Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning out pens, feeding, etc. and decided to turn three dogs out right beside my house and let em run for awhile.

It took em about 10 minutes or so but all of a sudden one opened then a few seconds later the other two joined in and it was on.

I kept on doing what I was doing and listened for about 20 minutes or so and kept thinking that they were flat smokin' that rabbit. I mean not one single breakdown. I thought the conditions might be pretty good but I didnt realize theyd be that good.

I couldnt stand it anymore so I got on my 4 wheeler and went to try and watch em a little bit. It was thick as a jungle but every now and then youd catch a glimpse of em. One dog in the front one time and another running the front next time you saw em. I was eatin' it up.

All of a sudden they came to a fence and I saw the grass move nearby and turned my head to get a glimpse of him when he ran back across the trail.

It was a :censored: house cat. :smack:

Ruined everything for me and caused severe discomfort for the dogs...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
FB, James Murphy told me one of the best races he ever heard was a house cat. I don't remember if it was his dogs or someone elses that was running the cat.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was almost envious of you and then you had to go and ruin a good race by mentioning they were on a housecat LOL!!!

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I may be the only other guy on here that has ever had a house cat race, but my dogs could smoke one to. That is until they got a call from tri-tronics

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe not a housecat but :censored: 'tree rats'. For some reason these little rodents are fair game right now. I'm sure it's because of out-and-out bordum. Can't seem to roust many c.tails (did have one that my beagle pushed toward me; I tried to stop it from running into a stack of shang pallets); didn't help, the beagle high-tailed it to where the bunny scooted, but got a 'permenent check :banghead: So I have no idea as to when the rabbit becomes more important than a squirrel :headscratch:

·
Registered
908 Posts
The cat race Roger is talking about was actually Joe Magee's pack of 4 big males including 2 litter mates to FC Coleman's Black Bob. This cat was running like a grey fox and refused to climb a tree. Joe wouldn't let us break it up because they were pounding and ran him for over an hour or so. He was making loops all over our running grounds and they were not checking, just steady roaring.

I also had a cousin and some friends that had a place that was a drop off for stray cats and they would run them cats every weekend with their rabbit packs. They would build a fire and run all night (some rabbits but mostly wild house cats) just like the foxhunters.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Same thing happened to me about a month ago just loveing the race then pops out the house cat they got a taste of the sock collar that day

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
FB, James Murphy told me one of the best races he ever heard was a house cat. I don't remember if it was his dogs or someone elses that was running the cat.
I bet it was mine. :banghead: My neighbor hasn't thought much of me ever since that day.:thumb:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine has ran a house cat too. It had me fooled the way it was running. I would not of believe it until I saw it. Next time they should think twice.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
FB,
Bring em to the house. I am trying to catch a cat that's walkng on my truck.

If you will run them pups after dark and never leave your 4 wheeler you can hear some good " rabbit " races

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The best is when u hunt in a semi populated area an that cat decides to run back home an takes a full pack under the house. I can't tell you how many times the sheriffs department came out to our hunts.

·
Registered
783 Posts
When I first married my wife Booger Red we lived in town in Slidell La. I used to go down to the vacant lot by the woods where people dropped off their stray cats. I used to start all my pups on house cats. Once they started running them good which didn't take long I brought them to the woods and put em on rabbits where there was no cats. Pups started quick. Worked GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch Huguet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts