Summertime Dogfood

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by dbounds, Mar 30, 2010.

1. dbounds

dbounds Active Member

Put my dogs back on Purina Dogchow today. I just don't like feeding them the high protien, high fat during the summer months. Would love some feedback on this subject!

2. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

Keep mine on purina year around. Just feed a little extra when its really cold, or run them extra hard

3. rosco

rosco New Member

We run hard year round and don't change our food.
    It takes all we can do to keep weight on them

4. deltadog

deltadog New Member

I used to swith from 24/20 Hi-Tek to Dog Chow but since I cant get Dog Chow in the 50lbs bags any more and there price went up I just feed the 24/20 year round but keep the food regulated. I cut back from about 2cups to 1cup.

5. Beagler282

Beagler282 Active Member

GA
    I feed 24/20 year round and cut back the amount in the summer time.The only time i feed a higher protein is to my pups.Once they reach 1 yr of age they go on the 24/20.Older dogs don't need a high protein they just need a high fat to give them energy.

6. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

Keep my beagles on Dog Chow year round Since I am not trialing any of them anymore. If I get another one to trial then they will get Purina Pro Plan Performance.

My Am. Bulldog and one of the Labs gets Purina One and the other Lab gets Purina Pro Plan Selects (no Corn).

7. I feed purina one all year. I adjust the amount from summer/winter. Usally 2 cups in winter and 1 cup in summer.