Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I run my 6mo old pup dang near everyday behind my house and he has had a few good chases, he has just started to find his wheels and has pushed a few rabbits in a couple circles, well last week he had a good chase right at dark and chased him into the neighbors corn field. watching the gps he went out about 150 yards before chasing the rabbit back towards me, got about 30 yards away and lost the trail but I was pretty darn proud of him as it was the farthest he has chased one yet. 2 days later he pushes another one in there for a great sight chase and brought him back out towards me and lost him in a big knarl of thick stuff. fast forward to this week and now he associates that corn field with rabbits and will run up and down that field looking for em and I have had to hike through that corn and drag him back out the last 2 times ive ran him. He listens great when at the house and knows the COME command but soon as he starts hunting he ignores me if he is farther than 10 yards away. I have a astro so i can track but not shock and i plan on buying one real soon to have that feature but what else can I do to drive home the COME command? tramping through a wet cornfield to grab him aint too fun. I bought a whistle and started using that when calling him but it doesnt seem to help yet.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Get the tone shock collar with a 2 mile range. Plus start doing some in the yard training having him coming to you. You can put him on a light weight cord that has a snap on it. When you go to run stay away from the corn field and get a rabbit going in the brush, etc. leave about 5-8 feet of the cord so if he comes and try’s to skirt you, you can run up and step on the cord.
Have patience with him as this is all new to him and you. I always make sure my dogs hunt with me not me hunting for them. He’s a BABY exploring and loving what he is bred to do. Break him to check in and come when you call. It’s repetition, repetition, and repetition with his training. JMHO

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Others may not agree , but with a young pup sometimes when I see the rabbit I will call the pup to me and put it on the track. The way I see it is the pup will associate me calling to something good is going to happen , not just get called and then taken back to the pen. It only takes a few times of this, it can be done too much .

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Hey mattdog we all do what works for us. What ever works works!

Lots of great advise on here and lots of ways to skin a cat and they all work.

Foxxy gave you some great outstanding proven advise which will probably help you the most where you live and run.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Garrett, I think you would have better results with this pup if you would put him in the truck and start running him other places. I think you would find he listens better elsewhere because he has to depend a little more on you for guidance. He has decided at home he can find rabbits without you, and you are only there to end his fun, so you really can’t blame him for not listening. If you take him away from home to run, you should be able to start developing a teamwork bond with him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This all sounds like great advice, thanks a bunch. Still have a bunch of work to do with him but i'm lovin every minute of it, even when things dont go as planned. My uncle who i got the pup from came over and watched him run and says i'm way ahead of the game so far with how young he is, and he is impressed so far, so i must be doing something right. I do think when tommorrow ill go run him on some state land nearby. love this site so far guys, keep up the good advice!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
My son and I were discussing tracking collars today. I have never used them, only shock collars to train my hounds with. Now that he has the hounds and I am financing the cost, he want's to by tracking collars. We have a nice set of shock collars. Do we need tracking collars as well. If we get them do we need the shock collars? Will someone who knows please advise me on this?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Mr. Dunn keep your shocking collars, you can use them on pups or kennel barkers.
Tracking, training collars I would get the Garmin 200, I bought a 3 dog system and I love it.
If you buy 2 training, shock collars, you can still use your older shock collars on other dogs when running or hunting.
Others will have their ideas as well. JMHO

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mr. Dunn the tracking collars are nice, but did you make it before without them? You can buy track and train collars like the Alphas or just tracking collars. To each his own, I have an Alpha system and really like it, but had just plain old shocking collars for 20 years and did just fine.

·
Super Moderator
3,646 Posts
I would not put him on another rabbit until you do some ground work at home. Use you e-collars and a long check cord on him and teach "come" and "Down". You will never be able to call him off a rabbit, but if he ain't running he should be trained to come when called, and be caught when he comes in.

·
Super Moderator
3,646 Posts
My son and I were discussing tracking collars today. I have never used them, only shock collars to train my hounds with. Now that he has the hounds and I am financing the cost, he want's to by tracking collars. We have a nice set of shock collars. Do we need tracking collars as well. If we get them do we need the shock collars? Will someone who knows please advise me on this?
I have both now, I have a Sportdog Tek 1.5 it tells me where they are and what direction they are going, how many yards. No topo or anything fancy. I run in KS so its a road every mile, flat land, or around a lake. I also don't need all the Gee Wiz stuff. I dont care how many miles or how fast they ran. Its neat to know but not worth the extra couple hundo to get it.
I didn't need or wouldn't use the GPS if I was still healthy because I was always around my hounds. Now with my health I need to know where they are, and when called if they are coming in.

All this opinion is based on running flat KS ground, on cottontail rabbit. Im sure different terrain and hare would be different.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have both now, I have a Sportdog Tek 1.5 it tells me where they are and what direction they are going, how many yards. No topo or anything fancy. I run in KS so its a road every mile, flat land, or around a lake. I also don't need all the Gee Wiz stuff. I dont care how many miles or how fast they ran. Its neat to know but not worth the extra couple hundo to get it.
I didn't need or wouldn't use the GPS if I was still healthy because I was always around my hounds. Now with my health I need to know where they are, and when called if they are coming in.

All this opinion is based on running flat KS ground, on cottontail rabbit. Im sure different terrain and hare would be different.
Spini Do you run both collars at the same time

·
Super Moderator
3,646 Posts
Spini Do you run both collars at the same time
No.
My one system is track/train so it does both.
I usually use my old SD 3225 when hunting, we are around the hounds and don't need gps then.
When just running/ working the hounds I use my TEK system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts