Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have two bitches due to come in heat in may, SMOKEY GALS, solid gun dogs with only minor faults. Just wondering who you guys feel is the best of the best in that style of hound today? My gals do everything good = hunt, nose, speed ubgf Med, tight! There good, not great! Who would y'all breed too try for great?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,770 Posts
Have two bitches due to come in heat in may, SMOKEY GALS, solid gun dogs with only minor faults. Just wondering who you guys feel is the best of the best in that style of hound today? My gals do everything good = hunt, nose, speed ubgf Med, tight! There good, not great! Who would y'all breed too try for great?
[/QUOT

TUFF E NUFF PAYDAY is now a FC---got it the ol'fashioned way--HE EARNED IT-----he crosses on smokey gyps great and produces above average talent---4 pups out of a smokey?payday litter are placing in all age at 16 months old----THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD FC DOGS ------JUST LOOK FOR THE REAL DEAL

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
YOU NAILED IT! ~ Field trials were to improve the beagle----some how they took a wrong turn and ribbons and trophys took priority
Yep, its still hard work and quite an accomplishment, but there are so many trials these days. You read about the old days and how they may take years and travel all over the country to make a CH. Now its not uncommon for a Derby or dang near a derby to be one. Again, not knocking todays FC, still takes a good dog and hard work.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'll jump in and add a helpful answer I think you are looking for-- I've raised many pups over the past decades and am now working on a 12th generation in my bitch line. There are several worthy males in my southern Indiana area that I raised and have bred back too that i could suggest owners in which you could call or other references on the line. Most of the younger of these have Buckshot Jones in the ped 6-7 times with outcrosses to Cad Jack and Gary Browns Cawood & Tall Paul as well as Shorts Pro, Yellow Creek, Patch & Pearson Creek further back. Been trying to keep my early line hard core jump dog qualities coupled with the best of the buckshot traits and good outcrosses to keep size and not get too close. My goal was the "whole package" hunting dog---- meaning brains, handling, and overall personality in addition to field performance. Many also retrieve.

I think these males would likely be great producers because they are linebred many generations deep--- and will likely throw some real hybrid vigor on an outcross. They are proven in the fields with hundreds of rabbits shot over them. To be honest, I can't even say whether the owners would want calls to breed them beyond our small group---- but they should because they are likely hidden gems.

I'll check with them and see and if you want to PM me with an email address and they approve, I'll send you the peds / contacts. I'm certain they wont want dozens of calls and travelers from a far-- they will view it as just helping out and won't want to mess with much. Just FYI that we have good never promoted options here in So IN. if thats the area of interest.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
IMG_8387.jpg

I don’t trial but I’ve been a big fan of my dog’s sire (this is dog’s pedigree) from a distance for rabbit dogs.

Most people I know have dogs off of him that they speak highly of and they’re rabbit hunters, but he has some young dogs out of him that are showing up and placing at trials.

For me I like the natural talent, the good mouth, the hunt and grit, the foot, and it seems he’s been producing consistently.

I also like the breeding behind him.

At six months my male is probably one of the most out of the pen naturally talented and confident dogs I’ve seen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you looking for power, or nose, or specific check work? Also what size and where are you?
12 to 13 inches and all of the above on talent. If I were going to outcross, he has to be the real deal. You guys know what I am talking about. That dog that is just awesome! Paper don't run rabbits, but it is a easy way for guys like me who don't get to the trials to find dogs with great potential. Smokey bred dogs have done well by me, but one bitch is staying linebred and the other I am going to find the best damn dog i can find and roll the dice! It will be interesting.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Location? there may be a quality stud not too far from you. Just a word of advice though. If your breeding only good females but wanting great pups, that's a tall order for any stud. The female matters alot.
I agree Mack. When I say good I mean good. Money could buy them. A bunch of money. When I say great, a pound of gold could not touch them. Nothing worse then a houndsmen bragging how great he is to other houndsmen....

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I cant give a recommendation on what u need because we haven’t saw your dogs run. You can say they are great Most people want the Hot Male FC dog that’s being trialed then bash Field trial dogs because ithey don’t match up with what they had but they can sell pups. The female make a difference Also

1 - 20 of 23 Posts