Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I’d start this and keep y’all up to date since you’ve been kind enough To share experience and suggestions w me. I hunted w my buddy and his dogs yesterday after work. It was a quick spontaneous hunt so I didn’t have the pup with me. I killed one shortly before sunset and brought it home to the pup. I teased her with it a bit and let her jump at it and gnaw on it before we left to hunt this morning. She has not turned on yet, but she looked like a different dog in the woods. We had a tough day of hunting and never jumped one. That being said, she busted brush, had her nose to the ground more than she had her head up, and consistently stayed with the dogs. The only time she wasn’t with them was when she was in a brush pile or under a tree or in the overgrown pasture following her nose. She wasn’t doing any of these things a week ago.

Tomorrow I’m picking up a live rabbit to do some work with her. Anyone have suggestions on how to do(or not do) that with her? I’d be happy to hear them. Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a good day w the pup. You talk about brushy ! I was surprised we didn’t jump one. Best I could do was get out there early afternoon. Winds were really high but it was 74 degrees. The first 30 min she stayed behind me looking at me like I was crazy for jumping on brush piles and kicking downed trees. Then she turned on and got out in front of me and kept her nose to the ground. I’m seeing less and less puppy behavior each time. She is responding really well to toning when I want her to come to me. She’s getting a lot better and getting into thick brush and briars and places that she’s gotta squeeze into. She walked over several sets of fresh deer tracks and paid them no mind. Last week got her fired up taunting her w a dead rabbit and as soon as she got her mouth and nose on it and realized it was dead she went back to sniffing the ground lol. It was a great day to be outdoors

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Had a good day w the pup. You talk about brushy ! I was surprised we didn’t jump one. Best I could do was get out there early afternoon. Winds were really high but it was 74 degrees. The first 30 min she stayed behind me looking at me like I was crazy for jumping on brush piles and kicking downed trees. Then she turned on and got out in front of me and kept her nose to the ground. I’m seeing less and less puppy behavior each time. She is responding really well to toning when I want her to come to me. She’s getting a lot better and getting into thick brush and briars and places that she’s gotta squeeze into. She walked over several sets of fresh deer tracks and paid them no mind. Last week got her fired up taunting her w a dead rabbit and as soon as she got her mouth and nose on it and realized it was dead she went back to sniffing the ground lol. It was a great day to be outdoors
Keep doing what you are doing, she will get better. JMHO

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep putting rabbit tracks in front of her and have PATIENCE. Just saying. JMHO
I agree with you with what you said. Had a male that at 7 months he would go out with the dogs but never opened up. Till one day I killed a rabbit and gave it to him. He went crazy. After that solo him and had his first rabbit get up in front of him and he took off giving mouth like never before. But what made me proud once it got out his sight he put his nose to work. 4 days a week for 3 weeks solo him he got better and better. He can jump his own and run one now. Packs good and for him to be 15" he sure will get in any bush or lap pile. More tracks I gave him the better he got.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve greatly neglected this forum the past few months. Made some life changes and ended up moving to Sevier county, TN. Got permission on a nice little chunk of private to run the dog and it’s loaded with rabbits. Land owner let me make a ton of brush piles with the debris from his 4wheeler trails I cut n cleaned up. This evening was supposed to be a leisurely walk to exercise the dogs (had all 3 mutts too, not just the rabbit beagle pup). I seen her getting excited near a brush pile so I turned her loose. Almost immediately she opened up for the first time. Sounded good too. Sure enough she jumped a rabbit. It was hilarious when my dachshund/beagle mix and pitbull/basset hound mix come down off the ridge and got in line behind her . What I was really thrilled about was she only barked when she was on the track. When she would lose it, she wouldn’t make a peep. I’m excited to get her in the woods again

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m in a position where I can feed her tracks daily now. This evening she will have to be hunted solo. I had the other pecker heads with her again last night. They will find and run the fire outta a rabbit …but it ain’t much help to her unless she’s right there to see it jump cuz they won’t bark one bit. She was doing good and busting brush and trying to get one started . I’m liking that she doesn’t open until she’s confident. She was working in thick cover and ol dachshund beagle was working toward her from the other side of it. This is a big tangle of honeysuckle, briars, and downed trees over 100 yds long. He ended up bumping a young little rabbit and he never made a peep as usual. It shot out into the open and he immediately caught it . Soon as it squealed , her and the other mutt showed up and had that thing ate . The whole event took about 25 seconds lol. It was not ideal and hindsight is 20/20 but I reckon I’m learning just as much as the pup is. But she will def be getting solo runs here for a while. I don’t wanna rely on the other dog to jump one for her and hope that she sees or smells it before he runs it to the next county since he never makes a sound.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I’m in a position where I can feed her tracks daily now. This evening she will have to be hunted solo. I had the other pecker heads with her again last night. They will find and run the fire outta a rabbit …but it ain’t much help to her unless she’s right there to see it jump cuz they won’t bark one bit. She was doing good and busting brush and trying to get one started . I’m liking that she doesn’t open until she’s confident. She was working in thick cover and ol dachshund beagle was working toward her from the other side of it. This is a big tangle of honeysuckle, briars, and downed trees over 100 yds long. He ended up bumping a young little rabbit and he never made a peep as usual. It shot out into the open and he immediately caught it . Soon as it squealed , her and the other mutt showed up and had that thing ate . The whole event took about 25 seconds lol. It was not ideal and hindsight is 20/20 but I reckon I’m learning just as much as the pup is. But she will def be getting solo runs here for a while. I don’t wanna rely on the other dog to jump one for her and hope that she sees or smells it before he runs it to the next county since he never makes a sound.
Fun training dogs isn't it. Patience my friend, solo her, by doing that you can and will have a beagle that can do it all as the end result. JMHO

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fun training dogs isn't it. Patience my friend, solo her, by doing that you can and will have a beagle that can do it all as the end result. JMHO
I hope my post didn’t sound whiny or frustrated. I’ve been having a blast. And yeah the good Lord is using this experience to help me work on my patience haha. But yep she’s the one I got to hunt rabbits with, so she needs priority . She will go solo!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like she’s come in heat for her first time. I think I’ll keep her kenneled till it’s over. Too many wandering dogs around here
She’s confined to the kennel but doing good. She was absolutely hammering this morning . Went outside and there was a rabbit standing in the mud bout 10 yds from the kennel. Once it went outta nose/eye range, it took her awhile to settle down. I loved her up for awhile . Ready to get her back out there!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts