Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I buy the cheapest hotdogs and cut them up . They like them better than any dog treat that I have tried and cost less . I cut the whole pack up and freeze them in a weeks worth of packages . I just mainly use them to kennel up after I run them , I don’t use training collars most of the time . They go right in , barking as they go in .

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I buy the cheapest hotdogs and cut them up . They like them better than any dog treat that I have tried and cost less . I cut the whole pack up and freeze them in a weeks worth of packages . I just mainly use them to kennel up after I run them , I don’t use training collars most of the time . They go right in , barking as they go in .
I hate to admit it but mine like a plain McDonald’s cheeseburger from time to time especially after a great hunt. 😬

·
Registered
248 Posts
I buy frozen beef liver. Boil it, drain water off, slice into strips and use as training treats or for after hunt snacks. On long hunts I keep some in a zip lock bag in my coat and I even have some from time to time. Its cheaper than most treats, doesn't have all the sodium like some other treats. Can make a big batch and place slices on wax paper, folding to keep slices seperate, then place in zip lock and put in freezer, thaw in fridge before use.

·
Registered
575 Posts
At end of year I take about 10-15 rabbits grind the meat up put it in a jerky cocking gun and make rabbit strips put them in oven to cook a little , comes out like jerky I give it to the dogs

does anyone feed their dog rabbit hearts my dad used save a big bag of dog hearts at end of season feed them to his dogs for treats ... if lungs had spots on them he threw all heart and guts out ... me I never did it , didn’t trust diseases rabbits maybe carrying he always saw dogs as meat eaters they should eat raw diet so he gave them hearts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I give mine briars as they are vegetarians.

The only problem is.... I think they have become addicted to them cause anytime they see me or my wife or my truck or my four wheeler or a leash or a shotgun they start roaring and barking and hollering screaming, cutting flips, locking on to the fence with their teeth and pulling on it while humping backwards and screaming like a bunch of crack addicts tearing up my kennel until I let them out to graze on more briars.

I told them they are uncontrollable and need treatment.

Actually one of my dogs Blood came to me later on that evening after running himself to almost death he was a wreck and admitted to me that he was powerless over briars—that his life had become completely unmanageable. He also asked me if I knew of a Power greater than ourselves that could restore him to sanity.

I told him he needed to make a decision to turn his will and his life over to the care of God as he understood him and that he needed to make a searching and fearless moral inventory of himself and that he needed to admit to God, to himself, and to another k-9 the exact nature of his wrongs. I told him he needed to be entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character and that he should humbly ask Him to remove his shortcomings.

I told Blood he should make list of all persons he had harmed, and become willing to make amends to them all. I said you need to make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others and that he should continued to take personal inventory and when he was wrong promptly admit it.

I said Blood..... you need to seek through prayer and meditation to improve your conscious contact with God, as you understand Him , praying only for knowledge of His will for you and the power to carry... that out. I told him that having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, he should try to carry this message to the rest of his kennel mates, and to practice these principles in all his daily affairs and then he could be Briar Free! he would have the briars the briars wouldn't have him!

So we are working on that as we have daily meeting as a kennel family at feeding time every day.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I give mine briars as they are vegetarians.

The only problem is.... I think they have become addicted to them cause anytime they see me or my wife or my truck or my four wheeler or a leash or a shotgun they start roaring and barking and hollering screaming, cutting flips, locking on to the fence with their teeth and pulling on it while humping backwards and screaming like a bunch of crack addicts tearing up my kennel until I let them out to graze on more briars.

I told them they are uncontrollable and need treatment.

Actually one of my dogs Blood came to me latter on that evening after running himself to almost death he was a wreck and admitted to me that he was powerless over briars—that his life had become completely unmanageable. He also asked me if I knew of a Power greater than ourselves that could restore him to sanity.

I told him he needed to make a decision to turn his will and his life over to the care of God as he understood him and that he needed to make a searching and fearless moral inventory of himself and that he needed to admit to God, to himself, and to another k-9 the exact nature of his wrongs. I told him he needed to be entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character and that he should humbly ask Him to remove his shortcomings.

I told Blood he should make list of all persons he had harmed, and become willing to make amends to them all. I said you need to make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others and that he should continued to take personal inventory and when he was wrong promptly admit it.

I said Blood..... you need to seek through prayer and meditation to improve your conscious contact with God, as you understand Him , praying only for knowledge of His will for you and the power to carry... that out. I told him that having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, he should try to carry this message to the rest of his kennel mates, and to practice these principles in all his daily affairs and then he could be Briar Free! he would have the briars the briars wouldn't have him!

So we are working on that as we have daily meeting as a kennel family at feeding time every day.
I laughed so hard reading that the first time I had to read it again lol
I must be a worthless dog owner I aint never give mine a treat besides the briars but I do talk to them alot that should count for something sometimes I even say nice things to them

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
At end of year I take about 10-15 rabbits grind the meat up put it in a jerky cocking gun and make rabbit strips put them in oven to cook a little , comes out like jerky I give it to the dogs

does anyone feed their dog rabbit hearts my dad used save a big bag of dog hearts at end of season feed them to his dogs for treats ... if lungs had spots on them he threw all heart and guts out ... me I never did it , didn’t trust diseases rabbits maybe carrying he always saw dogs as meat eaters they should eat raw diet so he gave them hearts
I will give the dogs rabbit and pheasant hearts, anything on the liver or lungs looks nasty everything is thrown out. JMO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts