Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in Alabama. We have a lot of rattlesnakes, copperheads, and Moccasins where I’m at. It’s bad hot and humid usually down here. I ran my dogs this spring but here lately I’m on pins and needles every time out to the point it isn’t as enjoyable.I almost lost one to a heat stroke (I believe) last year but luckily I got him cooled off and he pulled through without any issues. I’ve only got two young dogs and the older one is a good bit slower to the point he’s usually 100+ yds behind a few minutes into the race . So it would hurt to loose one of the two young dogs before this season. So my question is would they go backwards as far as the progress we’ve made over the past few months if I didn’t run them for a couple of months?I’m not as concerned with the physical aspect of it as I can cut their feed and get them back in shape this late September/early October. Just don’t want them to go backwards on me as far as their mentality of how to jump/run a rabbit if that makes sense. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,516 Posts
The health of the dog is most important. No if they are started good you should be OK. All my pups always seem to just get started right as the heat and humidity of summer hits. Then they get laid up for a month or two. When the heat breaks, they may start slow but it doesn't take long and they are running good.

·
Super Moderator
6,754 Posts
Agree with Spini. I wish I could run in summer but to many snakes , ticks, chiggers, and heat issues. Not worth the risk for me. As Spini said when cools off takes them a couple weeks and they are going good again.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Laying them up for some time should have no problems for the dogs, I agree with Spini and TJ, once you get them out they will take off, they will be doing what they bred for running the bunnies. JMHO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. We had racoon dogs get bit back when we coonhunted and they always pulled through but I’m afraid with the size of beagles a big rattler would kill them

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have to avoid my main running grounds June thru end of Sept. (timberrattlers) big ones and plenty of them. I have got a friend 3 hrs. Away in N.C. Lives in an area with no snake problem and he is running 3 derby’s for me at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I say this sometimes , a young dog or older dog they don’t forget how to run rabbit once they get a season under their belts it’s forever etched in their brains they are hardwired for life , sitting a dog out for few month does NOT ruin a dog although it may be a little out of shape but nothing a few weeks of good running can’t cure just right before the season opener . Like someone mention above in another comment “the health of a dog is the most important” so very true that’s the best statement giving …

I myself been sitting on sideline a little lately haven’t been running much due to work and other stuff is cutting into my running time, in the afternoons are just to hot upper high 80’s and 90’s too hot for a dog to put on good running your asking for a heat stroke which isn’t good to push a dog beyond it limits like that on hot day… take care of your dogs , they will take care of you year after year don’t worry so much about “run time” especially during hot humid months … I have a saying of my own as well “you can put the hunt into a dog training it good as a pup to the time it matures and gets a season under it’s belt , but you can’t ever fully take the hunt out of dog it will be like that for rest of it’s life”

·
Registered
651 Posts
I’ve only got two young dogs and the older one is a good bit slower to the point he’s usually 100+ yds behind a few minutes into the race
How old is this dog ? Was he always like that ? Slow ? If he’s not really old you notice he slowing down even during actually killing season when it’s cooler out , he may have health problems you might want have him checked out , another member on here just lost a dog he noticed was slowing down a little I’m not sure if he said vet assumed his dog had liver issues or what why the dog died suddenly while he was out running

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is seven. I used him to help my pups out when they were started. I don’t think he’s slowed down since I’ve had him I’ve only had him 5 months or so. He’s just a slower bred dog. Really need to find someone that could use him but I don’t like to leave him sitting at the house when I’m going running

·
Registered
86 Posts
He is seven. I used him to help my pups out when they were started. I don’t think he’s slowed down since I’ve had him I’ve only had him 5 months or so. He’s just a slower bred dog. Really need to find someone that could use him but I don’t like to leave him sitting at the house when I’m going running
how slow is he I might be interested

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’d say medium. That’s what the guy I bought him from told me he was. These are my first rabbit dogs so I don’t know much about what people call slow/medium,fast. He seemed decent this past winter/spring as far as capabilitiy

·
Registered
651 Posts
I’d say medium. That’s what the guy I bought him from told me he was. These are my first rabbit dogs so I don’t know much about what people call slow/medium,fast. He seemed decent this past winter/spring as far as capabilitiy
You might have make a decision you got 2 young dogs that are faster type of speed compared to your other older dog , some guys would cut their loss sell off the slower dog to someone else who runs slower type of hound to keep their pack up to speed sounds like you got some “upper medium speed dogs” the older dogs is probably barely “medium speed” nothing wrong with that just sometimes faster dogs and slower dogs don’t run too well together , but some guys are a little more picky when trying to form a pack that run good and smooth like a train they prefer to have them all close to the same speed … Me I prefer barely “medium style” speed like your older dog you have they keep a steady pressure on rabbit , keep rabbit rolling along without going in the hole so fast and an easier hound for me to keep up with as well when we are moving through the brush … But if your just out to have fun , No big deal just enjoy what you have and kill some rabbits over them

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are correct I’ve already made my decision. I’m keeping the two young dogs and going to sell the slower one. The speeds just don’t match up. I wouldn’t say they are speed demons but they do move pretty quick in good conditions. Sometimes like if it’s a cold frosty morning all three will be pretty close on the line. But if it’s 35-70 degrees with moisture they will leave him pretty far behind. What I really need is another dog around their speed. These two aren’t so fast that it causes breakdowns like a lot of the videos I’ve seen online and talked about on here. They may actually be pretty normal speed. They run as clean of a line as the older dog, just a few steps quicker. I raised my two young ones and started them by myself on wild rabbits. They both have a lot of hunt. One especially, he jumps the majority of the rabbits.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Seems like you’re beginning to build a nice pack ! Gotta love a good jump dog they take out all hard work make it look it so easy . Far too few in between good jump dogs are the cream of the crop in a good pack. Hardest thing sometimes is cutting a dog out of a pack and selling it off , I’m guilty of it I’ve kept slower dogs in the past that I should of cut my loss and save myself the hassle but I kept them they always lagged behind from other dogs . Especially if you have a lot good season under an older dog throw some younger faster dogs in pack it just isn’t working out to well hard to make the decisions. It gets harder to give that Ol’boy away to another home again we have to look at them as a working dog for a purpose I always hated that part when it came to decisions and buying new pups never know how fast these pups and younger dogs will be sometimes

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a few phone conversations with this young man and and He only lives about 15 miles from me He brought me the slow dog today for a trail and I believe he will run with my dogs I will try to run him later this week also will try to help him find a dog that fits his style dogs better and help get in my beagle club he is a very nice and respectful young man and was very nice to meet him

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Perfect Slow Dogs, get him into the club, talk about dogs, trialing, hunting and as he accumulates more knowledge have him take the Judging Seminar. Need young guys judging. I hope you can find a dog that will fit in his brace, should be a fun journey to find one. JMHO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts