Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dogs are crawling with ticks. I give ivomec monthly and I always heard that kept ticks away. I never really had a problem until now. I wonder is if I got some bad Ivomec? Does anybody use cattle tags? I have some laying around left over from my cows I could use.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Woodleaf,
I don't know about them Il. tickets but ivomec does not work on Alabama ticks.
I wash my dogs with an over the counter flea and tick soap every 14 days and add a cap full of bleach to the bath water

Since I started this I have not had a tick problem. I also rub my dogs down with sulfer cream 1 time a month.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
I rub a little 7 dust into my dogs coats. After a couple of days the ticks that are on them look like they have been dehydrated. Doesn't seem to affect the dogs at all.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Dip

Happy Jack Dip II is a good product. (Big Bottle) It makes about 33 gal. I add one pound of table salt and a bottle that the dip came in of kerosene. I have used this recipe for years. I got it from a friend which has since passed on. It works up to 30 days against ticks, fleas and mosqitose. I don't use it more than every 2 weeks. Just made a batch 4 days ago and dipped them all! LOL I have a buddy that thinks a lot of the insecticide cattle ear tags! He just folds them over around the collar and pierce back though the tag. He says it cost less than a dollar per dog??

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I put cattle tags on my dogs about a month ago and havent found the first tick or flea (knock on wood). I wanted the purple ones but they were out so I got the orange ones and they seem to be working great.

Before that I had good luck with Frontline. Buy the one for the biggest dog and draw it out with a syringe so you can split it up for beagles.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I use a Frontline type product that you put between the shoulders and root of the tail. It works great for my dogs and there aren't any ticks or fleas.

Roger

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lasr summer I used the purple ear tags and didnt have trouble. So far this year I have just been spraying them with the Adams spray when I m through running but ticks seem to be real bad this year.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went ahead and used the purple python tags. I thought I had some for by cows but couldnt find them. I bought a bag of 20 tags for $30 a which is $1.50 per dog. They shold be good for 3 months. The dogs were tick free after a day of running so it looks like its working. Great price and great results plus easy to work with. A+ rating so far. Thanks for the other tips. I may try them later.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Call me dumb,(Not now RKW), but I ain't never messed with a cow tag, how do you attach them to your dogs? and do they not get tangled on stuff?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Roger would probably follow the directions on the box and punch them thru the ear! I use S-clips and attached to the d-ring on their collar. Some people use cable ties and some others cut slits in the tag and thread the collar thru the slits. I have used them for years and believe they help on flies, skeeters and ticks. I have used the Bayers and the Y-tex and prefer the purple phyton by Y-Tex. Prolate Lindox is very good as a dip. I started using it when they took Lindane off the market years ago. I use Bayer Tree and Shrub as a drench around the kennels and that will solve flea problems.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I leave em on all the time.

Ive had a couple come off for some reason but I just put another one on when it happens.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts