Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost took them to the pound today they ran so bad . The first run , Jack jumped right behind the garage . He was running it more like a cold trail , Tank not giving much mouth . They ended up going over 200 yards , I was thinking deer . Then they got it hotter , I had the alpha ready for some correction . Then they checked and whatever it was jumped up in front of Tank . I was still thinking deer , because I heard something get up and wasn’t sure if it was the dogs . Then it crossed to make a circle . I relaxed a little bit , then it came back on the circle and crossed within 6 feet of me and I didn’t see it , or hear it , so I am pretty sure it’s not a deer now . Then it makes a 45 and goes straight over 200 yards again to the property line . I toned them back then because of all the deer hunting . I still don’t think it was a rabbit by how they were running and their mouth , maybe a cat .

I walk them to the other end of my property , Jack is cold trailing , I was about ready to shoot him , if I would of had a shotgun . Then he jumps about 200 yards away , but I don’t think it is what he was cold trailing . I saw the rabbit this time . Tank would over run the track every time that the rabbit came out of the woods onto the path where I could see it . Jack was having a hard time picking up the track . There was no excuse for it that I can see . The ground had moisture on it . I am about ready to send these two hounds down the road and quit wasting my time on dogs that lack ability to run a rabbit down a straight path on damp ground . I am not going to run them again until Sunday , maybe I will be over this day by then . I have always questioned Jack’s line control and ability to run the line and Tanks is much worse than him . I think 3 years is enough patience with Jack and I see worst in Tank , to not make me want to waste 3 years on him . My nephew called me just now and is heading up here with his dogs . They aren’t much , if any better . I told him that I don’t even feel like running anymore today , after this morning .

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cooked that rabbit tonight for supper , with some green beans , sausage & rice casserole and some onion gravy . It might not look good in the picture , but boy it was good . I ate the whole rabbit . It was the best thing that I have ate in a long time . I fried it in my cast iron pan . I got a crust on both sides and then turned down the heat and kept tuning it until a fork would go in it easy .
Dishware Art Ingredient Wood Font

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The same here for most of the day. It's been a long time since I had good running. They ran but had a lot of checks. Then I ran one in the swamp along side a creek. I had to tone them off when it was time to go. Unfortunately one of my pups, six months old, disappeared. I had a collar on her but I couldn't make her yelp. I suspect she either was caught by a coyote, maybe killed by a bow hunter hunting deer, or had a seizure and left the area. I'll check back in the morning and see if she can be found.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I backed up last Wednesday’s bad run with another bad run today . We had a good rain Sunday , so the ground was nice and moist . Jack jumped and they left on a straight line for 245 yards before they checked . They never picked the check back up . They were working the check like they were wild , all over the place , like one didn’t want the other one to get it first . Tank has a bad habit of taking off as fast as he can when he smells something and over runs the track . I popped him today before this jump for doing that . I told my nephew what I was planning to do with them and he said that he would take Tank back . I might take him back over his house next week when I keep the kids and then run Jack without him and see if he improves before he gets a new address .
Plant Wood Tree Communication Device Gadget

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m thinking now that it is not even a rabbit that they are running and maybe the reason for 2 back to back terrible straight line runs with a check . I don’t think a deer , or a fox , because I think they would run them better . Maybe a house cat or a bobcat . These last two runs were in different areas , but close . The runs went in different directions from each other .

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Jack jumped and they left on a straight line for 245 yards before they checked . They never picked the check back up . They were working the check like they were wild , all over the place , like one didn’t want the other one to get it first . Tank has a bad habit of taking off as fast as he can when he smells something and over runs the track . I popped him today before this jump for doing that .
Marshall,

I think your right. I have had newly started pups get on a house cat look like that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Seems you might want to think back to when you were posting about the good progress the dogs were making earlier you should not forget how they were in the past as I stated before don't make a judgement to fast this time of the year as you are not the only one with problems with dogs right now others I know are having terrible runs also be patient and give the weather a chance to improve

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Slow Dogs, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you, this is the time of year a rabbit hound has to be able to excel, after all its rabbit season now, if they can run in July and August that’s a bonus, but we feed they all year for this time of year, if they can’t run in Nov, Dec, Jan & Feb they aren’t much use to a rabbit hunter, now that being said we all have rough days now and than but we better have a lot more good than bad, As Foxxy would say JMHO

·
Registered
266 Posts
Slow Dogs, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you, this is the time of year a rabbit hound has to be able to excel, after all its rabbit season now, if they can run in July and August that’s a bonus, but we feed they all year for this time of year, if they can’t run in Nov, Dec, Jan & Feb they aren’t much use to a rabbit hunter, now that being said we all have rough days now and than but we better have a lot more good than bad, As Foxxy would say JMHO
I can agree for the most part but I have seen some terrible scenting days this time of the year also seen some give up on their hounds only to try and buy them back after seeing them run when the scenting improves

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey they all run rabbits from time to time but I promise you they ain't all good by a long shot. Consistency is what separates the good from the bad over here.

I fire dogs get rid of them until I get a work force that can do it when and how I want it done....after all I am paying them.

My boss does the same thing with me at work.

I do the same the same thing with folks that work for me too. Why not my K9 employees?

I am careful to only fall in love with the good ones. Until we are married we are only dating.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts