Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Children are the BEST socializing teachers- they need to gain your trust and it is soooo much easier for young dogs to do that with "Little People" than adults. Be patient and DON'T give up NEVER raise your voice or move too quickly toward them or let them know that U R a threat-- give them treats them when they come and PRAISE,PRAISE them

Good Luck

Jim

·
Registered
550 Posts
Agree with Hippy , kids are best at getting a dog comfortable and used to people ... sooner or later the dog with click in and get used to you ... it’s a shame it happens to a pup some are just that way ... first thing most get that pup to start coming to you when you call it in reward with a hotdog or something ... and get it out soon this is time to start training a pup around that age to run rabbits take it out 2-3 time a week keep feeding it tracks you and that pup will be a team sooner than you know it

·
Registered
992 Posts
I’ve always found that there’s a window of time in a pups life where they need to be socialized properly in order to have a easy handling personality as a grown dog. My kids handle all mine before their eyes even open. Any that i aquired that were over 8 or 9 weeks old that were people shy i ended up being a one man dog. It sure dont affect their hunting ability as i’ve seen n owned some good ones that only let the person that feeds em catch em. If you have one thats good in the field as a pup, its worth putting in the extra time with them around the house. They may never be totally personable but you can improve the shyness enough to have a functional gun dog

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
That’s why I like to get them at around 6-9 weeks old and then fool with them constantly. Goes a long ways to creating easy handling dogs. If it’s from one of my litters they’re handled daily from birth and a hour or so a day from 5 weeks till they’re sold. I’ve never had a shy pup out of six litters

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Children are the BEST socializing teachers- they need to gain your trust and it is soooo much easier for young dogs to do that with "Little People" than adults. Be patient and DON'T give up NEVER raise your voice or move too quickly toward them or let them know that U R a threat-- give them treats them when they come and PRAISE,PRAISE them

Good Luck

Jim
I agree w this except the treat part. I hope hippy doesn’t mind my saying. I never bribe dogs into anything. My pleasure, A pat on the head ought to be enough.
I’ve said it before I’m not training seals w fish. My friend used to have a “dog training” school. She’s a great girt and I completely respect her but she was big on a treat reward. That’s not a reward, it’s a bribe.
Have a dog was pretty well unsocialized when I got her. You’d get her on a lead and all she wanted was to get away. Totally freaked her out. The guy I got her from said he caught her w treats. She would come to him but w an outstretched neck, rear two legs ready to get oughta dodge.
After feeding her, watering her, making her do nothing she wasn’t comfortable with I hunted her. She was hard to catch but eventually came. Now with working w her she trusts me, I call her she comes straight in wagging her tail. She’s happy to get the head pat and ear scratch. She’s even one of the dogs I let in the house. She’s actually no trouble at all and it took her a bit but my girl and her daughter can handle her as well now. Took the daughter 4 months of trying before she’d let her near. Now they’re buddies. Now this isn’t an isolated incident. I don’t get why someone doesn’t socialize. Pay some kids $5 to take it and play w it.
Remember if the pup wasn’t socialized it prob never got ear scratched or head pats.That’d be a big treat and a way to begin trusting you. Even a stray dog if you throw food out will sneak in for a piece. Doesn’t have anything to do with really trusting you. Imo treats will actually prolong the issue. Mask the real problem. Food is enough, the rest is up to you. Take your time and don’t force her. She’ll come around. Put her in a box in the garage a bit. You’ll have to walk her but she’ll get used to being led, touched, etc pretty quick. Not indefinitely now just a bit initially as an idea to speed things up. Make no mistake if you want to give her a treat it’s ok, it just shouldt be a primary “training tool”.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
One thing I have observed over the years whether training bird dogs, coon hounds or beagles , kneel down and get eye to eye instead of standing as your not as big of a threat if they are people shy. as said utilize kids to help socialize also.
So true TJ with the eye contact at their level. Not as intimidating. I do the same thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts