Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get a female pup soon, and hopefully get into some trials. A guy somewhat near me has a litter that will be ready at the end of May. He is asking $400 a piece for females. I was wondering ya'lls thoughts on the cross they are from.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of foot in those pedigrees. What federation are you planning on trialing in? I would suggest Midwest or Midsouth if you get a pup from that litter.
I honestly don't know yet. I've been looking at the various formats and registries, not sure which I'd prefer. My understanding is that an AKC dog can be cross registered with any of the other registries to compete as well.
I know my current beagle is a grade dog, and while I love him, he's slow as molasses. He's getting older too and is lyme positive. He has good days, and bad ones. He's been a good first dog. I'm not trying to discredit him, but I know he doesn't have the foot to hang in there. I've wanted a second beagle for years, and I'm finally in a position to have another.
I used to have some friends to run dogs with and loved it. I've thought about trialing as a way to find some people to go with, or atleast to be around like minded people every now and then.
I'm located in WV, so probably whatever events is the closest is how I'll start out.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
A lot of speed goes back to Schnapps, and Branko, and Lake Ogemaw Blood were fast dogs that ran in Large Pack and the Mid-West Federation. I knew who owned the Ogemaw blood, Branko are good dogs. I had a female and she ran cottontails very nicely as well as Snow shoe Hare. You should check into what you want to run for speed then make a decision.
The pups should turn out, go watch the male and female run and be critical with out saying it out loud. JMHO

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I don’t know a whole lot about pedigrees but I do know I bet these won’t be slow as molasses.
I agree with TJ if trialing is your goal go to some in your area and watch different dogs till you find the ones that suit you

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
That’s a good little ways from me. I’m in Wood county. There are some others on here from WV though.

·
Registered
793 Posts
A pup from that pedigree is going to be well above medium speed, possibly very fast. I don't know what type of trials you have in your area but a dog with that pedigree would have to be run in something that promotes a faster dog like ARHA LP, AKC Midwest, or some of the UKC competitions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A lot of speed goes back to Schnapps, and Branko, and Lake Ogemaw Blood were fast dogs that ran in Large Pack and the Mid-West Federation. I knew who owned the Ogemaw blood, Branko are good dogs. I had a female and she ran cottontails very nicely as well as Snow shoe Hare. You should check into what you want to run for speed then make a decision.
The pups should turn out, go watch the male and female run and be critical with out saying it out loud. JMHO
My no

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A pup from that pedigree is going to be well above medium speed, possibly very fast. I don't know what type of trials you have in your area but a dog with that pedigree would have to be run in something that promotes a faster dog like ARHA LP, AKC Midwest, or some of the UKC competitions.
As far as I know, the only ARHA hunts in WV are little pack hunts. I haven't done much research into AKC trials yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts