What is medium speed

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by Robert L. Dunn, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Robert L. Dunn

Robert L. Dunn Active Member

I see a lot of post where individuals talk about speed for a hound. Some have said that their dog is medium speed, 6 to 6.5. If we use a scale of 1 through 10 to judge speed, wouldnt 5 be medium. Anything else, it seems to me, would be above or below. Six would be medium plus and 10 would be wide open. Traditional brace would be a one or just standing still barking.

Dont want to make a big deal out of this but I believe it would make for more consistency if everyone used the samne scale.

rangerdon and Hillsdale like this.
  2. wad

wad Well-Known Member

Il.
    I gave a fast over competative dog to a old timer that kept coon hounds and some beagles. I told him it was too fast for me. when I checked back with him he was tickeled and laughed when we talked about that dogs speed. He said the dog couldnt stay up with his dogs and that it was a field trial dog.I would of rated that dog a 8 and a 9 if ran with a 8 LOL

3. km

km Active Member

Iowa
    Not everyones scale is the same. What is a 5 to me would be a 2 to my buddies that trial ukc. They say their dogs are 7-8 because they have witnessed faster dogs than theirs. But i would call them 9-10 because i haven't seen faster. I bought the above mentioned 5speed dog from a ubgf trialer and he says hes a 7. It just all depends on what dogs each individual has seen run.

bear128 likes this.
  4. bear128

bear128 Well-Known Member

I agree most guys that run the slower style dogs have never seen dogs that can get up in role . Thats why I like to know blood lines when I'm looking for dogs most of the time you can judge speed by how they are bred . You will have the odd ball every now and then but not to often

Wilbur likes this.
  5. Wilbur

Wilbur Active Member

Mr. Dunn I'm with you 5 is medium,if someone else says there dog is a medium speed 6.5 then we're not talking the same language or there not sure what medium speed is.......Wilbur

6. Bowguy 1

Bowguy 1 Active Member

I’ve never even heard of anyone going above 10. Half of that (medium) is 5. I can’t see that any other way.
    Now couple things I’ll say, I agree w medium is medium to what you’ve seen.
    I’ll disagree w most guys have never seen em role.
    More guys have started out w fast dogs and got tired of the type running they do and saw dogs they’d rather run, they’ve geared down more than vice versa.
    These guys know speeds imo.

7. will messer

will messer Site Sponsor Staff Member

speed is measured 1 thru 10 with 5 being the medium. THAT will change with location. A 5 in fla or la is different speed than a 5 in ky or the Carolinas. consideration must be give for the terrain the dog runs in.
    I gave up on gauging speed. I preffer a dog run medium but gear up and catch it or gear down and grub. depending on scent conditions

Curnel likes this.
  8. bear128

opinions are like assholes everybody has one and knows one

jroubre and rienmark like this.
  9. rienmark

rienmark Active Member

My dogs are all medium speeds they run about a 10 ha ha ha ha

10. egraffic

egraffic Member

I think the best way to determine a dog’s speed is to ask the average mile per hour on a gps.

11. bear128

I think terrain and how thick the cover is can effect that so much . I mean is it solo speed a pack of 4 a pack of 10 . Does it run it fast when it has it but has longer break downs that will drop the average speed but put it with a dog thats running the same speed say three mph for example with no breakdowns they won't run good together . Just so many variables

12. mill creek

mill creek Member

iowa
    I think its kinda a general gauge when talking speed. I would say 1 thru 3 would be considered slow while 4 thru 6 would fall into the medium range 7 and up would be fast , as stated above each person might view it a little different but I think most would agree with that

13. Materjuice

Materjuice Active Member

Well.... with more and more beaglers going to the Alpha systems, perhaps we can more closely compare dogs speeds and become somewhat more consistent in determining and assigning what that speed is as it relates to a given number!

This board would be a fine place to start this discussion/ research!

Some of you already using the Alpha can start it by posting your dogs avg MPH, and hang a number on what you believe it to be! Just be open minded about the possibility of adjusting the speed/number as more information comes forward!

Just a thought!

Materjuice

mill creek likes this.
  14. wad

wad Well-Known Member

Il.
    Add what you rate the running conditions that day . base it on dogs you know well. I guess if you ran the same dogs, you could judge conditions by there speed. The rab would be a factor I guess, but I would be interested hearing running conditions for the day

mill creek likes this.
  15. Pa Beaglerhh

Pa Beaglerhh Member

Can the dogs speed be determined by the distance the rabbit is ahead of the dogs? Don't know what you guys call it but most of my dogs run according to scenting conditions. Pound them when they can and walk the line over frozen snow and ice. My last Reaper female dog ran a medium(5) to me and usually the rabbit was about 60 yards ahead of her. My faster dogs where 30-40 yards behind. Different opinions on speed has always been an issue between beaglers. Fast,medium,slow all done right works. The older I get the more I like medium speed dogs but a couple notches up with line control is a lot of fun. Upper medium speed is 6.5-7 to me. I think we all have to see a dog run and them rate it in are own way. Yours and mine might not be the same.

16. Brandon

Brandon Active Member

My dogs average 5.5-6mph on the best running days. 4.75 -5mph is what I most often see. When the snow gets deep or conditions get bad they are around 3.5-4mph todays hunt after 6.5miles of running average speed was only 2.85 the snow was icy and they broke through in spots slowing them even more. I consider my dogs to be upper medium speed. This is all recorded on the Alpha.

17. Materjuice

Materjuice Active Member

Yep,.... you should come up with a “speed range” rather than a single set number!

Plenty of holes will be punched in this system, but it will evolve as certain info, and alternative criteria are produced! At the very least, it will be fun attempting such an undertaking!

My dogs suit me fine,... they ain’t going nowhere! No matter what this system may deem them! Such a system (rudimentary as it may be), could actually produce a blueprint that would assist us, in becoming a tad more consistent in speed evaluations! In turn,... assist us in making breeding selections! Like many of our older members say... The search for the perfect rabbit dog, is a lifelong endeavor, as this dog has yet to be produced!

Shorts Pro, Lil Nip Otis, Buckshot Jones were 3 exceptional hounds,... but they all had faults, of some sort! Bet on it!!!

Materjuice

18. mattdog

mattdog Active Member

WV
    so is that on snowshoe or cotton tail ?

19. km

km Active Member

Iowa
    If thats on cotton tail thats rolling pretty good. I have buddies that run fast dogs and send me pics of their garmin transmitters after a run. Says the avg mph and distance traveled. What iv learned tho after running with them quite a few times, im not sure how much of that distance traveled is actually spent running a rabbit. When they are flying around 80plus yards in every direction in a check, that has to add up the miles pretty quick. That and also those style dogs hunt very deep, when u turn them loose they arent going to be hunting where you can see them, they may strike clear on the other side of a 40acre timber within a couple minutes. They cover a pile of ground wether hunting or in check.

mill creek likes this.
  20. mattdog

mattdog Active Member

WV
    I don't have a gps for my dogs, but what I see with my dogs is some days on some rabbits they cover a lot of ground quickly. Other days with different rabbits , not so much. Head high pines they seem much faster than head high briars. Baby rabbits on a dry July day they can seem downright slow. I would think for a MPH "speed range" this would have to be taken into account. Not to mention is it a cottontail, swamper or hare.