Rabbit Dogs banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, do you guys know of any starting pens in south carolina? I tried the 3 i know of around the midlands area and they are all booked up for the next month. I have 6 puppies that need started. Im 2 hours from every part of the state so i dont mind traveling. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Hey, do you guys know of any starting pens in south carolina? I tried the 3 i know of around the midlands area and they are all booked up for the next month. I have 6 puppies that need started. Im 2 hours from every part of the state so i dont mind traveling. Any help is much appreciated.
A lot of the starting pens are booked, I had to book my female and male pup 6 months ago for April 1st. I have a 3 month old that will go to the pen in the fall, had to book it 1 month ago. Its rough all over to get into staring pens, I still took my pups out so they learned the woods, handling well, and they have jumped rabbits.
If you find a pen make sure your dogs are ready to start, some dogs get into the pen and don't know what to do and it will burn up one and a half weeks of your month long starting time. JMO

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! I have taken them out 5 or 6 times for a few hours each time. I actually just dropped them off at a pen that a friend of a friend has. Looking forward to see how they do.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Their is a fellow down near Aiken that has one. Longlolly Kennels, Gene Redd. He is on Facebook.

·
Registered
253 Posts
A lot of the starting pens are booked, I had to book my female and male pup 6 months ago for April 1st. I have a 3 month old that will go to the pen in the fall, had to book it 1 month ago. Its rough all over to get into staring pens, I still took my pups out so they learned the woods, handling well, and they have jumped rabbits.
If you find a pen make sure your dogs are ready to start, some dogs get into the pen and don't know what to do and it will burn up one and a half weeks of your month long starting time. JMO
we have a couple pens in Alabama, and this is sound advice!! Start finding and booking your spots with a good trainer as soon as you know how many spots you’ll need!! 6 months ahead is perfect.
Absolutely work with your pups! Expose them to a tame rabbit if possible. Walk them around in the wild. HANDLE them. All of this will make a huge difference in how far along a trainer can get your pup, if he’s good.
For us, a good handling pup that recognizes what a rabbit is, will get started in a starting pen, moved to a bigger running pen much like running in the wild, and worked brace to learn how to pack up.
A shy pup that’s past that 6-8 month window..... we’re doing good to get them started.
A good trainer can help you locate the type dogs you’ll like also. Think about it, we see a LOT of different bloodlines. And they are NOT all the same
Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts