Rabbit Dogs banner

Teaching dog down comand

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Foxxy 
#1 ·
What easiest way to teach dog down command so easier to catch off rabbit at a trial.

#2 ·
Gump this is how I do it! I’ve even taught this on an older dog I’d buy but seems to take longer than a pup. I teach my beagles just like my bird dogs. First I get them used to lead then I teach heel with the lead by holding lead fairly tight by right side and saying heal and tapping them on the nose with loose end of lead until they get it. When they do I stop and say whoa and down and praise them and give a treat. I do this until they follow with a loose lead then progress to a 25’ check cord doing the same thing. After they react correctly on Check cord I turn them loose inside fenced yard and proceeded with training. They seem to catch on pretty quick. After they reply to my commands satisfactory to me in fenced yard I take them out to field and replicate training seguence . This is how I have trained for 50 plus years and works for me. I’m sure there is better and faster ways.

#6 · (Edited)
Every time they come to you in the yard or in the wild, tell them down and walk to them. Tell them good dog and proceed on hunting. With repetition and doing it with out fear to the dog they learn quickly. I don't like to do it, but at times I down my dogs when they are running a rabbit and I have to leave. All responses that are above mine are very good examples.
JMO

#7 ·
I think if you want to start as a puppy a little dog treat will help reinforce the behavior. I think the biggest thing is saying the command in a firm voice but not a scalding voice. So they see it as a handling command and not “ I’m about to get my @$$ whipped command”.
But of course when you put them in a trial and there are 4-7 other dogs running around it can get crazy. So I would definitely perfect it at home and even with other dogs in the yard. So it’s more like what they will experience in a trial. Just my opinion.

#9 ·
The quickest way, not necessarily the most humane. Put a long small rope on the collar. When the dog starts to run, hollar "DOWN" and give a yank on the rope.
Its amazing how quickly they will learn to obey.
That also helps stop them in the field. If you are as close as the length of the rope, and you hollar down, they will drop to the ground.
I used that method regularly before I owned a "shock collar".
Tone, or shock on level 1, on a training collar, in conjunction with the down command, would probably work as well.

#10 ·
Some dogs won't when running a rabbit, you just have to grab them or put a little juice to them. The desire and effort of those dogs is awesome but its upsetting when you need to leave the woods lol.
Like mentioned before all of mine learn as they go. I only work on the down command as they jump all over me before i put their food bowls down. I have 7 children that get jumped on too so they teach down as well 😂I train my dogs to come in to the tone button..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.