Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been feeding Valu-Pak for a year now, Black during hunting season and Blue during off season. Love how the food ingredients are with No Corn, No Soy etc. My dogs slimmed down and had good energy. The last batch that I bought, my dogs started to drop off in weight, stools would not firm up. Had stool checked, no worms, Giardia or Coccidia. Tried all I can try and stools look like a bowl of oatmeal and I'm not happy with the looks of my dogs. Anyone else having this issue ? I'm switching to something else, thoughts of Showtime and Pride ? Sportsman Pride is out of the question, they've had the same quality control issues.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I was feeding mine The Pride black bag . They had good stools . I switched to Diamond large breed chicken and rice off season and the Extreme Athlete in season . The stools are not as solid , but the dogs look good . The reason I switched from The Pride , is because one of them was having a breathing problem and seizure like symptoms when running , mostly when warm . I thought I would try switching food . I haven’t seen the problems , but it is not warm now . I was going to try the orange bag of The Pride 27-20 , but the store that had it was closed , so I just went with Diamond . It is easier to find near me when I need it at Tractor Supply .

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I've been feeding Valu-Pak for a year now, Black during hunting season and Blue during off season. Love how the food ingredients are with No Corn, No Soy etc. My dogs slimmed down and had good energy. The last batch that I bought, my dogs started to drop off in weight, stools would not firm up. Had stool checked, no worms, Giardia or Coccidia. Tried all I can try and stools look like a bowl of oatmeal and I'm not happy with the looks of my dogs. Anyone else having this issue ? I'm switching to something else, thoughts of Showtime and Pride ? Sportsman Pride is out of the question, they've had the same quality control issues.
This worries me. I am in the process of trying ValuPak and have prepaid for 12 bags 24/20 Silver!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the same problem with valu pak black bag 4 dogs and all had loose stools I used 2 bags and it never cleared up I am now trying the silver bag 24-20 I have only been using it for 1 week stools are a lot better than they were with black bag also people say to use less of valu pak but when I did my dogs lost weight I have used p and p premium gold top energy black bag 24-20 and it looks like it is going to be hard for another feed to be any better may just keep using it

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I have been feeding black bag for awhile now,dogs have alot of energy but have to feed twice as much to try to maintain weight, the place I get mine from carry the orange, blue, and black bag, I talked with them about getting the silver bag which I am thinking will work better for my hounds ,they said they can get it but price will be more than the black bag which makes absolutely no sense

·
Super Moderator
7,094 Posts
I’ve been feeding ValuPak for over a year/half. Was feeding red bag 24/20 but switched to 24/20 silver bag about 2 months ago. Dogs doing well and stools are firm not runny. I like both just wanted to try grain free to see the difference. Havnt fed 28/20 black bag but sometimes that high of protein will cause stool issues. I have also found out over the years if feeding real high protein that some dogs will develop irritable bowel syndrome! My Vet confirmed my suspicion a couple years back. If I were to change feed I would go back to 24/18 Victor. Best stools and fewest of any dog food I’ve fed. I changed because it was 40# bag for $34 and ValuPak was 50# for $24. I feed 2 cups during hard running and cut back to 1-1 1/2 cups in inactive times. Wish you the best.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a big male that starts whining and whimpering the moment he sees me with food. If I were to put a 50
# bag of food in his kennel he would attempt to eat it all. Been feeding TSC's 4 Health. Three dogs eat it; one won't touch it. Tempted to switch to Diamond, feed it consistently and according to package directions.

·
Super Moderator
3,689 Posts
I have a big male that starts whining and whimpering the moment he sees me with food. If I were to put a 50
# bag of food in his kennel he would attempt to eat it all. Been feeding TSC's 4 Health. Three dogs eat it; one won't touch it. Tempted to switch to Diamond, feed it consistently and according to package directions.
FYI 4 Health is made by Diamond.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had the same problem with valu pak black bag 4 dogs and all had loose stools I used 2 bags and it never cleared up I am now trying the silver bag 24-20 I have only been using it for 1 week stools are a lot better than they were with black bag also people say to use less of valu pak but when I did my dogs lost weight I have used p and p premium gold top energy black bag 24-20 and it looks like it is going to be hard for another feed to be any better may just keep using it
I tried feeding less and the dogs acted like they are starving and dropped too much weight
I’m mixing the blue bag with showtime and the stools are much better

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been feeding black bag for awhile now,dogs have alot of energy but have to feed twice as much to try to maintain weight, the place I get mine from carry the orange, blue, and black bag, I talked with them about getting the silver bag which I am thinking will work better for my hounds ,they said they can get it but price will be more than the black bag which makes absolutely no sense
I’ve tried feeding them twice as much and then the stools get worse
I’m mixing showtime with the blue bag of valu pak and it’s already better

1 - 20 of 29 Posts