Rabbit Dogs banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I was the first in my family to be raised in town,a small town.When we visited relatives it was usually on a farm and I much preferred it to town.When I grew up I worked with horses.Go figure!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Foxxy I now have a great lady and I don't have the stress I had when I was with my last wife. Yeah I know all about how I was the one who married her but believe me things really changed for the worse.

Far as work, well I tell the young guys to never forget that this is just what we do to support what we are.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Jim- once we ended the dairy cattle and hog farm we had show horses, Quarter and Appaloosa's. We had our own stallion, bred mares, I broke many a 2 year old on our farm and for others in the area. It was fun, we shown the horses and did really well, but then it became a job. Every weekend at a show, and riding 3-4 horses a night, bathing, trimming feet, putting on shoes, it got old. My dad loved it, trail riding with my dad and mom was a high light on a Sunday afternoon, I then bought a buggy and we used our stallion as a buggy horse, my parents loved that. Great memories. JMHO

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Foxxy I now have a great lady and I don't have the stress I had when I was with my last wife. Yeah I know all about how I was the one who married her but believe me things really changed for the worse.

Far as work, well I tell the young guys to never forget that this is just what we do to support what we are.
Well said and so TRUE, Jimlerminez, I gotcha! JMO

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Foxxy, I ended up taking care of Standardbred race horses.I miss it every day.I hope to get to the fairgrounds this week!!
A member in our club races the standard bred horses. I want to ride in his sulky, it will seat 2 just to say I did it. Once in, I have nowhere to go except hang on. They are fast horses. JMO

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I used to work for very little money for small stables just because I got to spend hours every day on the track behind fast horses.When I would be warming horses up I would look at the folks in the clubhouse and I would be thinking that I was in the catbird seat because I was making my living, such as it was, doing what I loved.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I love working with the hounds always have. It's quiet different activity when someone is, let just say " acting out" everytime I was hunting or working with dogs in the yard. That was the stress. I always told her not to make me choose between her or the dogs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I love working with the hounds always have. It's quiet different activity when someone is, let just say " acting out" everytime I was hunting or working with dogs in the yard. That was the stress. I always told her not to make me choose between her or the dogs.
My buddy pat seems to be in the same boat... i told him it was rough sailing ahead as i knew his wife A long time befor he did through school, now if he gets to come run his dog with me it’s only about 10 minutes befor his phone starts blowing up and you don’t even have to guess who it is

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey Old Man Jim, My New Friend, I was raised with my PaPa and Uncle raising, training and racing standard bred horses as a hobby (really a second full time job…lol) I used to carry some of the horses to Vernon, NY, Rosecroft in Maryland and then the Ocean in Maryland when it first opened and paddocked their horses and others for side money. Absolutely loved it!! Had a 1/2 mile track at the family farm and used to love training with my PaPa. Sadly after my MaMa and PaPa passed away, greed moved into the family and it all went to pieces. Such as life I guess, but cool that you trained Standard Bred!!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts