Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually wait until about 6 months, but I have a female from my last litter that is 4 months and she is really acting ready. Does anybody think thats too young? If so why. I would appreciate other peopls thoughts.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i used to start them at 4 months but now i start them around 6-7 months. i find them more mature. but like you said if shes ready then shes ready. let us know.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
I started taking my last pups out at 3 months old. Usually once sometimes twice a week. But they didn't start running until they were about 6 months old. I'll probably start taking my new ones out at 3 months also. I just let them run around until they start going and staying with the other dogs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I will start taking mine out at 3 months, but I take mine out at night all the time. I don't rush them in anyway just let them do it on their on! BUt I have so many Rabbits in my yard they have very little trouble finding any scent!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Got my little female in the pen right now she is 5mths old. Mostly to let her get used to running around on her own and to let her venture out by herself. Better than letting her sit up in the kennel doing nothing. She'll start when she is ready I guess. If she doesn't start now then I'll pick her up for a while and try again later. I let her follow the older dogs twice and she goes and stays in the brush with them with no problem.

Hey Tim, we ran Thursday morning and I ran Saturday morning for a little while but it got hot really quick. You get to run? Mike.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Seems like you can start one pup alot earlier than you can start several together. Tried starting three a couple of years ago at 4 months. What a nightmare. Ended up getting rid of two of them and man did the last one really take off.

·
Registered
560 Posts
i have had them start at a little over 3 months...and i have had them start at 6 months...and even a little later than that!!...i just give them all the opportunity that i can...they take off when they are ready!!!...question is...when do you give up trying??...at what age??...i know i have let some good ones go because they didnt start early enough for me!...not necessarily because they wouldnt bark on the track as much as they just didnt have the hunt and desire to get out there and snoop around!!!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
While in the pen throw their food in the briars. They'll start snooping around for that food.

Mike I'm going in a couple hours.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I seem to have better luck waiting till theyre 6 or 7 months old. Usually when I try to start em any younger than that they just want to run around and play.

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
I like to let young pups 2-4 months old run around the yard to start getting used to the outside world. Sight chasing tame rabbits at 5 months untill they start taking the line and then at 6-8 months get them on wild rabbits.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i start taking my pups out about 6 months old with one older slow dog to get them started.....once they get started running good and packing up and out working the old dog i will put them with a younger dog....once they start hanging with the younger dog i run them solo so they want be depending on another dog to do the work all they have thereself i will run them solo two to three days a week then put them with small pack two to three days a week....by this time they are about ten to 11 months old and have no problem running a rabbit with th pack or by thereself it has worked for me over the years

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thks guys! Its really nice to listen to others when I am arguing with myself on things like this. I am going to wait a couple of months to take her to a starting pen. I live on a farm and there are lots of rabbits around this year. I usually let my pups run a day or two a week so maybe she will sart here around home if shes ready. we normally don't have that many rabbits but it looks like its gonna be a good year. Hope they make it too season we oughta have some good hunts!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I think puppies need lots of short trips around the field, this type of repetition, even if not benefiting their hunting skill at this time will make them handle and become biddable latter in the game(while they're young, they look to you).
Puppies start when they're ready, tossing kibble (or little bits of hotdog as I use) wakes up the puppies nose and gets them to searching. The hour before dark or the hour at daylight is enough, and the best times for a puppy to catch a view and better scent.
Keep it fun, short and often. :thumb:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have seen diff. line start at diff. times, I know I have some Northway and like to start them at 6-8 months, you would think lord this hound aint never hoing to click, and about the time you want to give up on em, click, every time out better and better, until they are hammering em. But also saw some spur stuff that 4 months old starting up and clicking. I also think and just me is working them, I see alot of guys have pups and not mess w/em untill 6months old and take them to the starting pen, some start some dont, but 90& of the same guys are on a forum with the question "what do you do when your dog wont come to you in the field? should I shock it?" LOLLMAO, Great time to decide to train your hound to come,lol.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts