1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have believed that working a dog when I have something else on my mind doesn't work out well. Always seemed like my stress was transmitted right down the lead and too the dog. If the dog is the cause of my stress then it's time for us to part. I have found that keeping my mind clear and just enjoying my dogs always seems to have best results.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
The idea Jim is you have be smarter then the dog, if the training starts to be frustrating for you or the dog it’s time to quit and do it some other day. Can’t let your emotions get in the way of training. Dogs will sense the feeling during training, just like when they can tell when a thunderstorm is coming.JMO

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I have believed that working a dog when I have something else on my mind doesn't work out well. Always seemed like my stress was transmitted right down the lead and too the dog. If the dog is the cause of my stress then it's time for us to part. I have found that keeping my mind clear and just enjoying my dogs always seems to have best results.
Couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I agree foxy but I'm not talking about being stressed from the dog. I'm talking about stress from other things in life.
Dogs don't stress me. I learned a long time ago that it's not the dogs fault if they don't meet my expectations.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Horses and hounds seem to work for me too, Circle.I'm going to take a bike ride along the old canal and the river and then spend a few hours with my snakes.I know that I'll feel better after that, especially if I can get a great grandkid or two to ride with me!!

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
When I was teaching Middle school and working as a Social Worker at a Psychiatric Hospital people would ask how do you do it on a day by day basis.
I tell them when the work day is over NOW my life begins, the 8 hours I work is just something I have to do. Once I left work and crossed the door way to go home I left work at my work place. It took a few years for me to learn that process.
One day a Psychiatric Patient asked me, who do I talk to so I can unwind, I told her I will talk to Lori my wife, also a Social Worker. My out let was running my dogs, usually for a couple of hours, Lori always encouraged it. God Bless Her! JMHO

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Lori is a city girl and I grew up on a dairy and hog farm, she would throw bales of hay on the elevator. We have always lived in the country and she will give me the low down on turkeys, deer, rabbits she sees going to and from town.
I always told her you can take the boy out of the country but not the country out of the boy. JMHO, LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts