Starting Puppies

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by bseger, Feb 17, 2010.

1. bseger

bseger New Member

At what age do most of you start your pups on wild rabbits?

2. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

starting pen at 5 months then to the wild for me

3. I take my pups at about 4 or 5 months, but of course I do'nt expect them to do anything till 7 or 8 months. But the pup I got now is almost 6 months and is starting to run. she jumps lots of rabbits and starts them, but the bigger dogs always run off with it and leave her.

4. I start taken them at about 5 months with a couple of old dogs

5. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

I've got 2 that are about 5 1/2 months. Going to start tacking them this weekend. I have always just started them in the wild.

6. Spini Boys

Spini Boys Moderator

I started taking them out with me when running the other hounds as soon as they can keep up with me. They try and run with the hounds at about 4 months, but before that, they have learned how to get through the brush, over fences, cross creeks and so on. It seems to make them start alot quicker too. My bud Kansas Mike taught me this trick, I was always using a starting pen at about 6 months, and Mikes were always running already, so I started doing what he was doing and it has worked out great.

7. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

I usually take mine to a starting pen at around 6 months old.

I might try to start one in the wild this spring just to see if I can. That used to be the way we started all of em but we had more rabbits back then.

8. john c

john c New Member

Usually right around 6 months old. I have one that started at 5 months but he was the exception.

9. I start mine at 10 weeks in a eye sight pen to get their interest up, I do that about once every two weeks for about 30 mins each time until they reach 4 months of age then they go with a single or two dog pack.