. And here's how. watch a winners pack at any trial, then watch his pack. His pack will probably run a better rabbit than the winners pack.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I am going to use the journal paper that FDA kennel young man wrote about what is a Hounds-man.If you have not read his paper you need to, it hits the bulls eye on what everyone on this site has done during their life time. With the paper he wrote it’s a continuance of the tradition of being a HOUNDS-MAN. His paper explains it all.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Most good houndsmen you can tell immediately when you run with him. And here's how. watch a winners pack at any trial, then watch his pack. His pack will probably run a better rabbit than the winners pack.
Power said a lot in those last two sentences.

Does not necessarily have to be beagles, but a good pack of hounds who are used to running together, hark quickly to each other, probably are bred similarly, level in ability, and LOOK like a pack and not just a collection of hounds, is a rare thing of beauty to a true houndsman.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've been running beagles for 53 years out of my 68 on this earth. Still learning every day. Will never be the dog man (hounds man) My ancestors were. Hunting (running dogs) was a necessity for them. For me it's pure fun and relaxation. I know my dogs and what they, do both good and bad, but I might not be able to put that knowledge to work on someone else's dogs. And maybe wouldn't want to. Hope this rambling makes sense.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I believe a true hounds man will help others by explaining what is the good or bad of it and be able to show how it is done right. He or she will look at each hound to make sure it is in good physical shape and know when it is not. To know when to stop putting to much pressure on the pup, dog, and to take care of it as a family member.
I do get attached some what emotionally, but if the price is right, the dog is going to a good home, it will and can be sold.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Always wanting what is just beyond your reach...
Feeling the pain of a lost track, and the disdain at one who quits.
An itch between your shoulders and figuring the best way to get at it through all the layers you've laid on.
Reasoning and understanding that failure and accomplishments are a reflection of your efforts and responsibility.
A hunger and thirst never quenched in methodology, for it is an "art" of the successful. 🐰::::::🐕

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I agree with you on the most part croop , but I know some people live in areas that have rattlers and they don’t run them when it is warm and I wouldn’t either if they were bad in my area . I have had a few bit by copperheads , but mine have all gotten over a bite from them pretty quick so I don’t worry to much about them . The only time I don’t run mine is when it is extremely hot and humid ,

·
Super Moderator
3,690 Posts
I agree with most that has been said, BUT One thing for sure a true houndsmen IMO does not leave his hounds in the pen all summer then pull them out hunting season. A hounds man spend time with his hounds.
That depends on where you live. A true houndsman would not run his hounds in 100 degree heat index in tall thick grass and weeds just to pad his ego and say he runs year round. The safety of the hounds must come first.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree with you on the most part croop , but I know some people live in areas that have rattlers and they don’t run them when it is warm and I wouldn’t either if they were bad in my area . I have had a few bit by copperheads , but mine have all gotten over a bite from them pretty quick so I don’t worry to much about them . The only time I don’t run mine is when it is extremely hot and humid ,
Totally understandable.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Fellers I’ve had a hound of some kind since I was 6 I’m 52 now. I don’t run mine in the summer because of the humidity and rattlers in this part of north Alabama. But as soon as the rattlers start slowing down I run regular. I’m not by any means an expert on dogs but I think a lot of what I got. My old dogs I raised myself. The ones coming on I’ve either bought or traded up and got 1 female for breeding one of my males. You’ve got to really enjoy it, love to hear a race. It don’t mater what kind of race as long as hits running I love to hear it.. used to racoon hunt and enjoyed it when I was younger. Also would run fox and coyotes with my deer dogs when I was younger. Like I said don’t mater what is running what I love to hear a race. To me a houndsman would be..... don’t mater what your doing if you hear a hound running and you stop what your doing just to listen.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts