Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Tj that looks good. I want to go elk hunting one day before I leave this earth. How does it taste compared to whitetail deer?
Have you ever ate mule deer? If so what’s the comparison to whitetail?
My cousin goes out west and hunts them. He told me he was going to give me some of each species but so far all I got was a bear tenderloin that was the size of a hotdog. And let it get freezer burned so I didn’t get to try that.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Tj that looks good. I want to go elk hunting one day before I leave this earth. How does it taste compared to whitetail deer?
Have you ever ate mule deer? If so what’s the comparison to whitetail?
My cousin goes out west and hunts them. He told me he was going to give me some of each species but so far all I got was a bear tenderloin that was the size of a hotdog. And let it get freezer burned so I didn’t get to try that.
Deadeye go out and shoot you a sika deer, they are a member of the elk family, I have eaten both and the taste very similar and sika are fun to hunt, you should have them close to you , we used to go on Assateague National park and hunt them, it was a lot of fun. Bear meat the size of a hot dog, LOL, tell ole Harris to be a little more generous to his cuz

·
Super Moderator
6,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Md elk meat is very lean, not as gamey tasting as our whitetail. They are very good. I actually like better than beef. Mule deer ( unless harvested around alfalfa fields) have a sage tastes to them. A lot of that is because of where they are and what they eat ( sage grass/brush). Antelope the same. Not saying they aren’t good just different and all depends on where you hunt them. I have hunted antelope in Az, NM and Wyoming and the best flavored came from a ranch in Wy. That raised alfalfa. Same on mule deer but harvested in foothills surrounding an alfalfa farm in Az. I love wild game and we eat a lot of it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts