Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to breed a gyp out of gay blood weirdcreek an some more top dogs to a branko male i think they should by a very strong pack of rabbit dogs any suggestions how you think they will be

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
Sorry Tim, I haven't seen very much talk about the branko bloodline on here. I don't know any thing about branko dogs. I have seen alot of talk about them on the american beagler forum.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
sorry my post wasnt accurate. Rio was 09 PBGA Championship 3rd place. he won the 09 NEBGF FC only trial compeeting against 20 FC's.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It will for sure give the branko blood better line control. They should still have plenty of foot. I am guessing that you like your dogs to be more of a fast footed type hound? I saw someone who made a Branko cross similar to what you are doing, but I cant remember where I seen it. If I can remember I will give you his contact so you can ask him. Good luck:thumb:

·
Registered
520 Posts
You ask so here goes,I don't care for branko even if I have owned a few and know several people that are real big on them. All that I have seen have been fast and did not run a good line. Remember I said the ones I have seen. Now for gay and weircreek I really do like. They do what I want. I do not know what you are looking for nor what you want in this cross, that is for you to decide. If that is what you like then it will be great. Good luck in whatever you choose to do and keep us posted how it turns out.Bottom line is what you want..

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what i want

what i am after is a pretty fast dog with good line control and has enough sense to no when they have to slow down on days that are hard to smell on and has a good check to them

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Tim,
How about a good satsuma dog. They have the speed and if you are careful you can get pretty food line contro also. I did not comment on the Branko because of what Daddy always told me. " If you do not have any thing good to say, keep your mouth shut."

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yea rosco I was kinda thinking the same thing. Southern large pack would give ya foot and better line control. I was also thinking hare hound breeding would work well also.

Tim. We had some dogs that had crosses of fc green mt jericho who was off hof Champlain bucky. They had great foot and with the blackcreek and weircreek they had hunt and line control.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i asked what yawl thought good or bad im just want something faster than the old walkie talkie type dog but still has good line control and good fast checks

·
Registered
89 Posts
well i asked what yawl thought good or bad im just want something faster than the old walkie talkie type dog but still has good line control and good fast checks
striker line will give you speed and control. as for branko there is some good and bad out there plenty of foot speed wont always get the brains and line control

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Tim,
Your idea is the same idea most beaglers get from time to time. The problem with speed is it is easy to get in and hard to get out. ( I forgot to mention the windsong line earlier they are fast. you don't hear about them much but when you see them they are usally on the winners stand.) In my opion you can do what you are trying to do. It will take a lot of line breeding. Keeping every pup to evaluate then going from there. If you introduce the speed and go back to your old stuff for 2 or three generations then going to the speed again, repeat the process you can build the dog you want. It will take lots of time and work but it can be done. Unless you just get lucky which is an outside possibility.

I have a satsuma and a windsog female. They are fast. I have an otis dog that is the dog you are trying to build. He can gear up and run with these 2 dogs or gear down and run with my blackcreeks and Buck II dogs. . For meat hunting they are great as long as your have enough folks with you. I love to hear the race. I have trialed the satsuma 2 times and she has been picked up. I believe the windsong could at least make the first cut but she is shy. My son and I are the only people that can catch her. The otis dog has been picked up on lack of points. I believe that is because he was running with the fast dogs to much and not doing enough work. I am giving him solo time and time with pups this summer to make him work. I will cough up entry fee on him a couple of more times. The Satsuma and windsong have each caught a wild rabbit.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh well

i have caught wild rabbits as well i either run the for four hours or i had 1 dog that would catch him in the bed as far as the branko male he is not a run fast crazy dog he has good line control good checks i just want something a little faster and still have super line control and checks the brankos yawl seem to have seen work were the crazy type of branko this one has a little bit of Indian creek in him i went to one and my last field trial he hit the line done a supper check and was way out in front of the other dog i was told to pick him up i asked the judge why he said to much rabbit i told him he must have a friend here he wanted to win so i told him OK this thing is bought off and was run by a bunch of crocks

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
Tim, Are wanting to trial or just gun hunt? The brankos I've seen would not do well at AKC SPO in my area but some have done well at ARHA LP. The records do show that they have done very well on AKC Large pack on hare. As far as just rabbit hunting on cottontails many will jump a lot of rabbits but may not account for a high percentage of them. If you cross into good line control dogs you may get some you like but you will have to raise and start all of them to find out which ones. Of course this could be true of most crosses. We haven't learned to clone hounds yet.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok then i take branko is not the way to go how about otis blood line or should i just go back to the gay bloood line or black creek these dogs will be guned over most of the time

·
Registered
282 Posts
What are the FC in your pups pedigree. Just curious. I thought about the branko cross at one time, but I got scared when I really started looking. I really like most of the SPO dogs I have seen and I found what I was looking for there. Some SPO dogs can run really fast and it is scary how good they do it. The Branko dogs I saw were maybe faster, but couldn't do it as good. I like effeciency. Sometimes we need to remember the turtle and the hare.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts