Weight vs volume

Discussion in 'Beagle Health' started by Wilbur, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Wilbur

Wilbur Well-Known Member

Im feeding a major dog food company's feed,all my coyote hounds look good there slick no parasites no Health issues, except my young cur dog he just looks ok, I picked up another brand of feed just for him and out of couriousity I weighed a cup of each, old brand X weighed 7oz new brand xx weighed 8.4 oz a lot of factors involved I'm sure but any thoughts on weight vs volume ? And I'm not gonna get in a dog food debate,just thinking out loud.......Wilbur

2. marshall dillon

marshall dillon Well-Known Member

Virginia
    Not surprised , difference ingredients weight more or less . I don’t think that you can take anything form it . I would say quality ingredients that weigh more , you could feed less volume .

3. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

size of kibble makes a difference also

4. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

michigan
    I would go by the weight!

MackC, T.Hatcher and Circle4p like this.
  5. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

michigan
    Does your Cur have any food allergies, from grains, chicken, or food dyes?

Circle4p and T.Hatcher like this.
  6. Wilbur

Wilbur Well-Known Member

image.jpeg
    No Sir, nothing he looks good just alittle thinner than I like I can't stand a poor looking dog any time of the year he's younger and pretty active I see how this feed does for him

7. thefoxes85@hotmail.com

michigan
    Good looking dog Wilbur I have a GSP that never walks, constantly on the run and is eating me out of house and home. Changing food, on the 4th brand, she has allergies, shakes her head like she has ear mites. Been to Vet everything is fine!

Circle4p and T.Hatcher like this.
  8. Grizzly creek beagles

Grizzly creek beagles Well-Known Member

My lab would shake her head quite a bit when she was younger and the only thing we could come up with was that maybe the hair around the inside of her ear was tickling her. I took the clippers to it a time or two after that it didn’t seem to bother anymore.

9. I agree with LT. Kibble size makes a difference. Example: You have a 55 gallon barrel. You fill it with tennis balls. Take the same barrel and fill it with soccer balls. Imagine the air space ( or gaps ) in the barrel with the soccer balls compared to when its filled with tennis balls. This is a little extreme when comparing dog food kibble but some kibble is larger than others.

10. Wilbur

Wilbur Well-Known Member

Thanks for your Imput I know race horse folks feed hay by weight because all hay doesn't weigh the same guess I just never gave it much thought....Wilbur

[email protected] likes this.
  11. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

yes sir Wilbur that is my understanding too. Also they test for protein ,