Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vicky is 4 years old and ready for the hunts or the trials. She just came out of heat and ready to roll. She’s an upper medium speed. She’s a good jump dog. She has won from Missouri to Arkansas. She is full of energy and you can not run her down. She’s about a 13.5 inch beagle. She will give a little mouth before a rabbit is jumped but not enough to hurt anything. She’s out of HBCH Let Him Roll Dozier. I’ve just got a 1 year old female that is going to get my time and hate to see her sit in the kennel. She’s located in eastern KY. Welcome to come watch her in the field. She is not cheap but she is priced right. $4500.00
Sky Dog Building Carnivore Cloud
Dog Vertebrate Pet supply Carnivore Mammal

· Registered
951 Posts
Welcome to the site! I can honestly say, I have never seen a dog go for that on here. I’ve heard of some been sold for around that much but I’ve never seen it. She must be really nice. I’d have a hard time letting go of dog of that quality. The year old pup must be really nice. I wish you all the luck. I’d enjoy watching her run!!

· Registered
1,084 Posts
That must have been a typo he meant to put 450.00 Lol
I thought the same thing, lol. I say this with all due respect to the guy selling her
I would love to see video of her running also
The most I ever saw spent on a dog was $1500, my buddy bought her. Was a FC , pretty as hell. But while hunting she was no different then our pot lickers, died after 1 year with some type of congestive heart failure.

· Site Sponsor
820 Posts
I thought the same thing, lol. I say this with all due respect to the guy selling her
The most I ever saw spent on a dog was $1500, my buddy bought her. Was a FC , pretty as hell. But while hunting she was no different then our pot lickers, died after 1 year with some type of congestive heart failure.
Ive seen several sell off the tit for $1500. I hear of dogs selling weekly for 5k plus.

· Registered
585 Posts
Ive seen several sell off the tit for $1500. I hear of dogs selling weekly for 5k plus.
Agreed and long before these days dogs were bringing more than that...

Ive told this story before but dad sold 4 dogs to the same man (I think they were litter mates) for $25,000...the next week he sold the best dog he ever owned for $10,000.00.

None of those dogs ever saw a trial as dad judged a lot then and didn’t believe in entering dogs when he judged...

And he wouldn’t have sold any of those, especially the best one, if not for being sick...

It’s all about what the market will bare and who’s willing to pay....I wouldn’t use what dogs bring on here as a guide honestly...

This dog dog that sold for $4500...might be your kind of dog, might not..but it’s a four year old BITCH who’s apparently won a good deal, dog looks like built great and in her prime...

I say all that to say this: Go raise a dog that’s apparently well above average for four years, put the time in carrying it from trial to trial, shots, feed, or just the work it takes to get any dog to a higher level, then tell me what the dogs worth to you? Not to mention it sets back the breeding pen when’s she’s gone...hard to replace...

A buyer has to be willing to pay for all that...the mans time, expertise, and the dogs ability at the prime age of four is when it’s most valuable... or keep buying the $5-700 dogs that are 1-2 years old and hope the guy that had it for two years doesn’t know his stuff...

Like Mike, I saw pups in the 90’s bring $1,000 to certain people...Why? Because the buyer wanted the pup, they had the money to buy and was willing to pay for the pup, and the person that owned them really could care less if they sold or didn’t...

· Registered
1,091 Posts
I had 2 males back in the mid 90"s I was offered $5,000 each for, they never left my kennel.

I was offered $2,000 for one of my females last year, I said she wasn't for sale, especially for that price. The guy said name your price, I said she's not for sale. He said just name a price, I replied, if I name a price and you say sold, I'm then forced to sell her and she is not for sale. She whelped her first litter this past summer and they are showing me I made the right decision to keep her. Not only a great hound herself, she's also showing she's a producer as well.

I just sold a 1 year old female last month for what I thought was a steal but I'm sure many on here would have thought :oops:
I told the buyer last week if he wasn't happy with her to bring her back, he declined. :cool:

I've sold several running hounds over the years for what I felt they were worth and the hounds prove to be as advertised.
I've also given pups and running hounds free of charge to teenagers (with their parents permission), it is very rewarding to see them get bit by the beagle running/rabbit hunting bug.

· Registered
2,637 Posts
There are some really nice all around solid dogs out there and not a few. Many people never see or know of them as they don't move in those circles.

Top notch as good as they get dogs are usually never seen on sites like this as the dogs or the owners \ breeders of the dogs and their accomplishments are well known in certain circles so the hounds never make it to the general public before it is gone.

To be honest the general public doesn't usually have the need for a hound of this calibur anyway as a good solid $400-$1500 hound can more than do the job most need done well enough.

It would shock some folks to know what a Real Deal Rabbit dog goes for. In the Deep South it is way more than a FC trial dog. A rabbit hunter needs and requires a whole lot more than just a nice running dog. That is only the start.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts