Rabbit Dogs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas got home yesterday my 11 month old pup had a hump in her back and carrying her back legs underneath her.
she has a good attitude eating good.
just not a lot of movement in her rear. Has anyone seen this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
See below from a previous thread on back problems in beagles. 11 months is a little young for disk lesion but injury could precipitate it. Of course there are other possibilities. Examination by DVM is suggested.

Beagles are at risk for developing intervertebral disk lesions. The material from degenerated intervertebral disk (the cushion between vertebrae) can compress spinal cord. This results in pain and sometimes paralysis. It may be associated with injury in some cases but often is not associated with any known injury. Steroids and cage rest are often effective. However some dogs require surgery or in some cases do not recover. The outcome may depend upon the extent of injury to spinal cord and this may vary in each individual case. .

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had the same thing happen and spent 300 on antibiotics and pain meds . I believe it was from rough play with a pup she was in with .. unfortunately there was no fix and I had to put her down . It was heartbreaking to say the least... I think the vet knew that when he examined her the first time which really makes a man feel kicked when he's already down .. Hopefully you have a better outcome than I did .. rest in peace Purdy

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm really glad to hear that ! I watched mine suffer for almost three weeks with no improvement. She was the grittiest little bluetick beagle I have ever seen under 12 inches with the heart of an elephant. I sure do miss her. Its really nice your dog came out of it I would still continue to rest her for a while for sure .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts