Weircreek

Discussion in 'Stud Dogs' started by poplar creek, Jul 7, 2020.

1. I don't care what kind of coat a dog has . There's is a couple places I run . If you run more than two days a week and dog that wags his tail alot. It will be raw.Just my opinion it's more on how much one wags its tail than its coat . A dog with small tail want have as much problem as a broom handle tail. Just my opinion from my experience .

2. marshall dillon

marshall dillon Well-Known Member

Virginia
    I agree with you poplar creek .

I have a grade dog with a thin tail and he never gets a bloody tail and he hunts with my Black Creek dogs . He doesn’t swing his tail as hard and fast as they do .

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

SE Ohio
    My experience has been that a hound with a good thick coat and tail will have fewer problems than a slick rat tailed hound.

I bred to FC Northway Ninja in 1995 and got some very thin coats, although one of the puppies was probably the best running hound I have had. It took me a few generations to breed out the thin coats. Today I have that cross throughout my pedigrees but my hounds can run for hours in blackberry and multiflora rose cutover with very little blood showing. As you can tell, I am not a fan of tail docking any breed. Not only is it unsightly, but the tail has a purpose - even on a Doberman.

ww3, Easy Track and Circle4p like this.
  4. marshall dillon

marshall dillon Well-Known Member

Virginia
    Poplar”s dog has a very thick tail , but as you can see it is bloody . Maybe not enough to bother his hunt , but it is bloody .

When it affects the hunt and comfort of the dog I band them . They hunt better and are not in pain . I have seen enough of my Black Creek dogs that get the sore bloody tails that I dock now when they are puppies . And I don’t consider their coats thin or rat tails . It’s more about how fast and hard they swing them .

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  5. Grizzly creek beagles

Grizzly creek beagles Well-Known Member

I can see that side of it too. I wouldn’t want any of them in pain all the time if it was bothering them that bad. I’ve had a couple over the years that were more prone to a bloody tail and maybe they would have benefited from it being docked

Circle4p and marshall dillon like this.
  6. That

That Well-Known Member

Well build hound you have sir!

7. fullcry

fullcry Active Member

How big is he?

Circle4p likes this.
  8. I'm going to say 14.5

Circle4p likes this.
  9. AJ Johnson

AJ Johnson Well-Known Member

I have a question about DNA! I'm still a newbie, and am wondering what is the reason for getting DNA. Is it because you don't have papers and trying to get them, or what. Just wondering because I have a male who is not registered.

[email protected] and Circle4p like this.
  10. No he is registered AKC but AKC requires you to do dna on a male. If he breeds more than 3 dogs in a year or seven in a lifetime . He has breed two in the last 3 months and supposed to have a few more coming in next couple months .

11. AJ Johnson

AJ Johnson Well-Known Member

I appreciate it. I'm always looking for knowledge. Been hunting a while, but new to owning my own dogs. What part of TN you in?

12. Your welcome !! I'm about 50 miles south of Nashville .