Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I was wondering how everyone was putting the tags on
I learned from Mitch Evans on here. You cut the tags by rounding off the top section then cutting what is left in half. Then punch 2 small holes in each end and use 4 inch zip ties to attach it to the collar. I use chain collars, so I attach the tags under the nameplates. I have a couple of puppies who like to chew each other’s tags off, but the older hounds leave them alone. The tags are tough enough to withstand briars, etc fairly well. I don’t know how safe they are for the hounds, but I have not seen any adverse effects from using them, and they certainly keep the ticks off. I think it’s important to keep your hounds from getting Lyme disease.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
(BRAVECTO) for me. It’s a game changer. You’ll forget all about the spray’s , the ear tags and all the rest. Checking for ear mites or fleas and all that stuff. Get to spend more time in the field running because you don’t have to spray down check ears .
How expensive and how does it work?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
How expensive and how does it work?
It’s $55.43 for large capsule. That will treat 4 beagles. Give it to them 1 time and they are good for 3 months. That brings the price to $4.62 a month per dog. But it will kill mange mites, ear mites, ticks . I can’t explain or really tell ya how it works other than it’s time release and stays in their system for 90 days. Another thing I like about it. Is it kills the ticks. Instead of just rid them off your dogs. So when you release your hounds in your favorite running spots your killing back the ticks there .

·
Registered
81 Posts
(BRAVECTO) for me. It’s a game changer. You’ll forget all about the spray’s , the ear tags and all the rest. Checking for ear mites or fleas and all that stuff. Get to spend more time in the field running because you don’t have to spray down check ears .
Same for me. Money well spent. Like you said, if you do find a tick on the dog and it’s latched on, it’s dead as a hammer. Don’t remember what brand it was, but I made the mistake of using a type of thing that attached to the collar. Within an hour my one dog (out of 4 total) had his eyes swelled up . Had a bad reaction to it. He literally couldn’t see your hand in front of his face. I trashed em all and switched to bravecto. Not knocking anyone else’s methods, just my preference.

and don’t forget about yourselves, fellers. I never took ticks seriously till I got Lyme. Symptoms were so bad (and varying), that I spent 2 weeks wondering if I had cancer, bout to have heart failure, aneurism, etc. it SUCKED. Now I use permethrin spray from my hat to my boots

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I leave my tags on for a year or more. I figure my cost using the tags is about $1 per hound per year. No ticks, no fleas, no mites. Can’t beat that. The only issue is getting younger hounds to leave them alone - they chew off each other’s tags.

As for us humans, the having the Insect Shield company in NC treat your hunting clothing is the best thing I have found. I have not had a tick bite me while hunting since I had them treat my hunting pants last summer.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It’s $55.43 for large capsule. That will treat 4 beagles. Give it to them 1 time and they are good for 3 months. That brings the price to $4.62 a month per dog. But it will kill mange mites, ear mites, ticks . I can’t explain or really tell ya how it works other than it’s time release and stays in their system for 90 days. Another thing I like about it. Is it kills the ticks. Instead of just rid them off your dogs. So when you release your hounds in your favorite running spots your killing back the ticks there .
Can’t bet that with all around health prevention to go along with it..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts