Rabbit Dogs banner

Squirrel Hunters

4K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  OldManJim 
#1 ·
Although I deer hunt a few days a year, and have just now got back into rabbits, I am primarily a squirrel hunter. Season starts back on May 15th. I am ready to get in the spring woods and get after them.
I mainly use shotguns, and mostly a 410, but use .22’s some as well. Got a new to me .22lr last week. Real nice one owner rifle from the late 70’s. I’m gonna get it scoped and see what it will do.
Any of you guys life long squirrel hunters? I have been loving it for 38 years now.
Brown Wood Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

See less See more
#3 ·
squirrel hunted all my life, although haven't in last 2 yrs between picking up rabbit hunting and super busy after deer season, need to get after some I have on my place, my wife feeds our chickens scratch and a few other things as a snack in afternoons near their coop, some of the squirrels caught on, theirs 6-7 of them I sware are 5 lb

#11 ·
Used to do a lot of squirrel hunting years ago cause squirrels used open up 2 weeks before rabbit season... I have an old friend I haven’t talked to for awhile he was dead serious about squirrel hunting . He shot typical Grey and red squirrels also shot Fox squirrels to top off his collection black squirrel as well , I wonder if he ever gotten the all white squirrel he always talked about he had each species mounted as well pretty cool he called it his Grand slam of squirrels

#12 ·
White grey squirrels are fairly common where I live.I haven't gotten a good enough look to see if they are albinos.So far I've only seen them in town.Usually rifles with Monte Carlo combs ,white line spacers and basket weave checkering make me break out in a rash but I have wanted a rifle like that since they first came out.

#13 ·
Cut my teeth on squirrel hunting and learned how to shoot. Dad gave me a ss 22 and 1 shell and said bring home breakfast. I tried to never disappoint him. I still have that 22 in the back of my gun safe. I passed it down to my son and it is now his sons. Still enjoy squirrel hunting I just don’t go much anymore. Always had a squirrel dog till lately.
Nice rifle Arky

#15 ·
My dad sat me under a hickory tree in cut off Creek refuge in south Arkansas when I was small enough to carry and that’s been a few years ago probably 44-45 he would make a loop and come back and Check on me.He would probably go to prison for doing that these days lol but it must have got me hooked because I hunted tree rats every year since then I know one year I kept count and killed close to 1000 I cleaned them and gave them to neighbors.One of my old neighbors said he had no idea how many squirrels his freezer would hold but he learned that year (400) up till the last couple when I’ve been trying to build me a hunting beagle pack that I’m satisfied with I hunted squirrels like I was mad at them.

#20 · (Edited)
Oh god, I know this might sound bad, but I hate mice and squirrels. They are animals and God's creatures, but I can't do anything with myself. When I see them, I feel scared and disgusted. Once, I've found a nest on the roof of my house. I was frightened because I thought those were mice. But when I called the service from this site https://tampa.aaacwildliferemoval.com/squirrel-removal, they put a squirrel removal there and said that it was a squirrel's nest and not a mice nest as I thought. I guess I was too scared, and that was why I thought those were mice. My dad is still making jokes about me and my fear of mice.

#21 ·
I use to squirrel hunt a lot . I remember leaving the gun in the woods by the bus stop when I got off the bus I would hunt until dark. I really enjoy eating them but I don’t get to go much anymore I’m normally running dogs when I have the free time until rabbit season comes in. This year I will be hunting them with my son so we should have some fun. Arky your season comes in early compared to ours. Ours comes in the beginning of September and that’s only been like that the last 10 years or so. When I was a kid it didn’t come in until October. Up here they have what we call wolves in there hide until after a few frost. I believe the real name is bot flies. Do you get those on them? It makes me not want them until there gone.

#25 ·
Grew up on a farm in the rural South. Our barn was about a mile from the house thru the woods and about 3 miles via the road. One of my chores was to water the mules. I had to put the bridles on them and walk them with the trace reins from the barn to the creek every morning and evening of every day. I got off the school bus walked thru the woods to the barn and led the mules to water and sat there until they drank. Then put them back into the barn. In the morning I would walk from the house to the barn with my 22 a Remington Targetmaster and leave the 22 in the corn crib. In the evening back to water the mules and feed them. Then I would make the walk home squirrel hunting as I went. So all 4 years of high school I basically hunted every day of season .I am probably one of the few members on this site that actually worked mules.

#32 ·
My Dad always kept a team of mules until we could afford a tractor. Even after we bought a tractor we kept our mules for a lot of things like gathering corn in a wagon, plowing the corn when it got big enough and working in the garden. At about ten or eleven I made a huge mistake by talking my Dad into letting me work a mule to a "geewhiz". (Plow - seven tooth). From that time on I became a regular field hand.

#36 ·
Life long Squirrel Hunter Yes!

I love to Squirrel hunt. I hunt them for 10 days straight morning and evening creeping and stalking while camped out up river by boat in the Honey Island Swamp.

We always kill some hogs on this trip every year also.

I also set trot lines and limb lines with 1lb and up live jumbo Bluegill, Shell Crackers and Goggle-eye perch for big catfish while camped out. It's a blast to say the least!!!

When I retire we are planning to camp out every October for the whole month in the Honey Island Swamp if the Lord allows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.