Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine came over yesterday morning to run. He stopped by about 9oclock needing a shovel. Had a beagle stuck in a groundhog hole. Took us two hours of digging with a maddock and axe to cut all the roots. What a mess! She tried to turn around to come out and got hung up. Had to dig about 4 ft to get to her.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Im glad you were able to find her.

Ive got one thats pretty small and will go in a hole in a heartbeat. I have to watch her pretty close if we're hunting on a levee or something like that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My dad and his friends had an old dog that would do that all of the time. Ol Jack was a legendary dog around here. They say he hardly ever lost a rabbit and if it holed like that, he wouldn't come out if the rabbit didn't come out. They used to carry an army fold up shovel so they could dig out Jack when needed. There used to be more ground hogs around. They are a mess around buildings but they are good for the bunnies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have piles of ginsing pallets (usually several piles side by side. There have been a number of times where I was swetting it out. I could hear my hound somewhere in the piles of pallets, but couldn't tell where :headscratch: It wouldn't be so bad except that when there is a rabbit somewhere in them and he is all excited, it sounds like he's stuck and crying :down: Up till now he's been able to either back his way out, or find a route in the maze to go foreward. If he were to get stuck, I'd have to have the pallet owners move the pallets with their tractor to extract him :banghead: At least when he's crying, I'm reasonably sure that he's on to a rabbit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts