Rabbit Dogs banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
I use to squirrel hunt a lot . I remember leaving the gun in the woods by the bus stop when I got off the bus I would hunt until dark. I really enjoy eating them but I don’t get to go much anymore I’m normally running dogs when I have the free time until rabbit season comes in. This year I will be hunting them with my son so we should have some fun. Arky your season comes in early compared to ours. Ours comes in the beginning of September and that’s only been like that the last 10 years or so. When I was a kid it didn’t come in until October. Up here they have what we call wolves in there hide until after a few frost. I believe the real name is bot flies. Do you get those on them? It makes me not want them until there gone.

Used to squirrel hunt a lot but haven't for a few years. Gun of choice is a 32 caliber muzzle loader with 20 grains of 3F. It's a blast to sneak up on a tree with a bunch of grays cuttin.
That brings back memories of the first gun I ever held, when I was a kid in my grandpa's lap.I never got to shoot it, but that old rifle changed my life,as I was at least the 3rd generation to have held it.

That brings back memories of the first gun I ever held, when I was a kid in my grandpa's lap.I never got to shoot it, but that old rifle changed my life,as I was at least the 3rd generation to have held it.
Correction,I would have been the fourth generation, and the last, to have held that rifle.My mom's generation bought it at grandpa's auction and donated it to a museum.I have been known to take a grandkid to go visit it.

Grew up on a farm in the rural South. Our barn was about a mile from the house thru the woods and about 3 miles via the road. One of my chores was to water the mules. I had to put the bridles on them and walk them with the trace reins from the barn to the creek every morning and evening of every day. I got off the school bus walked thru the woods to the barn and led the mules to water and sat there until they drank. Then put them back into the barn. In the morning I would walk from the house to the barn with my 22 a Remington Targetmaster and leave the 22 in the corn crib. In the evening back to water the mules and feed them. Then I would make the walk home squirrel hunting as I went. So all 4 years of high school I basically hunted every day of season .I am probably one of the few members on this site that actually worked mules.

Grew up on a farm in the rural South. Our barn was about a mile from the house thru the woods and about 3 miles via the road. One of my chores was to water the mules. I had to put the bridles on them and walk them with the trace reins from the barn to the creek every morning and evening of every day. I got off the school bus walked thru the woods to the barn and led the mules to water and sat there until they drank. Then put them back into the barn. In the morning I would walk from the house to the barn with my 22 a Remington Targetmaster and leave the 22 in the corn crib. In the evening back to water the mules and feed them. Then I would make the walk home squirrel hunting as I went. So all 4 years of high school I basically hunted every day of season .I am probably one of the few members on this site that actually worked mules.
Yes you are likely one of the few here to have worked mules.My dad farmed with horses and mules and used a horse to get to school but he hated it.When they got a tractor he was done with animals and he could never understand or forgive me my love of them.

I had a team of halflinger mules that I worked to a wagon but no real work . I helped make sorghum molasses for several years but we used horses. I loved it but it was hot work.

My Dad always kept a team of mules until we could afford a tractor. Even after we bought a tractor we kept our mules for a lot of things like gathering corn in a wagon, plowing the corn when it got big enough and working in the garden. At about ten or eleven I made a huge mistake by talking my Dad into letting me work a mule to a "geewhiz". (Plow - seven tooth). From that time on I became a regular field hand.

Life long Squirrel Hunter Yes!

I love to Squirrel hunt. I hunt them for 10 days straight morning and evening creeping and stalking while camped out up river by boat in the Honey Island Swamp.

We always kill some hogs on this trip every year also.

I also set trot lines and limb lines with 1lb and up live jumbo Bluegill, Shell Crackers and Goggle-eye perch for big catfish while camped out. It's a blast to say the least!!!

When I retire we are planning to camp out every October for the whole month in the Honey Island Swamp if the Lord allows.

Life long Squirrel Hunter Yes!

I love to Squirrel hunt. I hunt them for 10 days straight morning and evening creeping and stalking while camped out up river by boat in the Honey Island Swamp.

We always kill some hogs on this trip every year also.

I also set trot lines and limb lines with 1lb and up live jumbo Bluegill, Shell Crackers and Goggle-eye perch for big catfish while camped out. It's a blast to say the least!!!

When I retire we are planning to camp out every October for the whole month in the Honey Island Swamp if the Lord allows.
I envy you!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.