Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what stud out there throws the hardest running dogs? This is primarily blackcreek. If you had a female that you wanted to breed to, but you did not want to by any means slow the pups down, what blackcreek bred stud would be the one?

·
Registered
470 Posts
You need to find one that has Pon Run A Train up close as you can.

Cotton Country Kennel has some of the stronger ones. Mike Russell usually gets all the quicker dogs from Wayne Martin and keeps them at his house. Mike's Kennel name is "Hill Top Kennels". Mike lives in North Ms.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I like what I am seeing out of "close blackcreek" NSPC FC Cotton Country Jack
Also like what I am seeing out of FC Reinke's T-Bone

Also if you can find a blackcreek with some FC Cotton Country Rock

·
Registered
420 Posts
My experience at this point is that the more Cotton Country Black Ace you have in a pedigree the stronger the running gets.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Allthis cotton country stuff is making raise my expectaions of my new little female from fccotton country buck II.
I hope you guys are right.

When its time to bree her I am going to breed her to a male of of Hill Crest Preacher man

·
Registered
470 Posts
Allthis cotton country stuff is making raise my expectaions of my new little female from fccotton country buck II.
I hope you guys are right.

When its time to bree her I am going to breed her to a male of of Hill Crest Preacher man
Why would you not breed her back to a Blackcreek Male ?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Roscoe, I agree I have seen some Hill-Crest stuff I liked to.. I really like the deacon stuff I am seeing at trials also. Terry Nelson has Deacon up at his place which might not be that far from you..

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I wish yall would put some of these in the stud section along with some pictures and pedigrees and where theyre located.

Ive been trying to get some Blackcreeks and hopefully this wont offend anybody but I havent been able to find the foot speed or drive (for lack of a better word) that I like in a dog so far. The ones that Ive owned so far have pretty much always run at the back of my pack and seemed to be content to stay there even though I consider most of mine to be medium to just a touch over medium speedwise.

If all I ran were BC's that would be OK but most of mine are SPO style dogs and they have a little more, I dont know, desire or drive or whatever you call it to em. Im not trying to describe hunt because every BC Ive seen had at least what Id describe as good hunt and theyve all had good line control and worked a check the way I want one to do it for the most part. But I want one that will blow out of a check and has a desire to run the front but get there the right way and I havent owned one of those yet.

I have a female now that I like except for her foot speed and would like to breed her to a BC male that will hopefully throw not only a little more foot but also that little bit extra desire to get up there on or toward the front and do something.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I agree with you FB, I would like to see these on the stud thread myself and since I have a Cocoa Bear female I would like to see that too. Echo Hills recommended one in Georgia and I sure like him but that is a long way to go 602 miles one way. If I had just got home from a job it wouldn't be too bad but I can't go that far right now. I do have a 3/4 Black Creek female that I really like and if I have her bred I would like to see some of these faster hounds myself.

Roger

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a Blackcreek female that should be coming in heat pretty soon and I still have not made my mind up on which Blackcreek male I would like to breed to.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I agree with you FB, I would like to see these on the stud thread myself and since I have a Cocoa Bear female I would like to see that too. Echo Hills recommended one in Georgia and I sure like him but that is a long way to go 602 miles one way. If I had just got home from a job it wouldn't be too bad but I can't go that far right now. I do have a 3/4 Black Creek female that I really like and if I have her bred I would like to see some of these faster hounds myself.

Roger
Rodger,

Take it from me speed is easy to get in and hard to get out.
Be real particular.

If you want some real speed and straight rabbilt dog I have a couple of females and 1 male we may could wheel and deel on.

I need more medium speed , small dogs.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Why would you not breed her back to a Blackcreek Male ?
Bgle
I need a couple more bc females. Maybe even 3 more.
I figure if I breed my own I can start them keep the one I want and sale the rest.

Get 3 good females the bring something else in.

I have plenty of speed dogs right now I need some good spo medium speed , small dogs.

That is the plan anyway. Give me some advice.

I am tring to put together two different types of packs.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Rosco you are right I don't want too much speed just medium to medium plus is fast enough. I want hounds that don't outrun their nose but fast enough to SPO trial if I want too. Are these Black Creek dogs being advertised on this thread extra fast or are they what most hunters are looking for? Thanks for your input.

Roger

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I want to be clear that speed isnt all that Im looking for either. I prefer a medium/upper medium dog. Its hard to put into words but I want one with that little extra something that will make it at least want to run the front but will still slot up.

You know, that "perfect" dog. :smack:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I got a male here at my house out of cotton country looney tunes, that Robbie bred up I would put down with any blackcreek out there as far as running the front.:D

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I find breeding my own & keeping the best is about the only way you`ll get what your looking for cause no one is going to sell you there best or perfect dog lol . And give them time to marure a little be for getten ride of em, FB ya might want ta put a weir creek male on your gyp ta get what ya looken fer

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Rodger,
I am kinda new at this but am starting to get the hang of it.
I am trying to stay with a lot of spo field champ stuff for my trial pack so I can be relatively sure of the speed.

I have found that most people that trial will shoot you straight about there stuff.

If you don't buy it someone else will.

Do not buy anything to you see it or at least its parents run.

Run one of your dogs with it so you can gauge the speed of the prospect.

My extra fast hounds have patch , windsong or satsuma in them. I have and a otis/ windsong cross that seems to run relativey well with both sets.

·
Registered
783 Posts
#1- top notch anything costs LOTS of money wheather you breed them or buy them unless you get real lucky or someone really takes a liking to you.

Many Blackcreek/Skullfork hounds place in SPO and Large pack trials. The same dogs.

I don't know where you guys are getting your Blackcreek/Skullfork hounds but there are many many many that run faster then you wanna go and can roll with large pack hounds. Lots of Blackcreeks are fast speed. Not all but most of the real good stuff is in the Deep, Deep South with folks that don't advertise they run, train and hunt dogs every day or for a living. Many don't give a hoot about a Field Trial. They know what it takes and like what they like and that is what they breed. Most are not in the business of raising to sell anyway and most don't care about the books or fads in trials. Many are old fox hound men.

If you get a cream of the crop hound it is usually because you saw it run or heard about it run somewhere and pulled out a huge wad of money and bought it on the spot. Blackcreek/Skullfork type hounds place and win at the national level on a regular basis. They live all around me. I am surrounded. You need to come to All the Deep South trials you can and take a real good look if you are sure Blackcreek is what you want. If someone that places a hound you like invites you on a hunt go.

It takes time, money and more time and more money and hard work to get what other folks have spent a lifetime to get and usually when you find it it ain't for sale. You will have to wear out several pairs of mule champs and many pairs of boots to find, own and breed top notch hounds of any breed. You also need to know just what you want and be able to recognize it when you see it.

No one is going to drop the best of the best in your lap. When you get a hound from a breeder even if the hound finishes as a FC that man is culling that hound because he has better. Just remember if someone elses cull is better then what you have you better buy it and breed it to the best of the best in that line no matter where you have to go and no matter how much it costs.

People don't sell their very best. They may sell you a good one if you are keen enough to know a good one when you see it but you had better bring you wallet. Folks with top notch hounds that they bred of any kind have spent thousands and thousands of dollars and years and years of their lives to get the good ones the have. You won't get them but if they like you you may get a pup.

Somthing else to take note of not all but almost all Blackcreek/Skullfork hounds that leave South La and South Ms leave because no one wants them down here. They are the Blackcreek/Skullfork culls. Other folks see them and hate em guess what so do we. We culled them. Some love them good you got a better hound then you had. That's just how it is so be damn careful when you start spending your hard earned money and time buying a line of hounds from folks who didn't grow up with this line. You may or may not get what you are looking for.

If you really want good you had better count the cost before you jump in the deep water.
Having really top notch hounds in any bloodline is expensive.

Mitch Huguet

1 - 20 of 51 Posts