Starting pens

Discussion in 'Rabbit Hunting and Beagling' started by Jeff Gammon, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

What is the going rate?

2. beagleman01

beagleman01 Active Member

last one i was in was 65 for the month

3. Where was the one that was $65.00 for the month?

4. seavinc

seavinc New Member

im fencen in around 3 ac got 200 more ft of fence to put up and boy its been a lot more to it than i had pland on so 65 a month looks cheap

5. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

Putting up the fence is just the Beginning of the work - Thats set #1.

Keeping rabbits in the pen Step #2

Keeping the cover the right height Step #3

Keeping Feed year round Step #4

and I could go on, on, and on - etc .....

The work begins after the fence is put up.

Have fun and wish you luck.

6. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

The guy I use charges me $15 per week and I usually leave em there for two weeks.

He's cuttin' back though and isnt going to take any more people. Said it was too much work for the money. I dont blame him. I dont think Id do it for that price either if I spent that much money on a pen.

7. seavinc

seavinc New Member

whats the best rabbits to use in a pen san juans

8. Beagler282

Beagler282 Active Member

GA
    I've been paying $75 for a month.That's either starting or putting some running time on some young hounds to get them conditioned and running the line better.

9. MackC

MackC Moderator

Most people around here charge $3 a day for puppy starting and $5 a day to solo a dog. Seems high but if you work a full time job you can't give a pup near as much time as it can get from a training pen. I usually teach the pups to handle, ride, and chase tame rabbits before sending them to a pen.

10. I'm needing to get a young dog some solo time is there any pens with in three hours of me and there rate thanks

11. FB

FB Administrator Staff Member

Jeff Williams lives in E. Prairie, Mo. He has a starting pen and another pen that he conditions dogs in, plus he runs em on the outside too. Ive had him run a dog for me before and unless he's gone up its $75 per month. You dont have to worry about the dog sitting in the pen when its at his place either. He'll run the heck out of em.

573-225-6148

12. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

---------

100% wild rabbits is the ONLY way to go.

13. I agree with Bglenut. 100% wild rabbit only. Tame rabbits have a different scent -- much stronger. I sometimes wonder if allowing puppies to start on tame and then switching to wild might confuse them as to what we expect them to run thus encouraging running offgame. I know during hunting this year I had two of my younger dogs tuck tails and come back to me when we jumped a "swamp rabbit". They had been run only on cottontails. Guess they thought I would be upset. They did get back in the race eventually but were certainly confused at first.

Lewis

14. Hoot

Hoot New Member

s.c.
    Hey Lewis First time I have seen you reply on this site good to here from you again,still planning on calling you I hadnt forgot:up:You got your dog ready for Saturday

15. Bglenut

Bglenut New Member

JE Childers has a few pens in different sizes. He trains and Conditions your hounds year round. He charges $30.00 a week per hound. His kennels stays pretty busy all the time.

Here is his web site : http://www.amiteriverkennel.com/

He is a great guy and does a great job.

16. DismalDawg

DismalDawg New Member

I have a 5 acre starting pen and only use wild cottentail and swampers. I only keep 3 to 5 rabbits in the pen. I want a pup to have to look for game, not find one under every bush and run from one to another. I keep the cover very thick to encourage pups to really get in the tight spots to find the rabbit. I have had good luck with getting hard hunting dogs that can go and find rabbits even if there isn't tones to be found and run that rabbit until it is shot or holes up,then go find another in short order.

17. nutbush

nutbush New Member

Kevin Daniels has a starting pen, and will condition them outside the pen. He lives in Ripley, TN. 731-413-9127

18. Jeff Gammon

Jeff Gammon Active Member

I carried them to Jeff Williams last Friday. Plan on them staying for 2 weeks.

19. Beagler282

Beagler282 Active Member

GA
    I think kevin is one heck of a houndsman.I know if he and i lived closer he would be starting all of my hounds.He has based his lively hood off of training dogs for people and is one of the best.:thumb: