The Ghost Hound (Full Cry)

Discussion in 'The Tailgate' started by Michael Gerace, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:43 AM.

1. Michael Gerace

Michael Gerace Well-Known Member

Do any of you remember the story of the Ghost Hound in Full Cry magazine. It was written quite a few years ago. I've tried to find it again but haven't had any luck.

2. LtELmer

LtELmer Well-Known Member

3. Robster

Robster Active Member

[email protected] and Circle4p like this.
  4. Michael Gerace

5. Robster

Robster Active Member

Let me know if it's the story you were looking for.

It's a great story, about lion hunting in the AZ desert. (being vague so no spoiler alerts for anyone that may want to read it.)

6. Michael Gerace

I do believe it is ! I signed up to be notified at the link you gave me. It's out of stock right now.

7. Robster

Robster Active Member

If you want to read the book, PM me your address. I'll send it to you and when you are done, just send it back.

8. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    Robster those are good stories. I have experienced some of them in Az. Still have friends that run lion/ Bear hunting operations in Az and NM along with Elk, antelope, mule deer, coues deer. If you have ever chased hounds through the snow covered mountains there is nothing like it. A once in a lifetime experience

9. Robster

Robster Active Member

TJRANGER, I hunted lion three times on horseback with hounds. Chris Todd was the guide that I hunted with. All three were the trip of a lifetime with the last being the best as my son was with me. 20 miles a day for 5 days each trip on horseback through some of the most beautiful desert country this upstate New Yorker has ever dreamed existed. First time was Bloody Basin, the next two were all in NW AZ near Kingman and the Jualapai Mountains. I am currently looking to move out west with my horses and spend my days dry ground hunting for bobcat or lion. I don't care if I ever harvest/kill one, just live the lifestyle. In the last 5 years, I have taken one cottontrail and one hare. I run every weekend. no desire to take one. When people ask me why I don't shoot(I always have my gun with me) I just tell them.......dead rabbits/hare don't leave tracks. I'm in it for the hounds. I let my hunting companions(if i actually hunt with someone else) shoot.

10. TJRANGER

TJRANGER Super Moderator Staff Member

Arkansas
    Nothin like it. I always enjoy those opportunities

11. Robert L. Dunn

Robert L. Dunn Well-Known Member

Sounds like we might need to start a book club. I like the mystery books. I probably have 15 or 20 James Patterson novels, mostly all hard backs. They are just collecting dust. Just an idea, but what if we brought them to the 2021 hunt and let those serious readers take their choice. A new James Patterson novel sells for about $22. My wife has those lady oriented love story books. We could pass them around each year. What do you think??

12. Robster

Robster Active Member

Dibs on the ladies romance novels ;)

Seriously, I do read a lot. Not a fan of TV and definitely not a fan of the news lately. I've put together a nice library of topics I enjoy readingy. I usually read a lot of hunting(hound hunting) and westerns. One of my favorites is "Hell, I Was There" by Elmer Keith

13. Circle4p

Circle4p Well-Known Member

Alabama
    I’ve got all the Louis Lamar and like Johnston also

KyBrushBuster, Robster and TJRANGER like this.
  14. Robster

Robster Active Member

Louis L'amour is my favorite western writer.

15. Robert L. Dunn

Robert L. Dunn Well-Known Member

The is something magnetic about the old west and western books. A part of the Navy working uniforms always seemed to be a western book in the back pocket of the denims.

16. KyBrushBuster

KyBrushBuster Well-Known Member

The Daybreakers by Louis L'amour is right up there with Lonesome Dove as my all time favorite western followed closely by The Snowy Range Gang (Mike Blakely).

Circle4p, TJRANGER and Curnel like this.
  17. Grizzly creek beagles

Grizzly creek beagles Well-Known Member

I wrote a lot of book reports using Louis L’Amour books throughout my school years. My dad had a whole collection of them. His books were some of my favorite reading when I was younger

Circle4p, TJRANGER and KyBrushBuster like this.
  18. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

SE Ohio
    Here are some good western hound hunting books I would recommend:

Slash Ranch Hounds by Dub Evans
    Lion Tales by Jonathon Kibler
    Call of the Hounds by Del Cameron
    General Red by O.A. Washburn
    The Longwalkers by Jerry A. Lewis
    Silent Crossings by Jerry A. Lewis
    Ben Lilly’s Tales by Neil Carmony
    Hound Dogs, Bears and Bobcats by Carl T. Johnson
    Meet Mr Grizzly by Montague Stevens

Also may like
    Stories of Old Traveler by B.S. Jones (Florida bobcat hunting)

And on YouTube, check out Brett Vaughn in New Mexico hunting lions with his hounds.....his channel is called “Born 100 Years Too Late”.

19. Running La. biares

Running La. biares Well-Known Member

Robster, “Hell,I Was There” by Elmer is a Great book
    I was 14 years old when I read it and loved it it’s a favorite for me to

20. Robster

Robster Active Member

Running La. Try buying a copy now. The price of it has gone through the roof!!! I just sent my copy to my son in Wyoming to read. He's loving the book just like his old man!!

Huntsman, Great book list I own 7 of those books already! Thanks for the other recommendations, I will add them to my "to buy" list. I'll try to post a pic of my library later. And as for Brett Vaughn, I have been following him on Youtube for years. Actually, I am one of his Patreon supporters.

Chasin' Tail has a pretty good video out as well