Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us call ourselves one but how many of us can really walk the walk. I know not many my age can. I want to know if I could really make it without all the amenities of our great country. Who thinks they can go stay in the great remote areas that are left without a store, house, mattress, electric,running water?
I can’t remember who it was but I was reading on here a few weeks ago about one of our outdoorsman brothers on here staying out for a week while a hurricane was coming. And he stayed. A lot of us would’ve tucked our tail and went home. But he was all man and stayed and I’m sure he has a lot of stories to go with his trip. I congratulate him on being able to do it.
I would love to try it.
I think I would like to try it for a month
I would need..
fishing gear
Shotgun
.17 hmr
Ammunition
Cookware
Sleeping bag
Fire starter
Woman
Shovel
Hand saw
Ax
And I think I would be good
Who would try this?
What would y’all need to try this???
How long do you think you could do it?

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
25 years ago I would have loved to try but I’m to soft now. The closest I ever came to this type of survival trip was by accident. I was solo archery elk hunting and had settled camp and threw my backpack together! I always carried water and dehydrated food packets, survival gear and a space blanket. I threw in my truck and drove to an isolated area about 15mi from camp where I had planned to start my backpack elk hunting quest the next day! I threw on my pack and off I went to scout a little ravine before nightfall and see if I heard any bugles. Sure enough they were there so I hiked back to my truck and headed back to camp to make preps for morning hunt. I hadn’t gone a hundred yards when my truck popped and started knocking and sounded terrible! I started checking it out and finally after a couple hrs figured I had bent a push rod. I can attest to a Ford truck will run in low 4wheel drive at an idle for many miles. I got back to camp about midnight finally. I slept in next morning and hiked to nearest camp about 2 mi away and he took me into a parts store about an hour away where I had to order my push rod and called my buddy that was coming up in a few days to hunt with me. (We didn’t have cell phones then). I got back to camp and packed my backpack for 4 days food/water and took off. 2nd day I Arrowed a nice bull. Boned it out and started packing back to camp. Skin and horns were last trip. Took me 3 days packing. I spent 3 nights out total but only had freeze dried food 1 night. Elk on an open fire was great. I thanked the Lord for allowing the harvest,I prayed for safety and strength and meditated on and soaked up ALL of God’s wonderful creation. I cried from exhaustion but if I could do that all over again I would in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
406 Posts
25 years ago I would have loved to try but I’m to soft now. The closest I ever came to this type of survival trip was by accident. I was solo archery elk hunting and had settled camp and threw my backpack together! I always carried water and dehydrated food packets, survival gear and a space blanket. I threw in my truck and drove to an isolated area about 15mi from camp where I had planned to start my backpack elk hunting quest the next day! I threw on my pack and off I went to scout a little ravine before nightfall and see if I heard any bugles. Sure enough they were there so I hiked back to my truck and headed back to camp to make preps for morning hunt. I hadn’t gone a hundred yards when my truck popped and started knocking and sounded terrible! I started checking it out and finally after a couple hrs figured I had bent a push rod. I can attest to a Ford truck will run in low 4wheel drive at an idle for many miles. I got back to camp about midnight finally. I slept in next morning and hiked to nearest camp about 2 mi away and he took me into a parts store about an hour away where I had to order my push rod and called my buddy that was coming up in a few days to hunt with me. (We didn’t have cell phones then). I got back to camp and packed my backpack for 4 days food/water and took off. 2nd day I Arrowed a nice bull. Boned it out and started packing back to camp. Skin and horns were last trip. Took me 3 days packing. I spent 3 nights out total but only had freeze dried food 1 night. Elk on an open fire was great. I thanked the Lord for allowing the harvest,I prayed for safety and strength and meditated on and soaked up ALL of God’s wonderful creation. I cried from exhaustion but if I could do that all over again I would in a heartbeat.
Great story TJ! I really enjoyed reading that! Praise the Lord you were safe and got to experience something you would never have chosen to take on!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Don’t know if I could do it but know a guy that could’ve or did whichever. Lonzo was a guy that was my grandpa’s friend. He lived in a two room cabin not a mile outside of town. He kept it milk and cheese and such in the well to keep it cold. No running water or electricity. He’d have a chair leaned up against the cabin and shoot squirrel across the road. Never seen a man so happy when my grandma got him a cooler and battery powered radio

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,584 Posts
when i was young and growing up in the mountains of eastern ky---i would take a horse--a sack of garden food---gun and bedroll and stay in the wooods for as long as i wanted to . supplementing wild game with the garden stuff. I had camps under cliffs that you could winter in if necessary. went back there about 10 years ago and all the best places have 4 wheeler roads and some you can drive a jeep to. SAME way with fishing---hit the tug ---powell or cumberland river and trotline and limbline---stay as long as you wanted

I CAN STILL DO ALL OF IT IN MY MIND ~~~ IF I COULD JUST GET THIS BODY TO GO ALONG !! 😉 :oops:(y)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Many of us call ourselves one but how many of us can really walk the walk. I know not many my age can. I want to know if I could really make it without all the amenities of our great country. Who thinks they can go stay in the great remote areas that are left without a store, house, mattress, electric,running water?
I can’t remember who it was but I was reading on here a few weeks ago about one of our outdoorsman brothers on here staying out for a week while a hurricane was coming. And he stayed. A lot of us would’ve tucked our tail and went home. But he was all man and stayed and I’m sure he has a lot of stories to go with his trip. I congratulate him on being able to do it.
I would love to try it.
I would need..
fishing gear
Shotgun
.17 hmr
Ammunition
Cookware
Sleeping bag
Fire starter
Woman
Shovel
Hand saw
Ax
Who would try this?
One year we took our kids camping for a week for Spring Break instead of going to Florida and they loved it. Now I admit, I did use an air mattress because of my back (not that it helps much), but other than that it was tent and sleeping bags. We built fires, bathed in the creek and cooked everything on a skillet on the open fire. I know this is not living off the land ( I took food in a cooler lol), but I believe all kids should experience not having the luxury of a/c, refrigerator, couch, tv and so forth. It will drive them crazy, or make them appreciate the things they have in life. Great post.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would love to try it.
I would need..
fishing gear
Shotgun
.17 hmr
Ammunition
Cookware
Sleeping bag
Fire starter
Woman
Shovel
Hand saw
Ax
Who would try this?
I would definitely need these items lol

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I agree 100% AJ. Gotta get the kids out away from their everyday comforts of home. We usually take ours on a couple weekend backpack/tailgate camping trips every year. One year we hiked in 5 miles and set up camp with what little we could pack in on our backs. I think the girls where 5 and 7 at the time and Sis was just a flop eared puppy. The next day we hiked another 10-12 miles, stopped at a fishing hole and caught/cooked lunch, then hiked back to the truck. The next night we dropped the tailgate and did a pull up campsite. They still talk about that trip and have been begging to take it again. Now that our little boy is starting to get around pretty good we will probably go back next year with the whole crew, including Sis' puppies!

I'm not saying my crew could survive for years out in the wilderness but I think we would fare better than the average bear. I know some pretty secluded caves and rockhouses that still have smoke stains on their walls from Indians long ago. If it was good enough for them it would be good enough for us!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
God is good....Life is good...GO LIVE BIG....LIVE LARGE......LIVE LIKE A MAN...…STOP using your AGE and your health issues as YOUR EXCUSE...FIND A WAY....USE YOUR HEAD.....MAKE LIFE HAPPEN OR YOUR DEAD ALREADY!

We got em…….. 80 years old doing it with us every step of the way every time we go because they want. IF you stop they will step on you ….TO LIVE... before they DIE.....DON'T Just DREAM about LIVING...... while watching someone else...…. DO IT on TV... Throw that TV LIFE STEALING DEVIL in the TRASH and..... GET to LIVING!!!!……...TIME IS SHORT!

DON":T worry about dying......Many of you are already dead in your chair...dead in your mind....you have already given up...what have you got to loose except...…SOME MORE OF THE LITTLE LIFE YOU HAVE LEFT..... DON'T let the Doctors Report...….SCARE YOU OUT OF LIVING WHAT TIME YOU GOT LEFT. ME AND GOD DECIDES WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT DO AND WHEN I"M GONNA DIE...NOT the DOCTOR.....HE DON'T GET A VOTE only a say.

LIFE IS PRICELESS......WHAT WOULD A MAN GIVE...PAY TO HAVE HIS LIFE BACK???…..MAKE LIFE COUNT...…LOOSE WEIGHT.....GET OFF YOU BUTT AND ON YOUR FEET.....YOU AIN"T DEAD YET!!!!.

NO.....REGRET>>>>NO RETREAT>>>>>>NO TURNING BACK>>>>>NEVER GIVE UP>>>>>NEVER GIVE UP>>>>>NEVER GIVE UP>>>>>>>NEVER!!!!!!!

THE WORLD and OUR FAMILY are looking searching for..... A FEW GOOD MEN......GO BE...... THAT M-A-N...... Take your horns out of your back pocket and screw them back into your head where they BLEONG.......OLD OR NOT....YOUR STILL...…. THE HOOKING BULL...... IN LIFES PASTURE.........BOOM...!!!.....ACT LIKE IT.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
5,584 Posts
MY last camping was enough to last me a lifetime ~~ in 1999 i was mis diagnosed with ALS and given 18 months to live----AND going thru a divorce. I got disgusted and gave her everything---told her and the doctor to KMA and moved to ky lake with everything i had in a laundry basket . I lived feb--march and april in a tent in the woods at the waters edge---sick as a dog .
looking back it probably helped me to cope better. cold and wet outside. NO FORAGING that time--i eat out of cans from the store. I had a curr dog and spent what time i was able training him.
GOOD MEMORIES but tough times. no more rough camps for me

I laugh now when i look back ~~ I was a hippie and if you seen me with a grocery bag and guitar----i was not shopping-----i was moving
I worked 30 years most times 2 jobs and the only improvement to show----a laundry basket for clothes instead of a grocery bag

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Wow!

We live like that all the time....I never new it was called..... camping. Booger Red always told me it was called life. Oh well..

What ever it is called...I like it.

Yawl ought to see how ole Nuc-Money-Dog lives life out on the Range....Out on.... "The Ponderosa!!"....What?

Oh-yea.... He aint let me and Red go see it in the day time yet......and all.....cause...well you know.... the neighbors....they might..... see us.....you know......But I bet it's HEAVEN!...He always tells us all about it. He says that's what Heaven is gonna be like if me and booger red be good and give him everything he wants...when he comes to visit. Ain't that nice of him...??? They ain't living off the skinny...that's for dog-gone-sure. Ole Nuc-Money-Dog is a Cattle Man. Yep...that's right....He's a Real life Ben Cartwright that's for sure.......They living way up on the HOG...And....OFF THE FAT. They me and Red's Rich Friends we always brag about.

Yep........THE FAT...THE WHOLE FAT...and....... NOTHIN BUT THE FAT...…….Wonder how it feels to be FAT RICH?

Guess me an Booger will never know....He brings us a Jug of milk for us to drink when he comes to trade for three or four good running hounds.

See that's all you need to do when you go visit...….. the poor people....bring little jar of milk or an egg or some salt or something with a little nourishment in it.....Something they can eat...... and you can get everything they got that they can't eat cause they...HUNGERY.

Ole Ponderosa Nuc-Money...…..His wheels..... they go ...Click....Click......Click....He's so smart and cute as Speedy Gonzales.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Wow!

We live like that all the time....I never new it was called..... camping. Booger Red always told me it was called life. Oh well..

Yawl ought to see how ole Nuc-Money-Dog lives life out on the Range....Out on.... "The Ponderosa!!"....What?

Oh-yea.... He aint let me and Red go see it in the day time yet......and all.....cause...well you know.... the neighbors....they might..... see us.....you know......But I bet it's HEAVEN!...He always telsl us all about it. He says that's what Heaven is gonna be like if me and booger red be good and give him everything he wants...when he comes to visit. Ain't that nice of him...??? They ain't living off the skinny...that's for dog-gone-sure. Ole Nuc-Money-Dog is a Cattle Man. Yep...that's right....He's a Real life Ben Cartwright that's for sure.......They living way up on the HOG...And....OFF THE FAT. Thy me and Red's Rich Friends we always brag about.

Yep........THE FAT...THE WHOLE FAT...and....... NOTHIN BUT THE FAT...…….Wonder how it feels to be FAT RICH?

Guess me an Booger will never know....He brings us a Jug of milk for us to drink when he comes to trade for three or four good running hounds.

See that's all you need to do when you go visit...….. the poor people....bring little jar of milk or an egg or some salt or something with a little nourishment in it.....Something they can eat...... and you can get everything they got that they can't eat cause they...HUNGERY.

Ole Ponderosa Nuc-Money...…..His wheels..... they go ...Click....Click......Click....He's so smart and cute as Speedy Gonzales.
LMAO !!!!!!!!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Mr. Mitch you're something ELSE for shore!!!!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My roughing it now days is going to my cabin. Its a mile back in the timber with gas lights, gas cook stove, woodstove for heat and an outhouse. I do have an LP generator that I can run at night for electricity to watch my John Wayne and Clint Eastwood videos.:)

If you want to see true roughing it, watch Alone on the history channel, I'd like to try out for it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My roughing it now days is going to my cabin. Its a mile back in the timber with gas lights, gas cook stove, woodstove for heat and an outhouse. I do have an LP generator that I can run at night for electricity to watch my John Wayne and Clint Eastwood videos.:)

If you want to see true roughing it, watch Alone on the history channel, I'd like to try out for it.
I like that show
I would love to try it... only thing in my no matter what I won’t quit because the winner of that show gets a lot of money

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow!

Oh-yea.... He aint let me and Red go see it in the day time yet......and all.....cause...well you know.... the neighbors....they might..... see us.....you know......But I bet it's HEAVEN!...He always tells us all about it. He says that's what Heaven is gonna be like if me and booger red be good and give him everything he wants...when he comes to visit. Ain't that nice of him...??? They ain't living off the skinny...that's for dog-gone-sure. Ole Nuc-Money-Dog is a Cattle Man. Yep...that's right....He's a Real life Ben Cartwright that's for sure.......They living way up on the HOG...And....OFF THE FAT. They me and Red's Rich Friends we always brag about.

All right “Little Joe”, it’s not nice to tell tales!
As you well know, one man’s cull is another man’s top dog! Keep culling brother, I can always build another kennel!
He keeps taking about living off the “fat” cause I’ve gained 20 lbs since the spring! He thinks he’s being cute, but he ain’t!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts