Rabbit Dogs banner

Watch your step

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  OldManJim 
#1 ·
Wood Road surface Tree Asphalt Tar
On the way to my kennels i have some small cypress trees with old tires around them to keep the mower and weedeater from skinning up my trees. As i passed by one of them this bad boy was bowed up trying to hit me. I'd have never saw him if not for his foul mood and aggression he'd have gone unnoticed and lived to see another day. Them snakes are out, yall be careful, like my Pawpaw told me years ago, dont step or stick your hand anywhere you wouldnt stick your Johnson! [emoji23]

See less See more
#2 ·
View attachment 56449 On the way to my kennels i have some small cypress trees with old tires around them to keep the mower and weedeater from skinning up my trees. As i passed by one of them this bad boy was bowed up trying to hit me. I'd have never saw him if not for his foul mood and aggression he'd have gone unnoticed and lived to see another day. Them snakes are out, yall be careful, like my Pawpaw told me years ago, dont step or stick your hand anywhere you wouldnt stick your Johnson! [emoji23]
Sounds like good advice!! Lol

#4 ·
Steve, if he'd have bitten me, the poisin wouldnt have had time to get me, i'd have had a heart attack. All the rain has pushed the creek up out of the tree line into the edge of the yard. Them fat boys love to hide out at the waters edge. This one was as aggressive as i've ever dealt with. He was 40 inches long as big as my forearm at the thickest spot. True old stumptail there

#6 ·
That’s a fat one . Glad that you didn’t get bit .

I had a snake in my garage right by my car door . If it wanted to bite me it would of had me . It was a young snake and looked like a copperhead , but I think it was a juvenile black snake . I haven’t seen it since , but I am not worried about it coming back . It is illegal to kill snakes in Virginia unless it is posing a danger . Any venomous snake or unidentifiable snake that I see , I consider a danger .

#7 ·
Sometimes when im fishing i'll see snakes and i have trouble distinguishing a water snake from a moccasin, and i err on the side of caution and assume its a cottonmouth. I got a good refresher course today, there is no mistaking a big stump tail, i could smell him in that tire and he was meaner than a coonazz woman thats husband come home broke and drunk on payday! [emoji23]

#14 ·
before i quit deer hunting i was setting between two huge limbs of a blow-down oak tree each limb bigger than a basketball---caught a glimpse of something and looked and time stood still-----copperhead about 3 foot long crawled beside me from behind close enough to rub my clothes----moving slow but moving forward ---i froze and not sure if i breathed----heart racing---watched him crawl away and i sat there in shock-------it was just before dark and on the way out of the woods everything i saw looked like a snake. I was shook up pretty good.
living in snake country is ok iguess but i really liked hunting up north where theres not any

#16 ·
After i killed the big one and the dogs killed one i went back to running-----last night was not good-----ol'mammy dog---12yo grand daughter of boggy holler budget got it 4 times from the corner of her mouth to below her ear and twice on inside of upper lip-----worst year for snakes----over18 bites between 3 dogs-----tonight was payday and satch's nite-----guess they will miss out on it

#17 ·
Years ago my grandpaw had an old black n tan cocker spaniel , stayed outside around the farm, called him Lamont, like Sanford and Son, he was a snake killing machine. He'd jump off the creek bank and swim behind any snake til he caught and killed it. I know i saw him bit well over 25 times by copperheads and mocassins. I was told one bit him on the nose when he was a pup and he hated all snakes since then. He'd swell up and the next day he'd be fine, kinda like he was immune to the venom. When he was alive you never saw a snake anywhere on the property, he actually knew where to hunt for snakes, if you took him to the pond, creek or river he looked in the nastiest places like his life depended on it. Never saw nothin like it before or since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.