Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I've got a problem. Have two about 15 month old beagles. Just got the alpha tracking collars about a month ago. Been trying to train them to come back to a horn and the tone button. Individually it works until they get on a trail but then all bets are off. And together it's even worse. I try to just bump them then gradually work it up. But even when it makes them yelp. They just keep going. They are good hounds and circle rabbits well. But I'm scared I'm going to break them off of rabbits the way it's going. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
All mine act the same way sometimes ,I do the same with my Alpha as you do ..BUT after a few love taps they dont come in I let them have it and they come in soon after and I tone them wide open after doing so and watch them on my screen coming back ...never affected them running one next time I cut them loose

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yard work

Trying to hunt and do yard work at the same time can be fustrating and confusing for some dogs,obidence training imo is best done at home,I start with a check cord and about a foot of a broom handle for me to hang on to.tug,bump, here,is what I start with,your collar at this point means nothing to your hounds .gotta start with the basics in the yard,one at a time till they understand,there's not really any shortcuts to a good handling dog.....Wilbur

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kind of a blessing and a curse I have rabbits all around the house. I tried the check cord and they act right with it on. Or if I tie it on and let them run with it on.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
ETX , I had a similar problem, my friend ( a long time beagler) showed me where the issue was all me! I was afraid to ( correct) them correctly
Turn up the juice!
After I understood that tickling a dog doesn't have the proper effect , I haven't had a problem since.
Hope this helped ! Happy Beagling!
x2 :up:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm done with yelling and screaming their names, best thing I ever did was established collar with tone.
I start at young age with tone, come or here command, with 30 ft check cord. Must of time this works, as they get older and more hard headed I might add a shock, levels will depend on dog. But , I can tell u , if I press ton, 9 out 10 times, they stop on the dime and start looking for me.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Teaching your dogs to come on command could save their lives. How many times have some of us had our pack start towards a dangerous road or a train track with a train coming? Better for them to be corrected until reliably trained to come to us than for us to pick up body parts.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Im sure the check cord is a good way but if you have the time I like to train mine to down and stay while I walk away. I then use the tone to release them to come to me. I hold the tone on constant till they get to me then I bring them up on my knee and love um up. Most of mine train for praise but Ive had a very few that needed a treat instead . Lead them around for a bit to get them calmed down then bring them to a spot that has no distractions like scent or sight, concret or rock driveway. Grasp a handfull of skin on top there hips and squeeze and push them into a sit,saying down. Do this gently, if there scared they wont stay. Back away 1 step or 2 at most the first time then go back to them and praise. Once they understand they will enjoy it. I make it a game, I bring them out of the pen, put them on the bench, pose them up,put the collar on, put a snare type lead on them, take a short walk, down them, walk away get out of sight,and then tone them. They come running and jump on my knee trying to lick me.lol I know Im a old man with too much time but I thank GOD every day for these amazing hounds. IT IS GOOD

·
Registered
826 Posts
I don't ever shock one when hes on a rabbit if I need him caught I go catch him. Now if he is been broke down I may hit him but even then I am careful. If he aint on a rabbit just ranging off I will fire him up if he don't listen.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'll tone mine in a check if I need them but if it has anything to do with a rabbit I go and get them...once they know where I am I'll down them with voice commands but no shock....I come from a time when we used carbide headlamps on our hats at night running racoon so I'm not big on electricity..I was flying kites with my buddy Ben the first time I ever got shocked..lol

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I light mine up it doesnt matter what theyre doing, i hold the tone for each dog multiple times and give them ample time to find their way back to me. If one opens back up after being tonied it gets lit. If they dont find their way back to me in what i feel is a timely manner they get lit. I DO NOT have to light them very often at all....they do need a reminder now and again though. My dogs are not young dogs and i trained them thoroughly to recall with tone when younger, i wouldnt do this with a pup that doesnt kno any better. I have seen no ill effects in their running/hunting drive by being lit up while running track if they kno the drill of tone recall. At that point, they arent stupid they know they are not obeying and playing with fire.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I start teaching them down at 8 weeks & usually by 12 or so depending on the pup, they are well on there way. But the word down is used every day. I don't shock my dogs off a rabbit , unless it Is a must. If I need to catch them while running I get to where the rabbit crosses and scream down and they down. You get a few crawlers but they don't leave. On getting them to come in general , just use some tones and maybe a light bump. As a pup every time they come to me I just put some downward preasure on them and repeat the word down a few times give them a pet and let them go. You just have to be consistent for there hole life.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
From the first time my dog's put on a collar they get toned before they get the juice for anything.I don't knick my dogs.If I have to shock them it is for something that warrants lighting their ends on fire.They are intelligent enough to know that tone means business if you don't play with them.You is tired and ready to go home ain't no reason to shock him.You will only confuse him so go catch him.If he is screwing up give it to him till the battery goes dead if that what it takes.Lots of hounds ruined with a collar by folks playing with it like a toy.JMO

·
Registered
150 Posts
I never shock on rabbit. Sends mixed signal in my opinion. Tone for return and bump only if they are searching for new rabbit. Of coarse light them up on trash if needed.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I guess if u run at an open enough place u can easily catch your dogs it would work fine to just catch them when its time to quit. Im running in standing corn much of the off season so that isnt an option. My dogs r plenty intelligent enough to know if they hear tone and dont stop what theyre doing and come back tgey are getting lit up for that, not for running a rabbit which is what theyve been doing for hrs straight, several times a week for the last several yrs. The only mixed signals theyd b getting at this point woukd be if i didnt light them up when they kept running after toning. Now if u went out with a dog that hadnt been trained on tone recall and lit it up after it didnt come off track to tone that would DEFINATELY send mixed signals. Everyone has their own methods, theres more than one way to skin a cat!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts